Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please explain king limit

Default please explain king limit

I swear that I have read several different things about daily limits and possession limits and they all are different. Can someone please make sense of this for me

For what area?
    The problem is it depends on what waters you are fishing.
    Most of the south central inland water way are closed to king fishing. In the rivers that are open you may catch 1 per day/1 in possession to a maximum of 5 per year. This mean that if you go camping and catch a King salmon on the first day you can not catch another till you get the first fish processed.(frozen, canned, etc.)

Be sure you look at the regs carfully as they do change depending on what water you are fishing.

Default area

Yep - area dependant. On some rivers you can kill 2 a day up that 5 season limit....certain days on the Kasilof are that way - one native - one hatchery.....

most parts of the salt do not play into the 5 per year limit

You have to read closely for the particular water that you fishing - and you have to check the EO's to make sure that it is still open

Default not sure on which

I was planning on fishing a couple of different rivers and not really sure which till I get there. I have had a couple of offers with some generious folk to help me and my daughter learn the ropes and have some fun. I was trying to figure out what we will be able to bring home.

Unless the fish are processed into a state that they are still edible two weeks later, you may each bring home ONE possession limit apiece.

Once a fish has been preserved (frozen, canned, smoked, etc) it is no longer in your possession.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Unless the fish are processed into a state that they are still edible two weeks later, you may each bring home ONE possession limit apiece.

Once a fish has been preserved (frozen, canned, smoked, etc) it is no longer in your possession.
    So your saying that if you are camping for 5 day and don't have a way to freeze them that you can only keep one fish? That sounds absoulutely crazy.

Default ADF&G agrees with fishNphysician...

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...efinitions.cfm

• possession limit means the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in possession.
    • preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    So your saying that if you are camping for 5 day and don't have a way to freeze them that you can only keep one fish? That sounds absoulutely crazy.
    Crazy, but there are plenty of people who come to Alaska and are thrilled to kill one king. Many don't catch any... just make sure it's a big one before you bonk it.

Seriously, you can typically only keep one, sometimes two, fish a day... at the end of the day take it to a processor to be vacuum sealed and frozen. Problem solved.

There is a 5 fish annual limit for kings. That includes Cook Inlet salt waters (there are exceptions during the winter, but I believe you'll be here in June, correct?).
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

So my boat has a vacuum sealer and a freezer on board. Are the fish not in possession when they enter the freezer, when they are partially frozen, or when they are completely frozen?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Unless you eat it during that camping trip....but that could be a LOT of fish

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    So my boat has a vacuum sealer and a freezer on board. Are the fish not in possession when they enter the freezer, when they are partially frozen, or when they are completely frozen?
    The way the regulation reads I would think it better be completely frozen.

ClearCreek

I thought in the salt you were only allowed a 2 day limit on all species on your boat.
    Boatless

Default Regs

I took a quick look at the regs. Are the people that make them on drugs There is more stuff in them than i don't know what. How in the heck can anyone keep them straight? Makes me scared to even put a line in that water. Those map need to have GPS coordinates so you can be sure of what you are doing.

You think the fishing reg are bad. take a peek at the hunting regs

[QUOTE=tboehm;687369]I took a quick look at the regs. Are the people that make them on drugs

Default run skeered

They write them to keep the out of staters skeered so that they don't plug up all the good holes! - - - - > :-)

Good thing you started readin them now.....just know the stream that you are fishing and read through the regs a couple times and you'll be grand.......

Back home in Montana (and Colorado, and Wyoming, and North Dakota) - the possession limit is what is in your freezer at home (the federal waterfowl regulations are this way also) so I am totally confused as to why you think that the rules here are crazy - - you can bring up your truck and a utility trailer with a generator and a freezer and go home with literally tens of thousands of dollars worth of grade A seafood - - some do.

The limits are in place because there are not enough fish available for everyone that wants them, and the tight possession limit makes it more difficult for one person to keep more fish than his/her season's limit. They're really not that bad, just figure out what your question is, and ask a knowledgeable person that question. What they are is very specific to time and place. The field office of fish and game in Palmer is good, the guys at sporting goods shops, 3 Rivers in Wasilla is one, know the regs really well, and most salmon guides know the regs of their waters front and back.

If you are camping for 5 days in bear country, you probably don't want to keep many fish you aren't gonna eat immediately.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Camper

I have found a camper to rent from a gracious member and fellow vet. So I think that I should be able to freeze a few right off the bat. At least that is the plan. I appreciate all the help form the members. Man I can't wait for the wife to finish school so we can move up there.

God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    I thought in the salt you were only allowed a 2 day limit on all species on your boat.

This is my understanding from a Trooper boat in Seward. If it was just a matter of throwing them in your on-board freezer there wouldn`t be much more sportfishing left by now.

In addition the Trooper said if you are fishing outside of the area with different bag limits and come back into a different area and start to fish it is assumed those fish came from the area you are now fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    This is my understanding from a Trooper boat in Seward. If it was just a matter of throwing them in your on-board freezer there wouldn`t be much more sportfishing left by now.
    The regs are pretty clear that once the fish is preserved by freezing, canning, or cooking that it is no longer considered to be a part of your possession limit. Most boats don't have an on-board freezer (iced coolers don't count), so I can't imagine it would have much of an effect on the overall take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast