Thread: Flies for Lake Trout?

Default Flies for Lake Trout?

Any suggestions for lake trout flies? I need to tie some flies.

I have never caught a lake trout so my opinion is of little value. But I did a float trip a few years back that had lake trout in the headwater lake. I researched lake trout flies prior to this trip. I had a type III 12' sink tip and a full sinking line I was going to use on my 8wt. Baitfish immitation is what I read for flies. Upon reading that, over and over, I had someone tie up some custom colors. silver/blue, gold/green, and silver/red. These were clouser patterns and originally marketed to redfishing in the gulf. A guy in Lousianna tied them up.

Had we not rushed off the headwater lake, perhaps I would have more info to offer. It was late in the day when the floatplane got us out, so we put the boats together and took off as we knew we had 5 miles or so to go before a good campsite was to be found. Next time we do that float, we will spend the first night at the lake and try for lake trout.

Lessons learned

The patterns I had tied up for lake trout are in the top left side of this fly box....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The only fly that I have used and caught lake trout on is a Black Rabbit hair lake leach with a weighted head (cone).

Tie one up with an orange belly and a couple strands of flash. Put eyes on the conehead.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

The patterns I had tied up for lake trout are in the top left side of this fly box....
    Those flies look good Dan. Some of the most popular are made to imitate bait fish. Large Clouser, Dolly Llama and coho style bucktail flies with some sort of flash material are all good. Don't be shy with the hook size either. 2/0 or larger are about right as you might run into a pike or 3

I've had good luck with a mickey fin.

large grey ghost is another one. or a cecil smelt

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    large grey ghost is another one. or a cecil smelt

Yup.....grey ghost, black nosed dace, large bead headed olive or black wooly bugger, sinking line, and yes.....trolling with a fly rod. Largest Laker I've caught on a fly was a 36 incher and that was on a large black nosed dace. These lakers are cautious and smart old fish. If you used obsene flashy colors......chances are....you will spook em. These fish are very weary but if you do your part.....they are very aggressive in the spring. Mess up your part....noise control, and the such......you may not get much action.

depends on where you are, and what they are eating. Baitfish and leaches are most popular. I've caught them on dolly llamas, and egg sucking leaches. I've heard of catching them on dries in some lakes with large midge hatches though.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Ok, thanks. That helps a lot. I need to catch some lakers spring.

Default Lake trout flies

3 inch white rabbit streamer with a red gill,2 strips of flash, lead eyes, stripped in short jerks along the bottom after ice out when the lakers are shallow. Used a Jim Teeney 400 gr sink tip, no fun to cast but it sinks right now.

Works until they go deep.

Good luck