Thread: Bethel

Default Bethel

Hello all. My first post here but I've been reading a while. I have a potential job in Bethel but I can not find much info on the hunting in the area. I do have a friend living there but he isn't much into hunting. I understand the Unit 18 Moose areas and understand I will have to travel a bit for moose or caribou.

Anyone ever spend any time in that area? I'd be very interested in the small game and waterfowl hunting in the area. Hows the fishing?

My friend who lives there has already briefed me on what to expect compared to East coast life. We spoke on the phone today. It was 65 here, -14 there. Thats not a big deal. I also understand the difference in cost of living, I'm ok with that. I just need to get away from the rat-race for a few years. lol. I also understand I will need a snow machine and a boat to take advantage of the hunting and fishing in that area.

Anyone who has been to that area and would care to share your experiences I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I haven't been to Bethel, but have been to some of the surrounding areas. I would really recommend flying up there and looking at the place before you make a decision. Yes, the flight will probably be very costly.

I would expect waterfowl and fishing to both be very good if you wait for the right time, especially if you're willing to travel some. But you need to go the F&G site and find the regulations for the area if you're thinking moose and caribou. Certain zones can only be hunted by residents, if I remember correctly.

Look through the regs, and get up there and look around.

I can't fly there first. I accept the job or pass it up. Fortunately my best friend took a job there 2 years ago and is still there, so I know what to expect of the town and the regulations. I know the residency requirements so caribou is out the first year. Whats confusing is the maps for moose. And how far from town will I have to travel for hare and ptarmigan.

I guess I'm just gonna go for it and figure it out as we go. lol.

Thanks for the advice.

I hav'nt been there for a few year's now, (I think it was back in 98,) but when I was out there in 93 working, we cut our christmas tree out of plywood and set it up on the tundra. lol

Bird's and fish, are about the only thing you are going to see there in the close proxcemitry of the town. If you have a boat/ snowmachine, then you might be able to get to some big game.

The cost of gas out there might make you have secound thought's.

When we were out there the tarmigan would fly into the wire's and kill themself's, and when we seen one down, if it was warm it was dinner.

Same as Rockskipper, except we picked up the frozen close lined birds on the way out of town to the old BIA site and kept them for dinner too. Then we found out we were impacting an old lady and her grand kids subsistance and stopped picking them up.

If you are into trapping there are some good areas near town that you can snow machine to and do well on fox.

Waterfowl are hard to deal with out there with the spring subsistance season and the early fall season. Swan tags and having to know which goose you can't shoot. So difficult.
    The better waterfowl hunting is usually accessed by boat or float plane. Birds around town tend to few and far between after some minor pressure.

You will need two high quality pieces of equipment to enjoy your time out there. A good trail snowmachine and a good river boat. Prop outboards work well, until you get really far up some of the rivers. As long as your vehicle starts and keeps the wind from getting you that is fine.

After four summers going into and out of town for work I can say that the biggest issues are the social ones and not the environment. Too many drunks.

The best piece of advice I was given about Bethel prior to my first trip out there was to keep the doors on the truck locked at night. It did not prevent people from sleeping one off in the bed of the truck though. Those were hard mornings for everyone envolved.

BTW gussuk means "people of thunder" or "people with thunder" in reference to the Russians in the 1870's with their firearms. Its meaning and usage have changed in modern times. It is fun to greet one of your non native buddies at the AC store with a loud "What's up Gussuk!" and watch the native fellas standing around the steps smoking and spitting panic. The only way to beat racism to co-op the racist words.

Default Dead on AK Ray

It is flat and windy and expensive, but offers unique opportunities with the right gear. The social issues are real and haven't changed. That said, it's a sizable town and there are lots of different groups of people you can get to know. A man I know and trust said he misses the place, due to all the open space you had available, and that among some of the natives he saw more of the Yupik culture and graciousness than he has in other places. My time there was short (four months), and Bethel's beauty is not on the outside, you need to dig a little to see what's good about it.

If nothing else....you will find it unique.

Quote Originally Posted by broknaero View Post
    I can't fly there first. I accept the job or pass it up. Fortunately my best friend took a job there 2 years ago and is still there, so I know what to expect of the town and the regulations. I know the residency requirements so caribou is out the first year. Whats confusing is the maps for moose. And how far from town will I have to travel for hare and ptarmigan.

I guess I'm just gonna go for it and figure it out as we go. lol.

Thanks for the advice.
    No, you do not know what to expect of the town.

This area has NO comparison whatsoever with the kommunist east coast, with the exception English is spoken here, but as a second language. This isn't the US, even though the limp-wristed will tell you it is, just because the flag flies here, that only demonstrates the annular aspect of many minds.
    If you come here with a completely open mind, no expectations beyond beginning a new experience, and with a mind-set to have a good time, then you can fit in well. If you expect this to be a suburb, don't bother, you'll only be unhappy and want to go home. All white people go home anyway, after 21 years here, most stay a few years, then leave.

Not trying to dissuade you, but being truthful and realistic. The vast majority of whites stay in town and never bother to get out and see the place. If you want to actually live here, make up your mind to enroll at UAF-KUC for Yup'ik to learn the language. Then you'll find doors begin to open for you that are otherwise closed for the majority of whites.

Lastly, let me reinforce what I just said, this is not the US, you will not be in Kansas anymore. Like moving to Puerto Rico, just because it is tentatively part of the US does not make it the US.

Call the chamber of commerce at 907-543-2911 and they will send you a ton of info.

Fishing is great, but you'll need a boat since the salmon don't seem to bite in the muddy Kuskokwim, but in the clearer waters of the tributaries. Yup, gotta wait on the residency, waterfowling is good, moose isn't so complex, just match the area with the descriptions on the right-side of the page. You'll need a boat. Drop-offs out here will run near a guided hunt in cost since the local guys have figured out they make far more money dropping off east coast folks rather than locals. I checked last year and for a drop off they wanted $5k. I am sure you could ask around for someone to do it cheaper though, I didn't check into that.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

All I can say is, Good luck with that!