Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trailer recommendations??

Default trailer recommendations??

My wife and I finally bought mt bikes and we thinking about getting a couple of trailers for overnight trips and maybe even a few hunting trips. I used the search function and it appears the "bob" trailer is the most recommended. Can any body give me a few details on what trailer they used and how well it worked? I'm curious about how much weight someone can comfortably pull. Is REI the best place to pick one up (we live in anchorage) or can we find a better deal online?

Thanks for the help.
    bnkwnto

You can pick one up in my garage if you'd like to check it out. Seriously, I wouldn't mind lending you my Bob trailer for a weekend ride if you want to try before you buy. I really like it, but it does change the feel of your ride when heavily loaded. They claim that 70 lbs is the limit. I've been right about there, but probably not over. It's not noticeable when you're going straight and level, but you will feel it pushing you around corners if you've got speed, and at very low speeds it can sway you back and forth. Overall they're really useful, though. I've grown to really like mine when we go fishing on the Russian. We ride the 3 miles up to the falls in 1/5 of the time it used to take us to hike, and the ride back to the truck with a couple of limits of salmon is a breeze compared to humping it out on our bike. My next goal is a bike-based hunt using the Bob, but I haven't tried it yet.

Incidentally, go with the normal Bob. I talked to a number of people that had the one with the rear shock, and not one of them thought it offered them any increase in performance.

Thumbs up BOB Ibex

Bnkwnto,

I have the BOB Ibex(with shock) it takes some of the bounce out of the rear of your bike. I've biked mine all over the Kenai Peninsula with my 29er mountain bike and this winter I towed it behind my snow bike with ease (had to modify my bob fork a little for my winter bike). I bought mine through the mail and it was fully loaded with the stuff I wanted on it, rear rack, Dry bag, cargo net, cargo liner ect.....I got a better deal on mine with shipping than I could find the basic trailer for here and I looked all over before I bought mine. Copy what Brian said it will change the feel of your bike a little but with a little riding time you will get used to it. I used mine a little for hunting last fall, fishing the Russian is a breeze like Brian said it's all down hill on the way out and the trailer will haul a small ice chest full of fish with ease. I know I've had 100+ lbs on it hauling cinder blocks around last summer to get in better shape only trouble with that was if you stop and lean the bike it will try and tip you over. If your on the Kenai and want, your more than welcome to come use mine for a weekend and try it out it takes about 30 seconds to put it on a bike and your off. PM me and I'll send you the link to the place I bought my trailer they are very easy to deal with and I got to choose how my BOB was set up and I recieved it in 5 days from the time I ordered it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishingis4play; 03-15-2010 at 16:51. Reason: couldn't spell:)

Thumbs up forgot

forgot to mention I have my BOB setup with 4 water bottle cages on the back so I don't have to carry as much in my pack and with the rear rack on the BOB I can carry an extra set of pannier bags for more gear or food. Good luck and look foward to seeing you out on the trails. Steve

Default thanks for the info

Thanks for the help!
    Brian if you want someone to try a bike based hunt with you just let me know. You are about the only I know that would be crazy enough to try a hunt like that. Shoot me a PM closer to the bears waking up and we will set something up.

I'd love to join you for a bike-based hunt! Alas, I have a new little one arriving in early June, so I'm not sure how reliable a partner I'll be this spring, but I'll keep it in mind. I might be able to pull a weekend, but my #1 priority this year is putting my nephew on a bear. I'd like to make it happen, though.

I've been thinking about bike hunting a fair bit as well. I think all the trails here in the interior are well suited to using a bike. I googled "bike hunting" a few months back and found an article about a guy coyote calling with a bike but nobody after any thing big.

After some searching I found a bike trailer that had a bigger limit that a BOB- I think it was called the "flatbed" or similar.

Let's keep this thread updated- fascinating topic.

The way to make bike hunting really work is to find good trails in non-motorized areas. If you're competing against folks on ATVs, there's really no advantage to it. If you're competing against walk-in hunters on a trail that is solid enough for a bike, though, I think you'd be in business. I've got a couple ideas, especially for black bear. Just need to make it happen now.

I guess if you don't have an ATV and don't really want one, taking a bike on ATV trails isn't a bad plan. No advantage but no disadvantage either. I seem to see more critters on my bike though- maybe a noise thing?

I've sort of toyed with the idea of using a bike in the Delta Controlled use area- I know horses and atvs are out, but don't recall ever seeing a thing about a bike...hmmm- that would make the walk to the Granites a little easier.

Wheels are turning now...

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've sort of toyed with the idea of using a bike in the Delta Controlled use area- I know horses and atvs are out, but don't recall ever seeing a thing about a bike...hmmm- that would make the walk to the Granites a little easier.
    Absolutely. That is one of the handful of areas that seem prime for a bike hunt. Another is the CUA on the north side of the Denali Highway. I'd also be curious about the Yanert CUA, but I don't know if the trail that runs in there is good enough for a bike.

I bought BOB trailers for my wife and I 2 years ago and have been on 2 hunts with them. One successful and one we came empty. On the successful one I was able to put all the meat from our caribou (we hiked it 9 miles out just to get it to our bikes and trailers on the trail that was good enough to ride) in my bob trailer which was about 90-100 lbs (yes it was a little caribou ) and load my wife's trailer up with a bunch of the gear with about 50-60 pounds. I can say that it does get squirrely on ya with 90+ pounds for sure, but sure beats having 130+ pounds on your back and walking out. Heck I'd rather push my bike and trailer with 100+ pounds in the trailer and 30-40 pounds on my back and come out in one trip.

Here is a pic of my wife holding my bike and trailer up with the caribou loaded up ready to ride back. She's looking a little tired after 18 miles and 12 hours of packing that day. The last bit of biking was great as to make only one trip with gear and meat rather than leapfrogging the stuff like we had been all day.

I'm planning on going black bear hunting in non-motorized area here in May with them as well for several days of hunting. Maybe we can connect on that Brian.

Anyone have any input how well these trailers work with a soft tail? My bike is full suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Anyone have any input how well these trailers work with a soft tail? My bike is full suspension.
    Works fine for me. I've got a full suspension as well, and while I've never towed one with a hardtail to compare, I've been happy with its performance.

I've towed a trailer some with a hardtail for several years and didn't have any issues- albeit I was not going off trail very much pulling a wailing young'n in a kiddie trailer.

That said I rode a friend's full suspension for the first time last fall...sold the hardtail and I'm actively looking for a full suspension bike this spring. Less efficient but the ride is easier on my middle aged bones.

I wondered if anyone has experience with a 2 wheel trailer (Burley, etc) vs. a single wheel (BOB) for trail use. Thinking the single wheel is a big advantage due to profile although it probably would push you around a bit more and hold less weight.

Thumbs up full suspension

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    I have a Gary Fisher full suspension bike with a composite rear triangle and I towed the heck out of my BOB Ibex loaded with 100+ lbs of cinder blocks in it last summer with no flexing issues, couldn't tell the difference between my hardtail or softy.

Default I finally ordered one

It should be here by the 1st! I'm going to try it out and then decide whether or not to get my wife one. We may get her one that will carry my dog.
    So what's the average speed you can expect on a decent trail on a bike? We normally hike 2 to 3.5 miles an hour so I expect on a fairly flat trail we could go a lot faster.

Default speed depends

you should be able to cruise almost the same speed you would normally ride at, you may notice your a little slower going up hills and you'll be using your brakes more heading down the hills depending how heavy your trailer is, or you may not even notice its back there. Which setup did you end up with?

Default bike hunting

Been doing it for years with panniers then a bob...since 1991. Hauled a whole caribou out 19 miles, another 7 miles, moose 8 miles. Have great video...put over 150lbs in a bob and have only had Cannondale replace my frame (rear swing arm) 3 times beforee they redesigned for my needs. Now with hydrolic disc brakes (no cable freeze) I need to glue the tires to the rim so I don't rip the valve stems off.

Gluing the tires to the rims, huh? Interesting idea. What kind of glue are you using?

As for pulling a moose, how many trips did you have to make? I've got an idea of a place to try it, but want to make sure I budget enough time to get it out. I'm thinking 6 trips would be reasonable?

Wink found a new use for BOB

We went to the store together what do you haul in your BOB?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast