Thread: New to Predator hunting

Default New to Predator hunting

I went out back last week with my son (8 yrs). This was my first time ever. Took the new foxpro caller and a twitching rabbit decoy with no results.

I set up on the edge of a big field.

Do you usually set up at a field, small openings, dense woods...

In your opinion should i be using rabit in distress, vole squeeks, coyote...

I'm looking to call anything in rather its in season or not, just want to get the boy excited about the whole hunting experience.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Set up where you have a good field of view, especially with your boy. You'll want to sit back in the treeline a bit if you can so as to not expose yourself. Put your caller and decoy about 20-30 yards out in front of you, or crosswind if there's a breeze. Make sure the wind isn't blowing your scent downwind where the animal will catch it. If your son has a habit of moving or fidgeting, you might want to get a white sheet or cloth and some small dowels or rods to make a little blind in front of you two. That'll keep any hand/feet movement hidden. Don't get discouraged, I probably call 10-15 stands for each animal that I see. It won't happen like the DVD's of guys in the Southwest or other parts of the countries. Good luck.

Default OK

And how long might you sit at each stand before moving?
    Bob

Default Time

I'm on stand 15 minutes like clockwork, unless I see or hear something coming in. If I hear coyotes, I'll stick around to see if I can convince them to come in. Obviously if you see something, stay put and get ready to shoot. It's a numbers game for me and the more stands I get in, the better I seem to do. I know guys that stay on stands for 30-45 minutes, but for all of the calling I've done over the past 8 years or so, 15 minutes is my magic number. Most animals seem to come in from 8-12 minutes for some reason. The FoxPro remote has a timer built in and I just watch that, or use my custom 15 minute sound sequences that has an owl hoot at the end, letting me know it's over and time to pack it up and move.

Ok, very cool. Didn't know i had a timer, course reading the directions would help. Thanks
    Bob