Thread: Spring Bear Hunt DB237 Kodiak

Default Spring Bear Hunt DB237 Kodiak

Hey All,

My Dad and I are headed down to Kodiak for a spring bear hunt in may. Just wondering if anyone has hunted the aliulik peninsula before? We have hunted and been successful on other parts of Kodiak. Just wanted to pick your brains about this area.

Man thats a big rough wild area. I have spent some time hunting, fishing, hiking and sailing from Kaguyak to Sulua. From a boat we always see spring bear at Cape Trinity/ Russian Harbor area.

The coast line from Humpy Cove on around to Old Kaguyak is no where you want to consider bringing a raft. The big Lagoon that drains into Russian Harbor is pretty neat a shallow channel about 1 mile long and 3-4' deep on a 9' tide takes you into the big lagoon that is very deep nearly 20 fa in some places. Its an easy place for a float plane and plenty safe for a raft and can afford a good range for hunting.

Lots a big bears roam the area and some stay out most of the winter. You will see little gravel piles on the tundra. Its from bear scat. The beaches have a lot of energy and strong currents that thows a lot of food up and the bears feed in the kelp rolls on all the little critters that wash ashore.

Most of the terain is pretty low on the outer pennisula. The big lagoon from Portage Bay or access from Kaguyak will give you some higher elevations and river /stream valleys. I think the guide usually sets up in Portage Bay.

The area in the Portage Lagoon is pretty big and at high tide you can get around in a raft. The outlet is very trechorous in any westerly weather. Be careful if you go there with a raft. Bring a hand held marine VHF and you can pick up the continuous weather broadcast on W5 and also in an emergincy the folks across Alitak Bay standby on ch.79.
    Good Luck

Default Man eating Coyotes

I don't want to distract from the previous posts, but this is what I heard about the area.

I heard they have some amazing rabid man eating coyotes around the middle bay area. Nothing like that to get your heart thumping!

-HammBone

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I don't want to distract from the previous posts, but this is what I heard about the area.

I heard they have some amazing rabid man eating coyotes around the middle bay area. Nothing like that to get your heart thumping!

-HammBone
    What?????? That makes no sense! What are you talking about?

Default ???

I didn't think there were coyotes on kodiak and a man eater ya right

Coyotes and foxes where planted in the late 60's to get rid of some of the rodents and infected by the wolves in the early 80's. They are not man eaters just rabid, only attacked and bitten abot a dozen people. In your area there is a shortage of decent bears due to the wild packs. If you do a search on ADN you will find plenty of info.

Exclamation off the record

Hello Paul

PM me if you would like any additional info "Off the Record"

Default "For ON the Record"

Paul,

I appreciate the other fellow chiming in to back me up about the rabid dogs in the area. You really got to watch out when you are out there in the wild. You'll probly be fine if you don't go jogging down the beach with headphones... like someone did 200 miles west of your hunting area... it didn't end well, if you follow ADN you know what I am talking about.

I was having a few drinks with a gentleman this last week who homesteaded and did commercial clamming in the area you are talking about. He told me several stories about nice little 'ol yeller doggies that would come out of no where and then.... Bamb, they are all over you with fangs and saliva. He said it was some of his Korean war trench-shovel fighting moves that saved his life. I think all in all, over the years, two dogs fell to his commercial claming shovel.

Good luck on your hunt.