Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: Whittier 4-15 ?

  1. #1
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default Whittier 4-15 ?

    Who's planning on going out of whittier for the shrimp opener? It would be nice to put a face to some of these names. I've spoke with J.Rogers and plan on hooking up with him and another boat for the weekend. Anyone else headed out?
    Boatless

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    328

    Default

    As long as the weather is good I plan on being out there. Probably head out the evening of the 14th and stay until the 17th.
    Dave

  3. #3
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Yeah I plan on staying through the weekend too. Should be fun. Do you have an idea of what part of the sound you are headed to? Sounds like we may head south for butt and king fishing if weather is good.
    Boatless

  4. #4
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    I might head out Friday. I suspect that Whittier was hit hard by this last storm. I have seen 10+feet of snow there in mid April. Not much in the way of parking. The launch can be tricky, too. Here are a couple pictures from April 15, 2008 when we splashed Patience.





    I didn't like the idea of "getting walked by the dog". Two diesels are better than one. They received 350+ inches that winter. I am not sure how much they have had this season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  5. #5

    Default

    We`ll be out on the 16th (early tunnel) and headed to and around Latouche, Knight Is. and Jackpot Bay and will be there all weekend...white Fish-Rite call sign Life to Live. Look forward to meeting a few people too.


  6. #6
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Well now I'm really jealous! I have way too many tasks to get the boat ready to make it by the 15th, not to mention the snow removal... if I started shoveling now I might have the trailer tongue exposed by then. Oh well just cause I won't be there doesn't mean I don't wish you all the best. If I were you I would start trolling from Nelly Juan down. Theres alot of feed in front of Foul, Main, and Falls Bay. There is a hella early wild king run and they are big fish, I caught a 61 pounder in my gillnet (red gear) when Main Bay hatchery had that early run of Eyak stock sockeyes (they did away w/ BTW). This was May 15th, in fact I caught 14 that day, 7 in one set! I was just drifting out in front of Falls Bay. They were all friggn toads and it surprised me because they were already kind of blushed. I'm pretty sure they head up Kings Bay, but not certain. I would think trolling in front of Falls Bay down through the Crafton bottle neck that you would nail em. If you're going all the way down to Jack pot I would imagine it would be killer off Point Knowle as well. these fish were not deep at all maybe 6 feet so your fish finder doesn't work, remember the current generally runs to the south 90% of the time . Let us know how it went and Good luck hope its sunny w/ zero wind

  7. #7
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I might head out Friday. I suspect that Whittier was hit hard by this last storm. I have seen 10+feet of snow there in mid April. Not much in the way of parking. The launch can be tricky, too. Here are a couple pictures from April 15, 2008 when we splashed Patience.





    I didn't like the idea of "getting walked by the dog". Two diesels are better than one. They received 350+ inches that winter. I am not sure how much they have had this season.

    did you have chains on too?
    Boatless

  8. #8
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    did you have chains on too?
    No chains, but my tires are double studded. I never slid, but it was nice to know that the other truck was there. On the retrieval, I was right on the bumper of the other truck. I wanted as much momentum as I could build before hitting the ice. The harbor did a great job sanding the launch and I probably could have done it solo.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  9. #9
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    thanks. It sounds like it's supposed to warm up here in the next couple days, so maybe there is some hope. maybe I'll see you out there.
    Boatless

  10. #10
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    That would be fun. I have had some great weather days out there in late April.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Well now I'm really jealous! I have way too many tasks to get the boat ready to make it by the 15th, not to mention the snow removal... if I started shoveling now I might have the trailer tongue exposed by then. Oh well just cause I won't be there doesn't mean I don't wish you all the best. If I were you I would start trolling from Nelly Juan down. Theres alot of feed in front of Foul, Main, and Falls Bay. There is a hella early wild king run and they are big fish, I caught a 61 pounder in my gillnet (red gear) when Main Bay hatchery had that early run of Eyak stock sockeyes (they did away w/ BTW). This was May 15th, in fact I caught 14 that day, 7 in one set! I was just drifting out in front of Falls Bay. They were all friggn toads and it surprised me because they were already kind of blushed. I'm pretty sure they head up Kings Bay, but not certain. I would think trolling in front of Falls Bay down through the Crafton bottle neck that you would nail em. If you're going all the way down to Jack pot I would imagine it would be killer off Point Knowle as well. these fish were not deep at all maybe 6 feet so your fish finder doesn't work, remember the current generally runs to the south 90% of the time . Let us know how it went and Good luck hope its sunny w/ zero wind
    Thanks much for the heads-up on the King fishery. I was looking forward to some trolling while out there but in all honesty I was just going to look for a trend of markings or bait and try to work it. Your suggestions should put us in better territory...again thank you!

    One place I`m not familiar with that you noted is Point Knowles...can`t find it on my maps.

  12. #12
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Thanks much for the heads-up on the King fishery. I was looking forward to some trolling while out there but in all honesty I was just going to look for a trend of markings or bait and try to work it. Your suggestions should put us in better territory...again thank you!

    One place I`m not familiar with that you noted is Point Knowles...can`t find it on my maps.
    I may not have spelled correctly, Pt knowle is after Eshamy bay its next point as you're heading south east, after you round pt knowle you'll be heading due south. its like the narrowest part of knight is passage and a huge traveling area for fish coming in the sound or local feeders for that matter

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I may not have spelled correctly, Pt knowle is after Eshamy bay its next point as you're heading south east, after you round pt knowle you'll be heading due south. its like the narrowest part of knight is passage and a huge traveling area for fish coming in the sound or local feeders for that matter

    Found it...Nowell Pt. We`ll give it a shot.

  14. #14
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    One of my favorite April photos....


    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  15. #15
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    This one too...

    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  16. #16
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    I just got my PWS shrimp permit today, one more step towards being ready to go out! When I was there I was planning on picking up a Noth Gulf Coast shrimping permit as well, but they don't have them printed yet, even though the shrimping opens on April 15th there as well. They said that they expected these permits in around April 1st.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  17. #17
    Member Larsenvega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    348

    Default

    I was down in Whittier on Saturday and snapped these pics with my phone. Pretty cold and quite a bit of snow out there. To top it off, there was about a quarter inch of ice radiating out from the boats and slips in the harbor! Picked up my $120 season launch permit and $450 pack of tunnel tickets while I was there. Ouch!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    973

    Default

    If things go right I will be heading out of Valdez for the opener - Weather permitting we will be about 1/2 way between Valdez and Whittier. Hopefully we will hit the same weather as last year.

  19. #19
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Thanx Larsenvega

    Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I was down in Whittier on Saturday and snapped these pics with my phone. Pretty cold and quite a bit of snow out there. To top it off, there was about a quarter inch of ice radiating out from the boats and slips in the harbor! Picked up my $120 season launch permit and $450 pack of tunnel tickets while I was there. Ouch!
    Thanks for the pics! They remind me that I'm not missing a whole lot. Last year my new boat arrived at whittier on 4/5 on the barge from Seattle, of course there was still plenty of work to do and the rock slide closed the road so I rode the train from Anch, what a night mare! I decided I was going to walk to the Anchor to get a burger. There wasn't anybody around so I took the short cut over the rr tracks.....WRONG MOVE! The snow was almost to the top of the power line and I got to close to a power pole, I sunk to my chest in snow! Thank God I stopped there, I had to swim out lol. I had visions of sinking deep so I had my cell phone in my hand just in case. Could you imagine dying right there in Whittier because you were trapped behind Joes place?

  20. #20
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    I wana go!!!!
    Right now it's to much for me yo handle my boat with my knee
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •