Thread: survival vest

Default survival vest

What a good pistol to put in my vest and what caliber.thank Marc

Wink guns

First off, I will say that I don't know much about guns like some on here do. From what I do know, revolvers are more reliable than autos (generalization, YMMV). My theory is carry either a .22 or the biggest pistol you can shoot well. The .22 will feed you and the big gun will protect you. My 2 are a ruger MKIII .22 and a ruger black hawk .44 mag. The .44 is my go to gun, it will do suprisingly little damage to small game like rabbits and grouse and is big enuf to bring down any thing on this continent. The MKIII is a blast to hunt bunnies and such with. You can buy or build a chest/shoulder holster to carry, that is the most comfortable for me.

JMHO and .02

Default Something small if it is in your vest

If you are going to be carrying it on you all the time I would suggest something in a small frame. But then it is hard to get a larger caliber handgun that way. The Taurus judge is nice because you can have a bear load and a .410 shotgun shell as well. So you could shoot rabbits and other small game and still have a decent bear stopper with the 45 Colt. It is a compromise. The big bore guys will be saying that a 45 Colt won't stop a bear. It is a large round and it has more to do with a gun you are comfortable shooting and can shoot well.

Remember if it is not on you it is probably not coming out of the plane in an emergency situation, so the vest is a good idea. Some people put a handgun in their sat phone case. The sat phone is more help than anything else.

A three (48 Oz.) Pounder keeps not being in the vest. A 12 Oz. scandium .357 Mag. will most likely get carried. This leaves 2 1/4 Pounds for important survival things. Another would be 11 Oz. J- frame .22 Magnum.

I'd be very careful with the .44 Mag. It is NOT sufficient for anything on this continent. In 1961, I guided one of the world's foremost handgun hunters (Al Goerg) for a truly large bull moose (in the foothills behind Pt. Heiden). Though his later article about it in GUNS and AMMO Magazine gave it two shots from his Ruger .44 Mag, he actually shot it 24-times (4-cylenders full!). I finally dispatched it with a neck shot from my .450 Fuller. So . . . . . . . . be very careful with the .44 Mag. It has the world's lousiest penetration, I belive because of very poor sectional density.

Thirty-five years of Alaska hunting and guiding taught me to perfer the .41 Magnun. Penetration as good as a .357, and energy nearly that of the .44 Mag. A bood, reliable combination that most can handle due to its milder recoil.

I don't always carry a firearm when I fly. It may be a good idea to put a Spot Tracker or sat phone in that survival vest pocket where the handgun would go.

Default and yet,.......

I know of plenty of game put down with one shot from a .44. Including brown bears.

Go figger.

Shoot what you can shoot best, and aim for the right spot.

Thumbs up Tralika

You're right, Spot or a satphone, good manners and common sense will do more good than even the new handcannon that Vince is selling.

Theres more than one reason that guns are no longer reqired in the AK survival gear.

Default servival

I like the idea of haveing the .44 mag and .22 revolvers, However I believe that my next revolver is going to be a .454 double action instead of my.44 mag black hawk single six. Having read some of the stories of bear attack there is not the time to be playing with the hammer. The .454 can handle smaller loads for practice , but have the best you could carry, in my opinion.
    I would hope not to ever have to use it , But I think with sufficient practice, I wouldn't have much trouble acting on most given situations.
    Common sense has to go hand in hand with any situation, but I do believe in being preppared for the worst , having been in search and rescue a while, you never know what you can be walking into .
    I have nothing against some one going the woods unarmed so long as they don't mind comming out Un armed, as well and not be blaming the animals for what they do naturally. A satlite phone won't be much help while the bear is mauling you or the moose is pulverizing you. And talking nice to the buck you supprized , may not change his mind about stomping you or giving some pointed reminders.
    Having a gun is not much good if you don''t have a lot of practice using it , certainly the animals have plenty of practice using what they are born with, and it is not for fun. We (Man ) is the invader in their world , I dare not forget that, when hunting .

I think perhaps some do not understand the theory of a Pilots Survival Vest.............