Thread: Landing Craft boat ride to Tyonek?

Default Landing Craft boat ride to Tyonek?

Does anyone know if any boats run over to Tyonek that could take a couple 4 wheelers?

Thanks

There is a barge that hauls supplies (esp. for oil & gas), maybe you could get a ride with them. I'd call the Shirleyville mancamp (748-4159) and ask them for contact info. You may even be able to arrange for meals/lodging at Shirleyville; I've only stayed there on the company dime so I'm not sure what the cost is. I'm not sure if that helps but it's the best idea I've got. Good luck.

ps, if you call them I'd be interested to know what you find out.

the residents of tyonek do not usually welcome visitors. be careful of their private property

the residents of tyonek do not usually welcome visitors. be careful of their private property
    I've also heard that they are generally unfriendly to outsiders. I wouldn't linger in Tyonek for too long.

I called Shirleyville. 1 day room + board is $175. She gave me contact info for the guy that runs Nikiski dock. Jim 283-7975, she said the barge to Tyonek is hit or miss (and dependant on the tides) so I wouldn't go if you have a tight schedule.

Shirleyville is a pretty friendly little "town", she said that firearms are welcome in the man camp if you are going over to hunt. The rooms aren't the greatest but they have hot showers and three hot meals (plus box lunches) every day, the food isn't bad either.

The previously posted info on Nikiski dock is a dead end... he said you need to contact Aurora gas but wouldn't give any info. I called Shirleville again and she gave me contact info for the Aurora gas expeditor (Gus) 529-6490 and the company office in Anchorage 277-1003. That's the company that typically ships stuff via barge to the other side and you may be able to piggyback with a shipment if they don't have a policy against it (or firearms assuming you are going hunting).

Best of luck and do let us know if it can/can't be arranged. Post a trip report if you make it happen

Default Thanks much

WOW! Thanks Wyobohunter for all the leg work, If my intended partner craps out on me you interested? I moved up here from Laramie about 4 years ago.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Speaking of Tyonek and the land issue. How much land is private over there? I'm not too worried about the residents over there I'll be outside of the village hunting but I don't want to trespass.

Dude,,, Its, almost ALL private native land... Helpfull hint,, bring fast food with you.. and lots

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fast food? Trading material?

I know that a 6 pack of Pepsi will go a long ways with the kids in many villages
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem