Thread: sitka gear, customer service amazing.

Smile sitka gear, customer service amazing.

I really like sitka gear, little on the expensive side, but i usally buy the closeouts or clearnece sales online and get a fair price for it. I have heard some people complain about sitka costomer serice but i thought i would post this for another view. last year on my sheep hunt my crotch blew out of my nimbus pants and the nimbus jacket got holes and the pockets seams broke. i called sitka and told them about how much i like their gear but this stuff failed me and could lead to a wet/miserable/life threatening situation. The guy totally understood and said "send them in and we'll replace no questions asked." i thought great and put down stormfront lite as the comparable replacment gear, yesterday i opened up the box and had the stormfront instead which is quite a bit more $ just about 930$ or so for a set instead of 500 for both the stormfront lite jacket & pant. i got an email saying this stuff shouldnt fail me and apology for the other gear, man im stoked, now thats costomer service! I like your gear to start and your costomer server, You've got me for life sitka!

When the stormfront gear falls apart (and I bet it will) let us know how you feel about them. My Mountain pants were replaced under waranty after the crotch blew out the first season with a set of ascent pants. I barely wore the ascent pants and I they will be going back for the same issue. Glad they have a good warranty but man it sucks having to use it ALL THE TIME!!

this thread will get moved...

i was given the stormfront rain gear at a screaming deal that i'm not allowed to talk about. the pants lasted one hunt, so far the jacket has held up ok.
    they replaced the pants, and i'll try them again this year, but they leaked like the drain in my bathtub...blood even got thru them and last i checked blood was thicker than water.
    Alaska_lanche was there and saw how "great" those pants are.
    but i'll say, the cut is good adn they are comfortable to wear, noisy and not waterproof...so i'm not sure how i feel.

on a different note...IBEX clothing i checked out at Beaver Sports in fairbanks...if i was gonna drop big coin for hunting those...that would be the stuff!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Ambitious goals haven't been 100% successful for sure

And for some hunters who bet a few weeks each Fall on SG, there've been several years of disappointment. Just recently, they're recalling all their Dutch Oven vests. Sitka seems to have struggled with some gear the past few years. Maybe their popularity contributed as they scaled up production the year Cabela's picked them up. Getting big isn't always a good thing.

Perhaps they'll start turning things around. Their designs, and the way their products are intended to compliment each other - make sense. Maybe they'll get innovation and quality married up finally. Barney's has a bigger inventory than past years, which argues that Bob, who talks to Hairston or Hart about Sitka's performance up here - is more optimistic.

Though SG has had construction/workmanship issues, can't fault their materials in their top-end gear. That Stormfront gear (not Stormfront Lite), I believe is 3-layer GoreTex Pro Shell, the same stuff that Arc'teryx, Mtn Hardware, Marmot are using in their high-end raingear. The question I guess, is the camo worth it?

BRWNBR's Stormfront review:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=61470

Stormfront comment by Brett Barringer:
    http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....d.php?p=662878

Mixed reviews on other SG:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=61824

Couldn't ask for more in SG's customer service. Be interested to hear how the gear performs for you in the wet. We wanna believe. Thanks.

Man, for that much money they should have a local dealer to do regularly scheduled maintenance. You can buy a Hyunday for that much money

My experience is that it is not the fabric that fails, it is the horrible stitching and quality control that goes into it. For $200 I should be able to get a pair of pants that the seams don't fail the 4th time I wear them!

on my storm front the sitchin' was fine, but the fabric just leaked...my ascent pants are good so far, i'm wearing holes in the ankles where my boots rub though..correction, i have wore holes...
    but i like the pants. after reading lujons report on his pants, i double stitched the crotch in my pants...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Good Stuff with QC leaks

SG has some great products (ascent pants, base layer stuff, vests, hats, and gloves) but I too used the warranty and returned my stormfront lite for a new pair after just one year (sheep and goat). The thighs lost waterproofing and my ascent pants got wet underneath. The jacket held up just fine. I've also returned a celcius coat for a new one as it had a failed zipper after minimal use.

I'm buddies with Doogiehauz so I'll be keeping a close eye on his stormfront gear; I know he used his stuff like $1000 gear should be used....hard! ....with no expected fails!

I think Sitka Gear let some QC fall through the cracks with some mass production....I've never had a crotch blow out on my pants.....don't know what that says about me or about what you crotch-blowing guys are packin' , ha, ha.

Default sitka

Have a few hunters every year with the Sitka stuff.... After a few days of rain/cold they for the most part are disappointed. One guy swore he would take all his Sitka gear back when he returned home. We were on a tough 14 day hunt and he was miserable! Hard to beat helly hanson and wool, half the price too!!

Default Group lease?

Maybe we could work out a group lease with SG?
    It would take advantage of a consistent SG strength, customer svc.
    For a flat rate annually, new (upgraded?) clothing each season...
    Option to keep it another year (and skip payment) if no problem

Not far from what some are doing already, eh?

Wool's looking good maybe. Lower expectations with wool.
    Come on spring...

tested it out in the shower for waterproofness for about 10 mins, and no wet spots yet. when your going through soaken wet alders we'll see how it holds up. we'll try it out for spring bear and fishing and give a report. i would be sorley dissapointed if top end gear like that had major problems. my nimbous gear worked well untill i started climbing and rubbing against rock. I figure this stuff has got to hold up better than that! there's some good reviews out there as well, i try not to listing to rumors untill i get first hand experence. i like to do research and as long as there are some good reviews but for the price i didnt pay ill gladly try them out. "hat Stormfront gear (not Stormfront Lite), I believe is 3-layer GoreTex Pro Shell, the same stuff that Arc'teryx, Mtn Hardware, Marmot are using in their high-end raingear," yes the stuff i have is the stormfront not storm front lite, i have heard many falures on the storm front lite as well as the nimbous, hopefully i wont have a thread pull

http://www.schnees.com/product/2179/big-game-hunting

http://www.huntinglife.com/blog/deta...ont-and-more-2

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...formance-shell

we'll give it a test and get back with first hand experience, im lik'n the new material over the new for sure already. field test are my main source and it dosnt seem like there's a hole lot of reviews out there yet. for the price tag i can see why.