Thread: Gulkana River Kings and Reds

Default Gulkana River Kings and Reds

How many guys come out to the Gulkana and fish the King and Red runs? What i am looking at is what is the % that fish with in walking distance of the bridge and how many float down from Poplar Grove or Sailors Pit?

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    How many guys come out to the Gulkana and fish the King and Red runs? What i am looking at is what is the % that fish with in walking distance of the bridge and how many float down from Poplar Grove or Sailors Pit?

Walt
    Interesting question, I don't know the % but I do know its very crowded. There are also people that fish above the bridge but they let their qwikfish w/ at least 8 hooks drift well below the bridge in the fly only area....I might add its quite effective, If done correctly w/ a qwikfish they slay the kings because its like they back troll in the eddy below the bridge pillars.

Default Gulkana Kings

My question is purely a business based question. I have moved my rental business from Kotz down to Gulkana. I live just above the bridge and Will be offering DIY trips/Raft Rentals from Poplar Grove and Sailors pit down to the bridge as well as other rental packages on the Gulkana starting this June.

My question is based upon how many guys float vs walk and if the option of DYI trips will be a value for the average fisherman.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Rafts and camps
    907-822-4290

Walt, were is Poplar Grove ? up stream of sailors pit.

Default Gulkana Kings

Fished the Gulkana in the 80's and every summer since 2000 with a lot of success for Kings.
    The run went bust last year. The Gulkana RV park used to be a great place but the owners went to a permit system and may have priced themselves out of the market. A day float from Poplar Grove should be a good day trip during the run. What sized rafts are you going to be using? The Red run is very good and virtually unfished.
    Send me a PM I am interested.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Exclamation Gulkana River Raft rentals

Wow! I got a bunch of PM's about gear rentals and fishing the lower Gulkana. Rather than answering all inquiries one at a time lets try the shotgun method.

Ok When do the Kings arrive?

A lot depends on what happen in Cordova but you should plan on fishing the Gulkana starting around June 15-20 through July 10th or so. The hardest push of Kings come through June 22-30 most years. The bridge area is thick with shore fisherman and the banks up and down river is owned by the local native association so it is tough to fish it due to the access issues.

Reds:

The Reds are here all summer long starting about July 1st through September. The biggest and best fishing is early August from the 4th and lasting 2-3 weeks or so. I have caught Reds from July 1st through late Sept well after the snow flies!

Access. Can be tough! The bridge is always good fishing but above and below the bridge is native land and no trespassing is not allowed so float fishing is a sure bet. A good plan is a 1/2 day float from Sailors Pit down to the bridge or a full day float from Poplar Grove down to the bridge. I will be offering 1/2 day and full day float DIY trips for $65 and $100 shuttle provided.

I will also offer Paxon Lake to Sour Dough and Sour Dough to the bridge trips as well. Call for rates and dates.

I have 15 rafts in my fleet most are 14 foot but I will also have 2 12 footers as well. Because I ran a outfitting operation out of Kotz I will also keep a few camp items ranging from Cabelas 4 and 6 mane outfitter tents to cook stoves and all the small items that you may need.

If you interested drop me a line at 907-822-4290
    I live right at the bridge on the Richardson HWY.

Walt
    Rafts, Canoes, Camps
    907-822-4290

Default Northwest alska

I sent you a PM

my grandfather is rolling over in his grave! some people strive to keep their honey holes a secret ..... what I fail to understand---others like to talk

Default hmm

Yes its to bad the RV park went private, it was a nice place to launch & provided more room & a few more holes to spread the traffic out.
    With the guides already there, & normal weekned floaters + a couple of small flat bottoms that run that section when you add 10 more rafts on the weekend it could get the main holes a bit crowded during king season. I hope it doesn't become like the kenai or kasilof with to many people.

That said it should be good for choice for a nice quite relaxing float during red season.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    my grandfather is rolling over in his grave! some people strive to keep their honey holes a secret ..... what I fail to understand---others like to talk
    Did I miss something that isn't mentioned in the FBX Newsminer EVERY SUMMER?

This mite be a dumb question. Can u run a jet boat up ordown the river

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Did I miss something that isn't mentioned in the FBX Newsminer EVERY SUMMER?
    LOL no Doc you didn't miss anything. I'm just scared of progress thats all. I'm working on it tho and doing a fine job I might add (I havn't been banned yet for lambasting peeps )

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Yes its to bad the RV park went private, it was a nice place to launch & provided more room & a few more holes to spread the traffic out.
    Is this the private rv park that you have to go down a really steep hill to get to?

Walt, we try to make a trip to the Gulkana/Klutina around the 4th; either the weekend before or after it.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Is this the private rv park that you have to go down a really steep hill to get to?

Walt, we try to make a trip to the Gulkana/Klutina around the 4th; either the weekend before or after it.

Tim
    Tim:

Yes the RV park is private and there is a steep hill to get down to the river. The road is fine so there should be no problem driving down to the river from there. If your staying at the RV park the river access price should be included in the RV site rental but if you are just using the launch site be prepared to pay a big price. Most of the locals here in Gakona no longer use the RV park due to the fees. We can put in just below the park at Sailors Pit or above the park a few miles at Poplar Grove.

The 4th is prime season and the floating and fishing is good! If you need any gear shoot me a PM>

Walt
    mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    Right on the river!
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps
    907-822-4290

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    This mite be a dumb question. Can u run a jet boat up ordown the river
    You can put in at sourdough. You can run up-river to a little beyond the forks; you have to stop at a marker that notes boundary of non-motorized water. People generally don't run downriver from Sourdough, I forget why...

Fullbush -- Good luck!