Thread: 20 guage

Default 20 guage

I have an old single shot 20 guage (good shape) but I cant read what the choke is..... would it be safe to shoot slugs?? How do 20G slugs perform? and how accurate would they be?

Default Foster slugs

Although the best choke for a slug to go through is an open choke, we never had that option years ago. A friend got real good results with a full choke Browning A5. I used a modified with pretty good results. This lower half of Michigan is shotgun only so we were pretty limited. Twenty gauge isn't as good as a twelve but will kill deer within range. Of course your best bet is to use the old style Foster slugs, or Brenneke slugs, both designed to shoot out of a smooth bore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug A short article on slugs.

Good luck

Default Old

You need to define "old" too. Damascus barrels should never be shot with slugs or high velocity rounds.

One of my best slug shotguns is a full choke barrel. BUT, I only shoot Foster slugs out of it. The newer slugs made for rifled shotgun barrels you should never shoot them out of a full choke. Fosters are hollow for a purpose. To expand and fill the bore when fired. The frontal part of the slug hardly touches the barrel. They are designed like that for people like yourself (not picking on you) that don't know their choke so they don't ruin barrels. You can always take it to a gun smith and he should be able to tell you the choke.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

No matter how old the gun is if its got any quality it should have the choke stamped on it somewhere. Maybe under the barrel where the lug fits to the action. That said if the gun is safe to shoot modern shot it will be OK for slugs as they share SAMI numbers

hap

Lots of old shotguns have the choke designation as one or more "+" signs and others have unque ways of describing chokes symbolicly.

Damascus guns in reasonable condition have repeatedly disproved the notion there is any issue with them and smokeless powders. No test has ever shown them deficient in handling pressures normally experienced in smokeless loads.

I have thousands of rounds of personal experience through a number of damascus guns showing smokeless is a non-issue. That includes extensive shooting of a number of slug designs of unusual configurations through several damascus guns.

Slugs are seldom very accurate without a tight bore, better sights, and lots of luck...
    art

I love shooting a fine Damascus barreled shotgun and have put thousands of shells through them.Cost is why we don't build damascus barreled gun anymore

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I have an old single shot 20 guage (good shape) but I cant read what the choke is..... would it be safe to shoot slugs?? How do 20G slugs perform? and how accurate would they be?

If you get 3" groups or better at 50 yards your doing good. BTW 50 yrds should be a practical maximum for a 20 guage smooth bore with slugs.