Thread: Spear hunting?

Default Spear hunting?

Anyone ever tried this?----->

http://www.huntingwithspears.com/

I looked for more info and apparently the state I was raised in (ROLL TIDE!) has an legitimate spear season. The link below is to the download page of Alabama's regs. Just search "spear" when you get it downloaded.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/season-limits/10seasons/

What does this have to do with Alaska? Mr. Morris' "Spear tally" includes, among other things, Elk, Buffalo, bear, wolves, sheep, goats and various species of deer. Moose is suspiciously absent. Who's gonna petition F&G to spear bears over bait and does the 5 mile corridor apply to spears??? Happy reading.

maybe i should have searched first...there are two earlier posts about the same thing. Sorry bout that. I thought it was interesting to see that Alabama has the term "spear" in their regs with seasons and bag limits.

Good thread, nonetheless.

Id love to lance Caribou from a moving snowgo,or a boat, in a close up and personal harvest, if it were legal.

T'was once "THE" way to go untill about 130 years ago, with Polar, Browns, Black bears all done in with a spear, as were most all animals, right up to Bowhead Whales. Most often partnerd with a Bow and arrows.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I've been practicing with spears, but have not had an opportunity to take an animal with one yet. I asked the wildlife troopers if spear hunting was okay on the Haul Road, and they said no, it does not meet the archery specifications. I had thought about putting in a proposal to allow spear hunting up there, but didn't get around to it. I guess I'll have to give it another try off the Ivishak this year.

Next time I go ox hunting, I'll have my spear along.

i read about how natives used to spear brown bears digging the butt of the spear in the ground as it comes at you... talk about having to be a manly man to try something like that. if anyone around has done and survived this you sir or maam' are the ultimate hunter.... or mentally unstable. sounds fun though.

Default so easy...a caveman can do it

I'd try it, I seen pictures of cavemen taking down woolly mammoths, and giant cave bears with spears.....

I skimmed thru the regs...I didn't see anything about spears, but I'll look again...if you can hunt with stick bow, you be able to spear...Your thoughts????

Skagdog, you don't need any permission to use a spear over bait for black bears. I just wish they'd allow this for brown bears, to thin out a few.
    Spear hunting is legal. It is not prohibited under the General Hunting Restrictions, which you can review on pages 18-20 in the hunting regulations. It's so easy, a caveman can do it! Just have a plan and some type of back up to keep the odds in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I'd try it, I seen pictures of cavemen taking down woolly mammoths, and giant cave bears with spears.....

I skimmed thru the regs...I didn't see anything about spears, but I'll look again...if you can hunt with stick bow, you be able to spear...Your thoughts????
    What kind of camera's did they use back in mammoth hunting days?

The regs define archery equipment, and a spear does not meet that criteria. Because of this, spears can only be used in general season hunts that aren't limited to a certain type of weapon. All hunts that are archery only are off limits to spear hunting.

I made a spear a couple of months ago and have been practicing with it off my deck. They are amazingly accurate! I got a bail of hay for a target and can consistently get a 8-10" groups. I even moved the bail out 15yds from the deck and had two bulls eyes out of my first three shots.

Baiting isn't allowed where I am at so I may have to plan a little trip to somewhere that does, or wait until fall.

The neighbor kids sure get a kick out of watching me huck that thing around.