Thread: 190 Hornady BTSP & 200 Speer SP for 308 Win

Default 190 Hornady BTSP & 200 Speer SP for 308 Win

Does anyone have have experience with the use of either of these bullets on large game at 308/30-06 velocities? My 15 year old son likes lever actions and I bought him a steel framed BLR in 308. We have refinished it with oil, tuned the trigger, and worked up some good shooting 165 grain loads. I'm considering some heavier loads for large game and am thinking a premium bullet is not needed at 308 velocities.
    I have a little field data with the 190 Hornady, but none with the 200 Speer.

I appreciate any experiences you might have to share with these bullets.

Default 165 is fine.

I've been shooting 165 grain Hornady BTSP bullets out of my 30/06 for 14 years now, and I have no complaints. They've performed great and have killed moose, elk, bear, dear, and so forth dead as dead. I have no plans of switching loads anytime soon. Although I keep experimenting from time to time, the 164 Hornady's at ~2700 fps are the best shooting loads I've found yet for my rifle.

It's all about shot placement, and practicing so you can place the shot when it counts.

Welcome to the forum.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

At one time I had a Winchester 88 in 308. I loaded 200gr Speer with 4350 to about 2,350 fps and 220 gr to 2,100.Both shot well at 100yards which was the max range I shoot at for hunting.Not what folks refer to as bear stopping power but more than a 30-30 or 44mag both of which have taken about everything.

Close but not quite here.

I have used 180grn. Speer in my 06" to kill black bear and caribou with ideal results. I have used and still do use, 225grn Hornady SP in my .338WM and my wifes' .280Rem the 154grn SP with excellent results.

I would not hesitate to give them a go in a .308.

Default Thunderstick

How big of critters ya plan on whackin?
    A very good friend of mine is a gun writer - knows volumns about guns N loads, has forgot more than I'll ever know. He says the 308 / 165 is the ideal load and you likely will not find a better combo - you may give up something by going to the 190 gn plus weight bullets in that short case on some critters at certain ranges. He says don't sell it short - perhaps look within the brands of 165 like Accubond or Partition etc to gain some KO on the bigger game....
    Good Luck!

I picked the 165 as the best balanced all-round load. It shoots the 165 Hornady BTSP and Sierras BTSP and BTHP well, especially the hollow point Gameking (which is harder than the softpoint). For moose or potentially bear I thought a bit more bullet weight might be good if staying with Cup & Core bullets in the 308.

The 180 and 190 Hornadys have worked very well on eastern Canadian caribou and moose out of 300 magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstick View Post
    Does anyone have have experience with the use of either of these bullets on large game at 308/30-06 velocities? My 15 year old son likes lever actions and I bought him a steel framed BLR in 308. We have refinished it with oil, tuned the trigger, and worked up some good shooting 165 grain loads. I'm considering some heavier loads for large game and am thinking a premium bullet is not needed at 308 velocities.
    I have a little field data with the 190 Hornady, but none with the 200 Speer.

I appreciate any experiences you might have to share with these bullets.
    I have a lot of experience with the 190 BTSP as it has long been my goto bullet in my 300 WM. I've never desired more from a bullet and think of it as a well balanced bullet for that cartridge. In your application, if the BLR has a 20 inch barrel, I doubt you'll be able to get over 2550 fps with that combination and probably less. I would suggest that you consider a 180 SP from Hornady or Speer as that will give more powder capacity and higher velocity. I think you'll find the 180s in the 308 perform ideally and will probably out penetrate either of the other two bullets you mention fired at 308 velocities. YMMV.