Thread: Any suggestions?

Default Any suggestions?

I have an old Winchester M-59 superlight sitting in my safe that I don't know what to do with. I just don't shoot it.
    My Grandpa made the stock that is on it, and it is well checkered and balances great, but I just don't shoot it. I've thought about selling it, but always end up feeling like I would be dishonoring his (GrandPa Eric) memory if I did. From what I understand it is Winchester's first attempt at a super light autoloader. What I DO know is that is does not like light loads (won't eject the hulls). But this may be a vent or ring issue.
    I don't have a mantle to hang it over and I really don't have room in my safe for a gunsock queen.
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these guns?
    Any suggestions on what to do with it?
    Grits

Default grandpa

Sounds like to me you need a bigger gun safe. The way you are wording this, it sounds like you would feel real bad about selling this. Do you have children to pass this down to? Or a niece or a nephew that are related to this grandfather? The gun should be kept and passed on to family. If no family sell the rifle and buy something you want. I myself have a number of guns my grandfather gave me two of which I've never fired. One is a weatherby 300 mag, the other is a smith and wesson number 1 1/2 and it shoots 32 rimfire I have ammo for both but never shoot them. They will go to my son and I can tell him they came from his great grandfather.

If you are asking the question you might just as well sell it.JMHO

Don't sell grandpa's gun, I think you would regret it in the long run. you can always pull it out of the safe and enjoy it and think of all the hunts your grandpa had with it. if it could only talk

Default Grandpa's gun

+1 to what AKBONE said

Yup, bigger safe.

Take it from my personal experience...don't sell ANY gun that has sentimental value. I've been paying for that lesson now for 30+years.

And it may SEEM like it's just "doing nothing" sitting in the gunsafe, but I GUARANTEE you that it's GOOD karma is rubbing off on your other guns.
    Your gut is telling you this.

Dont sell Grampa's gun, especuially if he made the stock! Nuff said...

'Nough said is right. I decided to quit whinning and fix it up. Maybe run some bismuth loads through it occasionally on his BDay. I found a site that has replacement barrels for M-59s. They are the original barrels. Found one that is 99% for less than $200. Gonna refinish the stock to smooth it out and make it prettier.

Gonna pass it along to my son when he's old enough to appreciate that sellin your guns isn't the way to go no matter what life hands you. It's a decision I've had to make and failed miserably the first two times. So I've learned it now and I guess he'll have to figure that one out too. AFTER he does, I'll leave him GrandPa's gun. I have more faith in him than myself. He's cut from a different cloth. He's been the mature one in the family since he was 8. Just a tough, sensible and calm guy. I admire him,
    and he's only 12.
    Grits