Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New leather

Default New leather

Back around the first of the year I got the idea to start making my own leather gear. I ordered a side of leather from Tandy in Anchorage, and spent quite a bit of time reading/researching ideas online. This is the second belt and holster I put together, added a cartridge slide and sheath to match. This has been a great hobby, and with a little money and alot of time has really turned out great. I made these from scratch, had to work up my own patterns and such. Nothing professional, but strong and practical.

..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

WOW! You made that!? Looks great. I can't tell it wasn't made by a professional. If you want to get into the custom holster business let me know. I have a Buckmark pistol with a Bushnell Holo Sight on it that I would love to have a holster for.

Well done, mace!

Keep up the good work and keep showing off your projects...

that is really nice work there ..good job

Now thats lots of stiching.You are much better at the craft than I will ever be but I still enjoy makeing the stuff myself. You sir are a craftsman,Salute

On the topic of stitching, are you doing this by hand or are you using some sort of sewing machine?

Looks like a good hand saddle ot lock stitch to me and I bet he has some new calluses on his hands.

Great job! Now you will be giving leather to everyone for Christmas.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Looks like a good hand saddle ot lock stitch to me and I bet he has some new calluses on his hands.

Great job! Now you will be giving leather to everyone for Christmas.
    Start with me! Start with me!!

All the stitching is done by hand using the saddle stitch. And yes, I have built up a few calluses.

Default new project

I have been working on a new rig over the past couple of days. This one is a copy of Doc Holiday's Tombstone rig. The finish is not where I want it yet. I have put several coats of neatsfoot oil on it, can't seem to get it dark enough. The cartridge holder can be interchanged for one in a different caliber to allow the holster to be used with other guns.

Looks great! If you put it in the sun it will darken in about 2 weeks to look like your other rig. Or just pick up some Fibing's leather die (I like their light brown) it works great and goes on even, not dark and light like most dies. Stay away from neetsfoot oil on anything with linen stitch work, it’s great for leather but rots cotton something offal. I use 120 grit sandpaper on my cut edges after the beveling tool. Then after die I burnish them slick with bees wax and a hardwood dowel so the little tufts lay down tight. You are doing flat out great and will soon be as good as anyone if you keep at it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i like the doc holiday rig that a good rig there..

Looks great to me.

That's fine craftsmanship there. I prefer the belt rig but all fine work. Im reading a book about John Henry Holliday's life. He did like the concealed carry under his coat and he was a dangerous man to rouse.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Looks great! If you put it in the sun it will darken in about 2 weeks to look like your other rig.
    Thanks for the tip. When the sun decides to return to our part of the world I will try this.

Default Ballistol

Put some ballistol on the interior (non-finished) side and it will darken right up.

You can mold the leather to your pistola by getting the leather really wet and then either by hand or with clamps work it in and then let it dry with the gun in it. Wrap the gun in saran wrap first.

I use clamps and a dense but flexible foam sheets that came as packing. I use wood clamps to secure the foam tight after working it by hand a little - it works awesome.

I hung this out in the sun for four or five days, looks much better. I am really happy with the final result.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Very nice work Mace. Thanks for sharing.

those are way cool!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    I have been working on a new rig over the past couple of days. This one is a copy of Doc Holiday's Tombstone rig. The finish is not where I want it yet. I have put several coats of neatsfoot oil on it, can't seem to get it dark enough. The cartridge holder can be interchanged for one in a different caliber to allow the holster to be used with other guns.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    I hung this out in the sun for four or five days, looks much better. I am really happy with the final result.
    Much improved! I think it could stand a few more days in the sun, but I imagine that will happen naturally over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast