Thread: pull the trigger or not...

Default pull the trigger or not...

I have the opportunity at a Remington 600 in 350 mag. I read some past threads and a few articles on the web about them. There is something extremely intriguing about this gun. I can't quite put my finger on it. I know for me part of it is the old timer who currently owns it. He is a dear friend and I'd count it quite an honor to own one of his firearms when he is no longer needs it. And that time is quickly approaching. I know recoil is stiff and it will likely require some additional reloading supplies and equipment... But here's my real question:

So if I do get it I wonder should I leave the gun in it's current condition (retired long ago) and leave the field work for my stainless synthetic 300 or 375 or look for opportunities to put the gun in the field?

My thought is that the gun has history but no personal memories. If I could get the gun out for a trip or two I somehow feel I would be honoring what the gun was made for, create my own memories in honor of my friend and the gun that was once his... Am I over thinking this here...?

Suggestions, thoughts...?

I bet the older gent who bought it new never thought about leaving it in the closet to keep it from getting wet or scratched. He bought it to use and you should too. The Rem 600 or 660 in 350 Mag is one of my favorites and I must have one some day. I would get it and some dies and use the heck out of it, you don't have to beat the tar out of it but don't worry if you scuff it either. You might find that being light, short, powerful, and handy, it takes the place of your current rifle as the goto gun.

Then if you get the chance and he's still around, bring him a moose steak you earned using his old rifle, might bring back some memories for him and you might get to hear some great old hunting stories. I bet he would be proud to have a younger friend out there getting the best out of his 600.

Just my thoughts.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    My thought is that the gun has history but no personal memories. If I could get the gun out for a trip or two I somehow feel I would be honoring what the gun was made for, create my own memories in honor of my friend and the gun that was once his... Am I over thinking this here...?

Nope, go ahead and put it to some use. That'll make it more special.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Man, what's wrong with you . . . trying to apply logic to a gun purchase? Don't you know your only suppose to do that to get the around the wife’s objections.

To actually decide yes or no it’s always best to just do what feels right to you, follow your own heart. Save the logic for explaining to the wife why you need yet another gun. In this case you even have the “I wanted to help the old guy out” excuse available. Even if I can’t find a reason to tell my wife I find her mad only lasts a couple days, two weeks tops, but the joy of the gun lasts as long as I keep it around.

I agree with The Kid and Smitty, it was made for using and it just makes it better. If the ole guy can’t hunt the moose meet is also a good idea, maybe even get his proxy and bring him the whole critter . . . that will put some memories on the gun for you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Go for it............

Buy it I shoot a mark II rugar 350 and love it.

Pull the trigger, then you can get rid of the other two guns and get a nice canoe

Go for it! That one is on my wish list too and if it was coming from a elder friend all the better, and hunt with it. I'm still using a stainless/synthetic but find myself daydreaming about hunting with a vintage gun all the time....one of these days.

KK

That's my take on it. I've got several guns from old friends, and all but one has taken game as my tribute to the original owners. The last, a 50-140 Sharpes Officers Model, has taken deer but my friend always wanted to take an elk with it. I figure he'll be smiling in heaven when I finally do that for him.

Great thread! I have a soft spot for old rifles - actually anything old, from ball gloves to trucks. They have character, and stories surround them like an invisible, yet tangible force. I think that everyone who has touched old stuff leaves a little of themselves with it.

Before I get too sentimental, I'll just add that the combination of old stuff (in this case an old rifle) and old friends who loved the old stuff, is a powerful mix. And for me, that kind of heritage is a big part of why I love old stuff and the people who come with it.

I think you know my recommendation on the 350 mag.

Default 350

One of my earliest memorys of hunting involves the 600 in 350. I grew up on a ranch in Northern BC and an old guy that had the local trading post there, had two of them, one for him and one for his wife. Everytime I went in his store to sell my squirrels I would drool over those guns! (that was before gun safes). He bought sold and traded guns and my dad got more than a few from him over the years but never those two!
    I saw that fellow and his wife last fall at a gun show, first time in almost 25 years, he said he still had those two 600s and his son would get them soon. Consider yourself lucky to have gotten that rifle, I would use it.

Default thx

Getting the gun was not the issue... What to do w/ it once I had it - was...

Great ideas, suggestions... I love the idea of using the gun to add to it's legacy...

I just picked up a model 673 in .350RM. Anyone have any favourite bullets that they're loading?
    I've thought long and hard about picking up a .35 cal, and when this particular rifle came up, i just wanted it. Nice and compact for stomping through the bush, big bullet, moderate recoil. I can see it being my go-to moose rifle. Now weather to put some glass on it, or leave the iron sites?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default Yukoner,

I'd leave the iron sights. I have a BLR in 358 Win that I love for the bush. With a good rest, I'm comfortable out to 300 yds with it, and I don't plan on shooting at anything any further than that. A scope just clutters up the simplicity of a bush gun, IMO. And in the snow or rain...

Seirra 225gr btspt with as much 4895 as you can get in the case. My 700Rem in 350Rem will group 5/8 @100 if I do my part. I had to get the 700 cause the 660s are pretty rare. By all means use it for what it was made for. A very nice rifle/cartridge with some history,it doesn't get much better.

Default why not both...

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I just picked up a model 673 in .350RM. Anyone have any favourite bullets that they're loading?
    I've thought long and hard about picking up a .35 cal, and when this particular rifle came up, i just wanted it. Nice and compact for stomping through the bush, big bullet, moderate recoil. I can see it being my go-to moose rifle. Now weather to put some glass on it, or leave the iron sites?
    iron vs glass... Why not both?

I revamped an old .375 w/ a new Williams universal #30 rear site and up front a new ramp, fiber optics bead w/ hood... Topped it off with tall quick release scope mounts and a Leupold 2.5x8... Best of both worlds...

iron vs glass... Why not both?

I revamped an old .375 w/ a new Williams universal #30 rear site and up front a new ramp, fiber optics bead w/ hood... Topped it off with tall quick release scope mounts and a Leupold 2.5x8... Best of both worlds...
    Now you're talking
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I dug the lines and the stock on the 600, so I bought an old one in 350RM, excellent condition. Love it. I've had it out bear hunting, including a drenching fall hunt. Sure it got a bit of rust, but it's a hunting gun. Cleaned up just fine. I took it to Africa, shot my kudu and a jackal with it. It will likely accompany me on either spring black bear, or fall deer/bear.

I say SHOOT IT and don't look back. If you want to limit it to nicer weather (lower 48 hunts) then go for it. It'll survive a bit of rust. But if you turn it into a safe queen, you'd be missing out on using a neat piece of history and building your own memories with it.

Chris

I would like to have one of these rifles someday too. I wouldn't call them light, but more compact. They certainly are powerful. I shot Uncle Denny's rifle 18 years ago or so, and it seemed to be a real bruiser. I had a chance at 6 boxes of factory loads last fall for a hundred bucks. Even though I don't have a rifle, I should have put them away for when I do. Oh well.