Thread: Trail Boss Powder in a .454

Default Trail Boss Powder in a .454

If all you handcannon reloaders out there haven't tried this yet, you should. It's a blast.

I loaded some .454 brass with Trail Boss and a 345 grain cast lead flat point with a gas check. I didn't crono it, but the hodgdon site, as well as another website put the velocity around 800 FPS. I was shooting a .460 with a 5 inch barrel, so it might have been a bit less. The rounds were very very mild, and very very quiet. With the compensator on my .460 this load kicked less than a .38 or 9mm. With my earpro on it sounded like a capgun. I was very surprised by the accuracy obtained with the big slow bullets too. They shot a bit high, but that might have been how my sights were adjusted. At 25 feet I put 10 rounds into one big hole on the target about 2.5 inches above the bullseye. I was very very impressed. The load data available from the manufacturer and other sources shows a considerable variation in velocity can possibly occur when using this stuff. If this did happen, it didn't matter, If I had adjusted my rear sight a bit lower, I could have driven nails with these.

This would be a great load for practice, or for the wife or kids. It's a blast to shoot, and the powder fills up the case very nicely and because it's fluffy and you don't use as much as with standard loads for magnum pistols you should get more bang for your buck. A 9 ounce can cost me about 18 dollars.

You can recipes for this powder on the Hodgdon website, and at handloads.com. It is intended for cowboy shooting and is to be used with cast lead.

If you reload for your hand cannon, go get some of this stuff and tell me what you think! I had so much fun with this that I am going to load up a bunch more. It's going to be really funny to watch my Girlfriends daughter shoot my .460!

Thanks for the report on the trail boss. I think I'll pick some up this weekend. Sounds like the ideal powder for light loads in a big bore. I'm not surprised at the accuracy though - heavy boolits from a heavy gun with an experienced shooter=good groups.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thanks for the report. I bought several containers of Trail Boss during the great "Where did all the powder go?" event. I was thinking of using it in my 500. Need to get off my butt and start loading some rounds for it.

Does anyone have any Idea why you are not supposed to use this powder with jacketed or plated boolits? Compared to Lil Gun, #9, or 2400 it creates extremely low pressures. Just wondering.....

Default it's not hot enough

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Does anyone have any Idea why you are not supposed to use this powder with jacketed or plated boolits? Compared to Lil Gun, #9, or 2400 it creates extremely low pressures. Just wondering.....

I'm using this powder a bunch and I really like it for 38 spcl and 357 mag. I'm using this on my dillon when loading plinking rounds for the 38. It's much safer then throwing an itty bitty charge of bullseye on the progressive press (its so fluffy you cant double charge one.)

It wasn't designed hot enough to overcome the friction associated with jacketed bullets, it's specifically a lead poweder.

However, Hodgdon's manual says that plated bullets (such as Berry's bullets) should be loaded up with lead data for the same bullet weight. I intend to load up some plated 38's with this powder.

If all goes well, this would be the ultimate clean shooting, economical and safe to load on a progressive press plinking round for the 38.

Default N

I have some 230 grain fmj's from HSM. I'm not not sure if those
    would work though. I knoW you can load lead in a 45
    ACP with this powder. Do you think it would be safe to use these? I can't shoot lead out of my USP.

Decided to revive this thread since I've had success with trailboss in multiple calibers with both jacketed and cast. I don't think there's any question any longer as to the safety of trailboss. I've used it in 45 colt, 460 S&W Mag, 450 Marlin, .243, an .300 WM. cast, jacketed, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I follow a "rule of thumb" I read about in a magazine article a while back. Determine where the base of your chosen bullet will be inside the case when seated to your COAL, and fill the case with trailboss to that point. Dump out the charge and weigh it. This is your max load. Back off 10 percent. This is your starting load. I've had zero problems of any kind using this rule regardless of bullet or caliber. Trail Boss is the most versatile powder to come down the pike in a LOT of years. I think it just doesn't get much press because it produces the lowest velocity by far of any powder available for almost every caliber. For someone looking for a light load though, for whatever reason - it is pure gold.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.