Thread: road conditions end of april

Default road conditions end of april

heading up the last week of april. was wondering if anybody had any beta on what the road conditions are like around that time of year? also is there still alot of snow coverage on the ground as far as camping and everything goes? thanks

Most of thie time the ground is pretty bare at the end of April, however there are time's when it can be the middle of May before that the snow will stay.

Around here in Delta the Leave's start coming out around the 15th of May,( I know this because I've tried to pin it down for the last 15 year's,, don't ask me why. But I have seen no matter what the weather is like the leave's will show up within 2 day's before, or within 2 day's after the 15th of May here.)

The ice on the Nenana river ice has gone out as early as the 20th of April,( Have to look that one up) as to the 20th of May, ( have to look that one up too ,lol) Or you could just look up the www.nenanaakiceclassic.com and it would save me some time.

As far as the road's are concerend, they should be dry as a bone by then.

awesome, thats what i like to hear, thanks! and fyi i looked on the nenana break up and its averaged around the beg of may over the past some od years. cant wait to get up there

Have a Good trip, just make sure you have some extra tire's.

RMK

Default It can still be chilly

If you're camping, have a warm bag. It will still be chilly in some places. I flew the highway a few years back the first week of may. I encountered some snow squalls along the way. Most of the lakes were still frozen until I got well south of Fort Nelson.

I camped out at Watson Lake where the lake was frozen, and it dropped to about 25 at night. The roads were dry, but in the higher elevations, there was still snow on the ground.

The good news is you should be beating the crowds and not many bugs if you're camping out.

Have fun.

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

Default Advice, Experience, and Suggestions about our trip to Alaska. Thanks. :-)

We are going up as well around that time from Florida and wish you a most pleasant trip.

how the cell service on the way up on the alcan highway ..i might getting pressed into driveing the brother family u-haul up to the cabins site for them ..at the end of april time frame ..for they are getting ready to leave seattle area back for the alaska in sometimes of end of may ..

so wondering if to get a sat phone or use my regular phone ..

You should be able to use your regular cell phone for the trip. Of course you will run into some areas where coverage isn't the best, but on our travels up 3 years ago, our cells worked pretty good for the most part.

Default Cell phones

I drove up the first week of May last year. No snow but cold at night about 25-30 in Watson Lake and Dawson City. I had GCI and my fiance had verizon and neither of our cells worked once we left Fort nelson or Fort st. John can't remember which one. Have a good trip.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    We are going up as well around that time from Florida and wish you a most pleasant trip.
    thank you! hope the same for you guys.

and i figured it would be pretty cold at nights still which isnt a problem..i live up in the mountains of colorado so im used to it. we havent had alot of snow though this season, and alot of it is melting away with these 50degree days.

how was the winter up there in AK?

Default Pretty warm in Can Mid March

I just pulled into Anch from Portland and found really warm conditions all through Canada, warm meaning above 25F everywhere and a lot of above freezing, definitely camping weather, of course it could still dump some snow and probably will but check out these pics for snow conditions now in Mid March as well as road conditions, really nice, only one stretch of ice on road for 50 miles, the rest was dry. This first is coming north out of Whitehorse, the last is nearing Kluane Lake area. There is plenty of snow on the ground and the locals are amazed at how little there is so you might expect more before April is over but the road is in excellent shape now

I have a pretty strong 3g cell phone with AT&T and it seemed I lost coverage at around Ft. Nelson and didn't get back on til south of Tok jct. but southern Canada it was going strong everywhere