Thread: Cook inlet small boat launch best area?

Default Cook inlet small boat launch best area?

Where is the best place to launch a 15 foot inflatable into the river and then boat out into the inlet for chicken butts?

Anchor River
    Ninilchik
    Deep Creek

other?

There is a beach at Ninilchik you should have no problem launching a boat at
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default Might want to clarify that

Ninilchik boat launching would be dependent on a wide variety of things including stage of tide, breakers, type of trailer, type of truck, tires on the truck, tires on the trailer, experience with launching, .... and the list could go on. People do it, and honestly, enough people have lost their rigs to the salt, that there is a reason for the commercial launch at Deep Creek to continue its business. An inflatable gives you advantages, but it's still not fool proof, and you should know that there are risks unless you haul it down by hand.

Also, don't forget that you may commit yourself to sitting out a whole tide set, and the weather can change a lot in 6 hours. Been there, done that.

Default deep creek & whiskey gulch

Both are doable, especially if you camp at deep creek, right next to the tractor launch. I found Whiskey gulch works good when you have two vehicles available, ie buddies truck pulling your truck, pulling trailer.
    I will pm more later.

Exclamation

WATCH OUT FOR THE SAND BAR SOUTH OF THE MOUTH OF DEEP CREEK. IT GOES ABOUT 1-1/2 MILES OUT INTO THE INLET & YOU WON'T SEE IT UNTIL A GOOD LOW TIDE.

Default Deep Creek

There is a concrete boat launch at Deep Creek. It's in the campground and works great for smaller boats. Always launched my zodiac there. Just be careful of the tide. It does get shallow towards the mouth of the creek.

Rob

Default beach

I don't want to launch into the beach but rather into the creek - I know that I will have to hit my tides but that is okay and if it gets nasty out I can pull it out on the beach by hand with the launch wheels.

Default deep creek

This is the beach right by the tractor launch / deep creek campground. I looked at going out via the creek like you said but the reality with the sand bar & how you could get stuck coming in on a low tide it was easier just to beach launch retrieve. We always backed the trailer to launch & usually tried to put it on the same way. However the once or twice when the waves were braking to hard or to close, or I didn't feel comforatable with the soft sand we would do like you said. Beach it take as much weight out as possible then pull up out of the tide line. Next I would hand roll the trailer down to the boat, tip it up & winch the boat on. Worked suprisingly well with a good strap & winch & carpet bunks. The boat was a 15'5 achilles with aluminum floor & mounted seats, & 40hp motor. Don't know the weight but was able to manage with just the wife & I push / pulling even without launch wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images