Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first solo sheep hunt 09

Default My first solo sheep hunt 09

I have already shared part of this story in a nother thread but was my hardest hunt ever and thought I would share,seems everyone enjoys a sheep hunt report....

while eating lunch last spring,I was wondering when the results from the draw would be out.I called a buddie and he said they were already out and looked up my name.He told me I drew a 14c sheep tag.You should of seen the looks I was getting because of the way I was jumping around and hollering.
    I have been puting money in there with no sucsess for years and to draw the crown jewl of tags I was exited to say the least.All I could do was think and talk sheep for the next couple of months,my wife was very annoyed but I couldn't help it.
    Finaly there was enough snow melted of the mountians so I could start my training.I find if I just go hikeing with my pack on and do alot of walking,It makes me more of a succsesful hunter because I can go futher into places and have enough energy left in me to walk around the mountian for a week and if succesful make it out safely.
    Agust finaly came around and my tag was for the second opening so we planned on scouting it out before the first opener.me and two friends made it into the area I planed to hunt.we spotted a couple rams that we could say were legal,but were other rams we could not make out,we packed light and didn't bring the spotting scope.
    With all these sheep around I thought for sure we would see some hunters with the seven tags they give out for the area.Night fall came whith no pepole sightings.

night of august 9th
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 03-13-2010 at 11:30. Reason: Switched the date at posters request.

sheep scout camp

Default And then...

I sure hope your writing the rest of the story, I'm waiting impatiently.

I have had sheep on the brain for about a month now, I'm not sure why, just got the itch awfull early this year. Spend half the work day daydreaming about it. I'm stoked, anxiouse, and impatiently waiting to climb up into the mountains!!!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Woke up opening day with no one around.we watched some sheep do there morning feed routine and watched them bed down.We started talking about how we wanted to caribou hunting and decided to go but relized we had to make it to fish and game by five.
    We said goodbye to soon to be hunting area and packed up.On the way out we still did not see a hunter,and hoped those sheep will be alive on the 23rd.
    My plan was to go in with one hunting buddie to help share the load but two days before we planned to leave he backed out due to work.I asked around but everyone was busy so chose to go solo.
    The day before season finaly came.I was already loaded up,so I ate a big breakfast kissed my wife and off I went.I was kind off conserned if I could carry a whole sheep plus gear for seven days but was in great shape and felt I could.
    I finaly got to are scouting camp set up and went to look around.I was extatic to find a group of rams feeding and seen a couple I would be willing to take.
    I spent the rest of the day with high hopes again not seeing any hunters,It amazed me that with all the planes that I have seen both times here ,there were not any hunters in the area whith a band of legal rams.
    I woke up right at sun up.I was sad to see alot of fog moving in and out but found the band.They were about a mile away I pland on were they would go to feed after they finally stood up and headed for it.
    It took a couple of hours to get to were I thought they were going to be.The whole time fog blew in and I could see nothing.I just sat there waiting what seemed like a eternity and finally the fog lifted.My heart sank when there were no sheep to be seen.I could see ther bedding area still and they were not there.They were at the very top and the spine went over to a vally I could not see from my current position.I was thinking that had to be were they are.Started slowly walking that way with more and more of the valley comeing in to view .I spotted a sheep and hit the dirt.Belly crawled up closer and noticed it was the rams i seen earlyer.I got my rang finder out and they were at 550 yrds one look through binos and could tell they were leagal.I droped my pack and started to crawl closer and closer.I got my rangefinder out andthey were at 400yrds.I ran out of cover and was pondering what to do I found a rock cropping and crawled over to it.I praticed out to 400yrds alot this year and felt I could make the shot.I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the rams when I heard some shale slide right near me.I peared up and seen a ram coming down a trail that looked like the other rams came down.He was closer than the others and I studyed him through the scope.I could see one side as he was feeding and seen it to be broomed off but still full curl.Finaly got to get a good look at other side and seen the same thing.I have a soft spot for double broomed rams.He was standing broadside and looking down at me,I pulled the trigger and it seemed like before i heard the report of my browning .300 win mag he was tumbiling down towrds me.Perfect one shot drop.I ran straight to him and was amazed,His horns were so battered and he looked real old.Got my first double broomed ram!! I did not know it it was soon to be my hardest earned trophy ever,thank you good lord for blessing me with the best thing possiable for a mountian hunter "Mental Toughness"

Default Nice!

Great story and great pics.

Oh by the way, I would have went. I'll blow off work in a heart beat!

Thanks for sharring and Congrats!
    Bob

Thumbs up Sweet hunt!

Thanks for sharing... looks like it was a great hunt. That's awesome you were able to get back on the rams you found on your scouting trip.

I'm with Bob, I'd ditch work on the spot to go on a sheep hunt.

Congrats on a beautiful ram!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

While after doing my indian victory dance I started to take care of the field dressing.I wanted to do a full body mount but being by myself I decided for a shoulder mount.I never tried to skin the face and decided to leave skull on it,in fear of messing it up.But after this ordeal I will next time.Got it all boned out and packed back to camp,Those other sheep just grouped toghether and wachted the whole deal, and had a nice plate of heart.
    Spent all of the rest of the day looking at my ram hit the bed early that night to be well rested for the long walk out.I woke up before dark and cooked some hot coffee and some more lushis sheep meat,and was packed up right about sunrise.My start from camp to the ridgeline that I came in on I had a sureal feeling,I was walking with the clouds,I felt out of this world.After many ups downs and more ups,I finally seen the road.I sat down and enjoyed a hot meal trying to soak up my majestic surroundings.Packed up my gear and was looking foward to my last decent.After only a few hundred feet I was really struggleing to keep afoot.I came to a little rock face and instead of taking my pack off and sliding it down I tride to make it and sliped and fell hard to my right.My right foot bent to the right and ankle twisted under the heavy load.I thought I felt my shine bone snap. I was stuck in a painful position and couldn't get up.I frantically un snapped the two buckels and tried to stand.I imediately fell down and almost passed out.I sat there a while and started to move ankle a bit.I was so close I could see were i parked the truck.I tried to shoulder the pack but it was to steep,It hurt to much.So i started the long journy of dragging my pack down to the tre line were it wasn't to steep.I had just bought my left-handed BAR and a new scope,I spent alot of coin on it and was worried to death about it being straped to my pack.But it had to be done it took me forever to make it to tree line.At that point I was really considering leaving my pack and gun,hopeing to talk one of my brothers to go get it but all of the bears we seen and how hard it would to explain to someone who has never been there to find my pack in the trees[no gps]since and how close my truck was.I thought to myself,since I made it this far I might as well finish this solo.Thank god for a trusty pine walking stick I managed to shoulder my pack.I could only go straight for a few minutes at a time,any sideways movement it would make me have to sit down and let the pain subside.After a few of these stops I started to question why am I doing this?It was harder to get up everytime.I finaly made it to the truck right as it was getting dark.I did it!!!The hardest part of the whole deal was loading up my pack in my lifted F350 then hobbling up into it with a tore up ankle.I had to use my left foot for the brakes and gas,I could not dare use my right,that was fun all in it self!I got home limped in the door hit the bed and did not wake up untill 2:00 pm the next day.I thought it was a dream until I stood up out of bed.I went to the docters and got checked out.no brocken bones but some damaged liagaments.Put me on couch rest no moving much.Thank god I took agust 23rd-Sept 15 off.Still made one more hunt in my walking boot that year and got a little bull,First animal I shot that I didn't pack out thank god for good hunting partners....

I learned alot from that experince,was slip and it could turn very bad,,once again I want to thank god for my mental toughness.I think that will be my last solo mountian hunt.Hope you all enjoy my story

I can not figure out how to edit sunset picturebut the it was the 9th not the 10th

Smile

Beautiful and very old ram it looks like? Thank god about the ankle that is wasnt worse or further back! Congrats!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

my taxidermest and his buddy a long time alaskan guied thought he was 12 but the fish and game called him 9 sure has alot of rings to be 9 but they should know beter than anyone so you would think!

Default Sheep Hunt

Amazing, 10 posts in less than an hour. Goes to show the popularity of Sheep Hunting in alaska.
    Good story and pictures. good on ya for thanking the Lord who put these sheep on the mountain. May you have many more hunts to add to the memory chain.

Thumbs up

....What a beautiful ram!!

-and an exciting read!
    -great account of your hunt; I have enjoyed reading this so much..

-thankyou for making my morning...

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Oh man... I didn't realize the story wasn't over yet! Glad you made it out okay and that you're ankle wasn't worse off. Like you said, one bad step can lead to a lot of trouble. One reason you gotta be really careful doing it solo.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    my taxidermest and his buddy a long time alaskan guied thought he was 12 but the fish and game called him 9 sure has alot of rings to be 9 but they should know beter than anyone so you would think!
    So you'd think. There's been plenty of cases of different F&G bios not being able to agree on the age of a sheep. It's definitely not an exact science (at least without cutting the horns down the middle ).

PS - you can only edit the last post up until the next post is made. After that only the mods have the power.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Great Story

Right On Kotton,

Great Story of a Tough Hunt, Thanks for all the pics and great writing and Mental Toughness to be sure!

Congrats on your success.... good timing for your story as we're all waitin' for those drawing results now....

Default Oh

Didn't realize there was more, glad you got out with minor injuries.

Sure puts every step you take in the mountans into perspective.

Thanks again, good read.
    Bob

Great story and congrats on the ram. Glad you got out of there okay after the ankle injury.

I don't trust Fish and Game's measuring and counting techniques either. They measured a grizzly skull of mine at 17+ inches one year and it was well over 19. I'm not sure how they could be that far off, but they were.

me? I wanted to slap him silly, we all did.....all he had to do was call me and ask me to go but no he didnt. no more solo hunts in the mountains. ill be in shape enough to maybe keep up most of the time lol....it was a beautiful ram though....when we (me and his brothers) got the call we were all fishing at beer can lake....we met him at the house in record time. Everyone was **** proud of him though.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast