Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Lost Lake

  1. #1

    Default Lost Lake

    Anyone headed out tomorrow to ride Lost Lake? A friend and I are off tomorrow and plan on riding there and would like to hook up with other riders. I've heard Primrose is bumpy and but nothing on Firehouse, anyone??

  2. #2
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Well I see no one responded to your thread but if you did go today, I'd appreciate a report as we are going tomorrow, via way of Primrose trail. It will be my first time up there, so any advice on the trail in, avy or terrain dangers would be much appreciated.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  3. #3
    Member aksheephuntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    seward,ak
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Well I see no one responded to your thread but if you did go today, I'd appreciate a report as we are going tomorrow, via way of Primrose trail. It will be my first time up there, so any advice on the trail in, avy or terrain dangers would be much appreciated.
    ...just called some of the Bear Creek Vol F.D. people for you-(a group of them had been up there riding just yesterday)....conditions are great, trail packed; both Primrose and Lost Lake ends fine;
    -absolutely beautiful day today; should continue through tomorrow at least-
    -Akhunter45 is probably having a great ride, today-

    -hope this helps; I'll post any changes, if any
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

  4. #4
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...just called some of the Bear Creek Vol F.D. people for you-(a group of them had been up there riding just yesterday)....conditions are great, trail packed; both Primrose and Lost Lake ends fine;
    -absolutely beautiful day today; should continue through tomorrow at least-
    -Akhunter45 is probably having a great ride, today-

    -hope this helps; I'll post any changes, if any
    Thank you very much.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  5. #5
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    I rode Lost Lake on Thursday (my first time...schawing!!!). I took the Primrose Trail. It sucked. Whooped out pretty bad but as I'm told it's always that way.

  6. #6

    Default

    Yes, Primrose will beat you up, especially on the way back out. We had a great ride on Friday but most of the snow was pretty tracked up. We searched high and low of untracked snow and found pockets of it here and there but it was better than being at work. Unless it gets some more snow, I won't be going back anytime soon.

  7. #7
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    We rode LL on Saturday, took Primrose in. Primrose, as already reported, was whooped out and will beat you half to death. We had nice, blue sky weather but the snow up there is packed hard from wind. There were occasional pockets of soft(er) stuff but nothing deep except on some of the hills. Needs some new snow before it will be a lot of fun again.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  8. #8
    Member aksheephuntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    seward,ak
    Posts
    431

    Default

    ???...I wasn't aware of those rough conditions, esp the Primrose end...(sorry!)
    -when I had inquired about trail conditions last Fri from a VFD person who had just been up on machines the previous day, I asked her specifically about each end (which tend to be glazed and rough)-she indicated the whole trail was great, and beautiful-
    -maybe the locals are just used to it like that??(I have a rinky-dinky sled, I don't take it up there; so, I don't know...)

    -I wouldn't of encouraged riding up there last weekend, if I had gotten a less- than positive- trail report....
    -I didn't at all mean to mislead anybody....
    -the person I called knows the trail well, participates in rescues up there when mishaps occur,and had been up there the previous day....
    -Maybe the trail had gotten too much use by Fri and Sat??
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

  9. #9

    Default

    I wouldn't worry too much about it aksheephuntress, I was going no matter what the trail conditins were like and it was still a lot of fun. With that being said however, unless Lost Lake gets more snow my riding there is finished for this winter. Would like to know conditions out at Snug Harbor and if it's rideable or not.

  10. #10
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ???...I wasn't aware of those rough conditions, esp the Primrose end...(sorry!)
    -when I had inquired about trail conditions last Fri from a VFD person who had just been up on machines the previous day, I asked her specifically about each end (which tend to be glazed and rough)-she indicated the whole trail was great, and beautiful-
    -maybe the locals are just used to it like that??(I have a rinky-dinky sled, I don't take it up there; so, I don't know...)

    -I wouldn't of encouraged riding up there last weekend, if I had gotten a less- than positive- trail report....
    -I didn't at all mean to mislead anybody....
    -the person I called knows the trail well, participates in rescues up there when mishaps occur,and had been up there the previous day....
    -Maybe the trail had gotten too much use by Fri and Sat??
    No worries at all.

    It looks to me like the trail can be perfect one day and whooped out the next. It doesn't take a lot of sleds to do the damage. When we went in, the trail was really bad the first 4 miles, the last 4 miles not so bad. On the way out, it was bad the entire 8 miles and was starting to develop ice chutes. So I'd say your trail report was probably accurate at the time. In any case, we still had fun! More than anything, I just wanted to know it was safe.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  11. #11
    Member aksheephuntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    seward,ak
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    No worries at all.

    It looks to me like the trail can be perfect one day and whooped out the next. It doesn't take a lot of sleds to do the damage. When we went in, the trail was really bad the first 4 miles, the last 4 miles not so bad. On the way out, it was bad the entire 8 miles and was starting to develop ice chutes. So I'd say your trail report was probably accurate at the time. In any case, we still had fun! More than anything, I just wanted to know it was safe.
    ...Oh,good-
    -I was kind of worried I had put a damper on a weekend ride, or something;
    -thankyou for posting back,Dee-

    -and AkHunter45...-I can ask and check about Snug Harbor-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

  12. #12
    Member jockomontana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seward
    Posts
    336

    Default Lost Lake still worth it...

    Last two days I've rode to Lost Lake from the Firehouse trail and its still good to go. A little whooped out but its usually always like that. Good coverage all the way. Some friends from Seward ran all the way to Snug Harbor and back and said the trail is good over there as well. The snow is plenty soft up high and more is forecasted for tonight and tomorrow. This weekend could potentially be really nice to ride up there. I'll probably be there myself.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •