Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Letter to Commissioner Lloyd re Corey Rossi

  1. #1
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Letter to Commissioner Lloyd re Corey Rossi

    Dear Denby,

    What you allowed to take place regarding the removal of Doug Larsen as the Director of the Division of Wildlife Conservation, and replacing him with Corey Rossi, was a clear violation of all common-sense ethics and the guidelines ADFG is supposed to follow regarding staff not being affiliated in voting positions with outside organizations.

    Ralph Seekins, who is "president" of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife - Alaska chapter (SFW-AK), has publicly stated that he met with you as SFW-AK representative to ask that Doug Larsen be removed as Director. SFW-AK also conducted an email campaign asking members to advocate for Mr Larsen's removal. The rationale they asserted for wanting Mr. Larsen removed is irrelevant, the fact that they publicly pushed for this and it took place, however, and that Corey Rossi is to now take the Director's position, is what is important here.

    While all this was going on, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife has kept Corey Rossi listed on their national website as an SFW-AK Board Member.

    Here is the link: http://www.sfwsfh.org/index.cfm?pID=5

    Scroll down and you'll find this listing for the Alaska section:

    Note that Corey Rossi is still listed as an SFW Board member. Also his name is linked to an email address for people to ask him any questions relating to SFW. I have made you and ADFG leadership aware of this last year in 2009, as well as one of Mr Rossi's articles in an SFW newsletter that gave the appearance he was still affiliated with SFW, and was told later on that any mention of Mr Rossi on any SFW literature or website as still being a Board member or being affiliated with SFW in a voting capacity was a clerical mistake and that Corey Rossi was no longer formally affiliated with SFW, and that this "mistake" would be corrected.

    But this is the 2010 copyright version (©2010 Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife) of the SFW website and Mr Rossi's name is still on there as an SFW Board Member, and considering that SFW-AK has publicly campaigned to remove Doug Larsen as Director of DWC, and Mr. Rossi's continued affiliation with SFW as listed on their website...this whole thing with the removal of Doug Larsen and replacing him with Corey Rossi stinks to high heaven in more ways than I can even express in this missive.

    The fact that Corey Rossi is still allowed to even be employed by ADFG while he is still ostensibly serving as a Board Member for SFW-AK is totally contrary as well to ADFG policy.

    This has been a smoke-and-mirrors thing going on ever since I first pointed it out. It was bad enough, Denby, that you allowed Mr Rossi to represent ADFG in his new leadership position in support of the SFW-AK bear snaring and helicopter transport proposals before the Board of Game in 2009 that as an SFW-AK Board member he helped craft and advocate for. That was an obvious conflict of interest and I pointed it out publicly at the time. I took it on good faith, though, that after pointing out that Mr Rossi was still listed as SFW Board Member that Mr Rossi or someone would correct all this with SFW if he were really not still on the Alaska chapter Board, and I can no longer believe that Mr Rossi's name on the national SFW website is just a "mistake" they have yet to correct. Neither if Mr Rossi's name is removed today would that absolve ADFG from any unethical wrongdoing in this matter.

    The fact is, as of right now, March 12, 2010, Corey Rossi is listed on the national organization's website as a Board Member, and is to assume the position of the man this same organization publicly pushed to have removed!

    Beyond all this, this same organization is essentially now bragging that they got Doug Larsen removed and got "their man" in instead. I can't express enough, as a representative of another hunting organization, just how wrong all this is, what SFW-AK has done to publicly try to have a sitting Director removed, the tactics they have used and continue to use to influence ADFG, and the fact that apparently you have allowed the Department to be so influenced by a private hunting organization.

    Sincerely,
    Mark Richards
    co-chair Alaska Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

  2. #2

    Wink

    Hollow arguement as far as I am concerned. Affiliation with organizations that actually support and help with the costs of Wildlife Conservation and Consumption are a good attribute to recruit from for individuals with impeccable potential. Every Political Appointee has their endless list of affiliations. It is the networking aspect of Politics. It is how they expand their Circle of Influence. There are opportunities to move forward if we don't allow our emotions to overwhelm our good sense. These Political Deals always have a way of working themselves out, whereas all parties benefit. This one is no different.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member Jackson's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Akres, I gotta disagree. Imagine if BP/Conoco/Exxon made a public push to have the director of the DNR's Division of Oil & Gas removed because they wanted their own man/woman installed, so they could more easily push their agenda. The fact that their man/woman might do a good job is irrelevant, the glaring conflict of interest is the problem. Alaskans would be up in arms about it and rightfully so.
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

  4. #4

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad View Post
    Akres, I gotta disagree. Imagine if BP/Conoco/Exxon made a public push to have the director of the DNR's Division of Oil & Gas removed because they wanted their own man/woman installed, so they could more easily push their agenda. The fact that their man/woman might do a good job is irrelevant, the glaring conflict of interest is the problem. Alaskans would be up in arms about it and rightfully so.
    I disagree about it being "rightfully so". IMO it would be because their response was emotionally driven and not carefully examined or rationally thought through. We would actually being doing ourselves a disfavor if we did not "install" the very best person that we could, to do the job and do our bidding. I would much prefer to have someone at the helm that actually knows how the tide affects the course of ocean travel, as opposed to appointment of one who thinks a straight line is the shortest/quickest path to take. Emotions are poor ways to decide one's fate.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad View Post
    Akres, I gotta disagree. Imagine if BP/Conoco/Exxon made a public push to have the director of the DNR's Division of Oil & Gas removed because they wanted their own man/woman installed, so they could more easily push their agenda. The fact that their man/woman might do a good job is irrelevant, the glaring conflict of interest is the problem. Alaskans would be up in arms about it and rightfully so.
    Kind of like if a former CEO with stock in a company became the vice president of the free world then was instrumental in sending the nation to war and awarded military contracts to his company. Not that this sort of thing could ever happen....

  6. #6
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Unbelievable

    http://www.adn.com/2010/03/12/118081...vision-of.html

    Richards said the Palmer-based Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife lobbied for Larsen's removal so they could get someone sympathetic to them into the position. Rossi is listed as a SFW board member on the group's Web site.

    Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife said in a statement this week that Rossi's ascent to the leadership position was due in part to the participation of SFW and other user groups over the past year.

    "With Director Rossi at the wheel, we at SFW look forward to some real positive changes within the Department that are long overdue!" SFW Alaska executive director Dane Crowley said in the statement.
    But Lloyd said Friday that Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife didn't unduly influence Rossi's appointment.

    "No single idea or group is likely to determine a course of action," he said in an e-mail responding to questions from The Associated Press.

    Rossi's selection wasn't meant to institute a change in policy, but to bring a more direct administrative approach to the division, Lloyd said.

    He said he's developed an appreciation and trust in Rossi's management abilities after working with him for a year. Also, any relationship Rossi has with the Palin family had no bearing on his decision to select him, Lloyd said.


    Have to say I'm really surprised that SFW can flat-out tell the truth that they pushed for this, that they expect changes within the Department, and I can point out that Rossi is still listed on their website as a Board Member, and that apparently this is all gonna go down hunky dory and no one is really going to cry foul.

    If I appear to be coming on strong on this, or am overly ticked...well it's because to see this go on with our out Department of Fish and Game, to see it be corrupted so by politics and influence and underhanded tactics...I thought the state of Alaska was no longer going to allow this kind of crap to go on.

    Gotta hand it to SFW though...they obviously have money and power to get things done. God help us,

  7. #7

    Default Hard times for habitat

    The Knik Watershed process is/was a major event where this mentality embraced by our State agencies was honed and perfected. It was here they managed to identify a numbers based, easily rallied political base - even to the point of ignoring the critical habitat of Jim Swan Wetlands. They have had their chests puffed by this 'victory' and had pedal to the metal ever since.
    This major lost battle empowered them and is the place where the public should have erected the STOP signs. A turning point, clearly defined. We have been trying to expose how this worked for a long time, and NO, it has not changed.

    I am overly ticked , too. These lessons we learned again and again of 'political will' over prior processes, science, law, and (Yes) plain old common sense, beat us to a pulp.
    It will take a long time a lot of effort to correct.

    Thanks for your efforts. Mark Richards.

  8. #8
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Aw, it gets even crazier

    Tis funny how more than a year ago I told ADFG leadership and Rossi that SFW should quit bragging that Corey Rossi was "their man" and that he was still affiliated with the org on their website.

    Well check this new banner headline on the SFW site, hours old as of March 13, 2010:
    http://www.sfwsfh.org/


    January 2009?? Well why the hell was he listed yesterday still on their website as a voting Board Member? Methinks somebody finally caught a clue, wonder how long they'll leave that flaming red banner up for something that supposedly happened 14 months ago <grin>

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

    ..............
    January 2009?? Well why the hell was he listed yesterday still on their website as a voting Board Member? Methinks somebody finally caught a clue, wonder how long they'll leave that flaming red banner up for something that supposedly happened 14 months ago <grin>
    Yes, at least Rep. Stoltze, for one example, got right with the program and had his name as 'Director at Large' removed quickly from the AOC site when his bill co-sponsor Sen. Huggins openly declared war on citizen efforts to rightly protect some of the Knik.
    On the other hand, behind the scenes actions/alliances seldom are altered accordingly. Good to date document these travesties - Post dated banners and all.
    Humorous, but wrong.

  10. #10
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default SFW Press Release

    Someone just sent me this:

    PRESS RELEASE
    2/9/2010

    For Immediate Release
    Contact:
    Dane Crowley

    SFWAlaska


    Corey Rossi to head DWC at ADF&G

    Wasilla, Ak- 2/9/2010



    In a bold move to help regain the original mission of the Divison of Wildlife Conservation, Commissioner Denby Lloyd has selected Corey Rossi, current assistant Commissioner.

    A press release dated March 9th, 2009 quotes Commissioner Lloyd as saying "Corey has brought to the department a can-do attitude and helped us better understand a variety of public perspectives on the department's mission and wildlife programs....I'm confident he will shepard the Division of Wildlife Conservation firmly and wisely into the future."

    Mr Rossi will be based in the Anchorage ADF&G office.

    This move toward more results driven leadership was due in large part to the process and participation of SFW and other user groups over the past 12 months.

    Without your involvment at meetings, elections, and your hand written input regarding the department, this type of position shift would not have been possible.

    Thank you for strong support and thoughtfull letters regarding the managment of your wildlife resources.

    With Director Rossi at the wheel, we at SFW look forward to some real positive changes within the Department that are long overdue!

    Sincerely
    Dane Crowley
    Exec Director
    SFW Alaska

    I see they have the month wrong <grin>. Have to wonder just what regaining "the original mission" of DWC really means, and why this was a "bold" move, eh.

    I'm not buying Denby Lloyd's statement that SFW didn't unduly influence Rossi's appointment, when SFW is crowing just the opposite.

  11. #11

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Someone just sent me this:

    PRESS RELEASE
    2/9/2010

    For Immediate Release
    Contact:
    Dane Crowley

    SFWAlaska


    Corey Rossi to head DWC at ADF&G

    Wasilla, Ak- 2/9/2010



    In a bold move to help regain the original mission of the Divison of Wildlife Conservation, Commissioner Denby Lloyd has selected Corey Rossi, current assistant Commissioner.

    A press release dated March 9th, 2009 quotes Commissioner Lloyd as saying "Corey has brought to the department a can-do attitude and helped us better understand a variety of public perspectives on the department's mission and wildlife programs....I'm confident he will shepard the Division of Wildlife Conservation firmly and wisely into the future."

    Mr Rossi will be based in the Anchorage ADF&G office.

    This move toward more results driven leadership was due in large part to the process and participation of SFW and other user groups over the past 12 months.

    Without your involvment at meetings, elections, and your hand written input regarding the department, this type of position shift would not have been possible.

    Thank you for strong support and thoughtfull letters regarding the managment of your wildlife resources.

    With Director Rossi at the wheel, we at SFW look forward to some real positive changes within the Department that are long overdue!

    Sincerely
    Dane Crowley
    Exec Director
    SFW Alaska

    I see they have the month wrong <grin>. Have to wonder just what regaining "the original mission" of DWC really means, and why this was a "bold" move, eh.

    I'm not buying Denby Lloyd's statement that SFW didn't unduly influence Rossi's appointment, when SFW is crowing just the opposite.
    The message is warranted if proven to be authentic. Politics is politics, war is war, etc. have you never witnessed a group claiming authorship or responsibility for actions taken by another party, whether or not they had a huge part in it or none at all. Happens all the time.

    Me thinks lot's of Organization's are pretty good at Spinning Yarn(s).
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    413

    Default

    I was one of the people signing the letter to Denby Loyd to remove Larsen. Mark, you say the reason for his dismissal was not of any significance, I differ with you on that. Larsen had been given directives and had refused to follow them, I call that insubordination. Darned good reason to get canned. A few other individuals that came into power in F&G during the Knowles administration also need to be sent packing as well.

    Many areas of the state are in dire need of Intensive Management, and predator Control. The Moose are gone, and the Caribou are declining fast. yet we got plenty of Wolves and Bears.

    And No I was not a member of SFW/SFH when I signed the letter. But I now am. At least they are a real organization with a good healthy agenda for the wild life and habitat of the state. Not a group that wants to let nature take it's course with all the rises and falls associated with that kind of non-management.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

  13. #13
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Dear My Lloyd,
    Please resist the urge for Bourbon Swervin' while operating on pavement!

    http://www.adn.com/2010/08/08/140119...-arrested.html
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  14. #14
    Member AlpineEarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere I don't want to be.
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Dear My Lloyd,
    Please resist the urge for Bourbon Swervin' while operating on pavement!

    http://www.adn.com/2010/08/08/140119...-arrested.html
    Sweet post Phish.

  15. #15

    Default

    I hope you guys in this thread are proud of the fact you led him to drinkin'.

    Perhaps Mr. Rossi will be a fine replacement.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I hope you guys in this thread are proud of the fact you led him to drinkin'.

    Perhaps Mr. Rossi will be a fine replacement.
    Hey, that's an idea. All this whining and complaining led Denby to drink. The way is now paved for Corey to become the Commish! How's that for ironic!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Dear My Lloyd,
    Please resist the urge for Bourbon Swervin'
    Is that the name of his next manager appointment to ADFG?

  18. #18
    Pertinax
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Ralph Seekins, who is "president" of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife - Alaska chapter (SFW-AK), has publicly stated that he met with you as SFW-AK representative to ask that Doug Larsen be removed as Director. SFW-AK also conducted an email campaign asking members to advocate for Mr Larsen's removal. The rationale they asserted for wanting Mr. Larsen removed is irrelevant, the fact that they publicly pushed for this and it took place, however, and that Corey Rossi is to now take the Director's position, is what is important here.
    I read the article you linked to. And you are Mark Richards, and "co-chairman" of an organization yourself? And you're writing letters to state officials open to the public? Lobbying? And you state that other organizations should not do so, or that state officials should not act based upon such lobbying? Then what is the purpose of creating such organizations? Why is their rationale irrelevant?

  19. #19
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default



    As far as this other stuff, I have to say to Phish et al that I am uncomfortable with this thread being used to imply something about Denby Lloyd because of a DUI charge. We all make mistakes in life, and I don't think those mistakes should be used to imply some kind of overall generalization as to character or competency. I certainly disagree with Denby strongly on many aspects of his tenure as Commissioner of ADFG. However, I still respect the man. And while news of a DUI charge is out there in the public arena because of Denby's ranking position at ADFG...I guess if the shoe were on the other foot and I was charged with the same, I would hope that others would not try to use that to somehow imply every position I've taken or everything I've said is somehow discounted.

    Hope that came across the right way. I guess if you really wanted to post this latest news...I just don't think this was the right place to do it on an old thread.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-09-2010 at 13:19.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default charged is not convicted

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I am uncomfortable with this thread being used to imply something about Denby Lloyd because of a DUI charge. We all make mistakes in life,
    It was my understanding that being charged and not yet convicted made it off limits for this board. (until convicted that is)

    Correct? Wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •