Thread: Opinions on Oregon Trail vs Cast performance

Default Opinions on Oregon Trail vs Cast performance

I am thinking about building some rounds for the .44 since the math on buying and practicing with AK Backpacker ammo does not work out very well. It is fun to shoot but the wallet has issues these days.

I am looking for opinions on the Oregon Trail bullets verses the Cast Performance bullets.

And there are these Barnes Busters. Anyone used them?

Have you thought about using Lee Stoner's bullets? He makes excellent cast bullets and at a better price then what you are looking at. He's located in the valley.

Default stoner bullets

Are they the big hard cast bullets with gas checks?

I have a box of his wad cutter plain lead ones for plinking that I bought years ago at a gun show and they are great buttets. (at least I think they are stoner bullets have not looked at the box in years)

Another one is ARnies bullets here in Anchorage not a bad bulletm
    for the price. Those Stoner castbullets were nice and priced good.
    The cost of shipping is crazy, if you order from the lower48
    I did buy some cast bullets from boondocks
    they are made in Nevada 500 for 52 dollars.

Default Oregon trail

It has been a while since I got some of Oregon Trail bullets, but the ones that I got for the 44 and 45-70 were good. As for shipping cost, the post office has this crazy thing call 'flat rate boxes'. The times that I have ordered from Oregon Trails they stuffed the bullets in one of these boxes and shipped them. Very cost to ship. The people at the post office hated me but.....
    I really like the 'Tureshot' 430 gr FPGC for the 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post

I have a box of his wad cutter plain lead ones for plinking that I bought years ago at a gun show and they are great buttets. (at least I think they are stoner bullets have not looked at the box in years)

He has a fairly large selection to choose from and I'm almost certain if you want gas checks he can do that too. It's only a phone call to find out. Very nice guy to talk to.

I shoot Stoners for plinking and because he doesn’t have a .452” mold as big as I want I buy CPs for my bear protection rounds. Both make very good cast but the shipping on the CPs sucks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yea he has gas check hard cast. In 45Colt/454/460 (.452") I think he goes up to I think 320 or 330g. Don't know about his 44 stuff though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Right now MidawUSA has Bullet Miester bullets in 44-240SWC, 1500 for 123.99 w/free shipping don't know about you guys that is a hell of a deal! I bought some.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Right now MidawUSA has Bullet Miester bullets in 44-240SWC, 1500 for 123.99 w/free shipping don't know about you guys that is a hell of a deal! I bought some.

Between those and the ones we picked up at Boondocks we should be set for 44 for some time.

Well Bronco between you and me we will have over 4,000 bullets LOL...

I am thinking about building some rounds for the .44 since the math on buying and practicing with AK Backpacker ammo does not work out very well. It is fun to shoot but the wallet has issues these days.

I am looking for opinions on the Oregon Trail bullets verses the Cast Performance bullets.

And there are these Barnes Busters. Anyone used them?
    I've used both as well as Beartooth. All gas checked versions. All worked ok in my S&W. My Beartooths were sized to .432 which work best in my Winchester Trapper.

The Barnes busters are sized to .429 and may work ok in a revolver but I suspect will be lacking in a Marlin or Winchester due to the sizing. I've not tried them though.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think the OT bullets are too hard.

The ones I tried in 357 gave me blow-by, leading, but that couldl have been due to other issues.

The ones I tried in 30-30 shattered/crumbled in heavy resistance.

I'm satisfied that CP, BTB, and MBWs are better.

Stoner's bullets are excellent, and as good, I'm sure, plus cheaper, and you don't pay shipping. He's at all the gun shows. You've never seen better looking bullets.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I buy all my lead 44 bullets from Arnie. I have had great luck with them as far as accuracy and minimal leading, plus he's a really nice fella to chat with. I just shoot plainbase bullets cast from softer alloy, but he does make some HC GC bullets, I know he has a 300gr HCGC for the 44. Just hit the gunshow coming up, he told me he was gonna have a table there.

No shipping, and support the local guy, if you care about stuff like that.

Arnie seems like a real nice guy. I talked to him at a gunshow here in Fairbanks last year. He said he has his alloy made to spec from a foundry in Seattle and he cast his boolits with 2 different alloys. If I hadn't just got in to casting I'd have bought some of his stuff.

Back to the original post. I think plinkin with Cast Performance would add up in a hurry. I think they run about 40-45 per hundred for heavy hardcast. Just get some CP or heavies from Arnie to load over H110 for bear of hunting and get some 240gr plinkers for cheap shootin. either from a local guy who casts or online forums. Or, for about 100 bucks you can get started casting. Get a bucket o wheel weights and you should be able to cast about 3000 boolits out of it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Arnie seems like a real nice guy. I talked to him at a gunshow here in Fairbanks last year. He said he has his alloy made to spec from a foundry in Seattle and he cast his boolits with 2 different alloys. If I hadn't just got in to casting I'd have bought some of his stuff.

Back to the original post. I think plinkin with Cast Performance would add up in a hurry. I think they run about 40-45 per hundred for heavy hardcast. Just get some CP or heavies from Arnie to load over H110 for bear of hunting and get some 240gr plinkers for cheap shootin. either from a local guy who casts or online forums. Or, for about 100 bucks you can get started casting. Get a bucket o wheel weights and you should be able to cast about 3000 boolits out of it.
    That would be true about CP bullets. They're special purpose bullets for me, and I don't shoot a lot of'em. 180 and 200 grain 357s, and 300 grain 44s.

I got some of Stoner's 270 grain GC SWC bullets a lot cheaper, and they would probably be as effective. Also, I like his 240 grain BB 44 bullets, I get them in 500 Rnd boxes, and that's what I use for fun shooting and practice.

I've shot, and got Arnies bullets too, but I like Stoner bullets better.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.