Thread: arteryx backpacks

Default arteryx backpacks

does anyone have any input regarding arcteryx packs? i was specifically looking at the bora 80. how do you think this pack would do in sheep country? if you have used this pack, how is the lumbar support? thanks.

My wife has the Brisa, which is the women's version of the Bora. It is pretty darn cool and she can't speak highly enough about it. I have a big Osprey Crescent that I could do without.

She has carried lots of weight in lots of conditions and has literally not complained about her pack once. One time in particular, I blew an ankle 6-8 miles back in the Na Pali cliffs in Hawaii. She had to carry most of our stuff and pull me along. Bag worked great.

I really can't think of anything negative to say about it. So far as lumbar support, given what she's carried, it must be good (though she is pretty kickass). I really wish I would of gone with the Bora instead of the top of the line Osprey. It just has too many bells and whistles, weighs too much, and came with more **** straps than you would believe.

i still have my AT Bora 80 from 1999 (?) and is great. very comfortable. i can only imagine they are better now? my father in law has the bora 60 or 65 from three years ago and it is great. should take the abuse of a sheep hunt, but you have to go in as light as possible. if you go in with 70lbs you might be hurting bringing the sheep out.

great pack

It seems that in the world of internal frame backpacking backpacks, and the "fast and light" craze, that a backpack designed to carry "Heavy" loads is rated to about 60lbs or so. Which, for sheep hunting that's about starting weight if you are hauling all your own stuff. If you throw in half a sheep and the horns/skull/cape now your at 120lbs and it won't support the load properly. The internal stays/frame will bend and the load will ride more on your shoulders which then compresses your rib cage, bends you over and makes your body over work to be able to expand your lungs to take a breath. It will wear you out quick. "Expedition" type internal frame packs are built to haul the 100+lb loads and transfer most of the weight to your hips. They are in a class and price range all their own. Just make sure that whatever pack you get, it can support the weight you intend to carry and that it fits properly.

If your flying in, setting up a "base camp" and using it as a day/overnight pack, 60-70lbs might be all you'd carry at once. Food for a couple days, siwash gear and sheep. It all depends on how you are hunting. It's different if you are trekking in and out 10-50 miles on a 10 day trip. Then you need a big dog heavy hauler!

I have a Bora 80 and a Bora 65, and I've never worn a pack that compares to either. (I bought an expensive Kifaru Zulu. It too doesn't compare. If anyone wants one fairly cheap, let me know).

The Marines have adopted a modified Arcteryx Bora 95 for use with loads up to 120 lbs: http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldier..._ilbe_usmc.php

They've ordered 238,000 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I have a Bora 80 and a Bora 65, and I've never worn a pack that compares to either. (I bought an expensive Kifaru Zulu. It too doesn't compare. If anyone wants one fairly cheap, let me know).

The Marines have adopted a modified Arcteryx Bora 95 for use with loads up to 120 lbs: http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldier..._ilbe_usmc.php

They've ordered 238,000 of them.
    The Marine Corp is having these packs beefed up to haul heavy loads. I wonder what the standard off the shelf ones are rated at. Obviously not 100+ lbs.

I've owned a Arcteryx Bora 95 for 5+ years and just sold it due to finding bliss with another brand of pack for hunting. I have hauled out several caribou with Arcteryx packs. I'd say up to about 70-80 pounds the Arcteryx Bora does great IMO. Over that I think there are better options. I have also ran the Bora 62 as my first pack and it was a bit to light and small for even hauling out half of a small caribou. My wife had the Briza 75 and she really liked it up until the weights were other 50 pounds or so and now likes the same brand that I run, plus we can swap pack bags on our frames depending on how the loads are broken down.

My dad won a goat permit last year and I bought him a Arcteryx Bora 80 for the hunt and it performed well. Granted we were banking on me being a pack mule coming out with the goat so he never had more than 45 lbs in it. All in all I really like the Arcteryx Bora line. If you are hunting relatively close to base camp or doing much more backpacking than meat hauling they are really hard to beat. However for expedition backpack hunting trips I believe there are better options for hauling heavy loads like Snyd mentioned above. Although I know member Bighorse on here has hauled out more than his fair share of goats off of the sketchy cliffs in SE AK with his and is more than satisfied. I'd say if they fit ya well go for it with the thought in mind that packing 100+ pounds for 5+ miles is going to be even more miserable than it would be with a pack rated for that weight.

Good luck.

I can't find any specs as to the load rating for a Bora 95. I know that I used to carry as much as 85 lbs in my junky ALICE pack. I no longer carry that much weight, but I am certain that my Bora 80 would handle it better than the ALICE pack, and I assume that the standard Bora 95 would do even better, but I'm speculating a bit.

marinehawk,

how do you pack your rifle with your pack? i think i am sold on the bora 80 if i can figure out how to pack my rifle. does this pack have good lumbar support?

i should be packing VERY light on 3 day excursions from a base camp off a river. i will be able to split some of the load if i kill with a friend.

thanks for all your input. wish there were someplace near fairbanks to try one on.

shane

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    marinehawk,

how do you pack your rifle with your pack? i think i am sold on the bora 80 if i can figure out how to pack my rifle. does this pack have good lumbar support?

i should be packing VERY light on 3 day excursions from a base camp off a river. i will be able to split some of the load if i kill with a friend.

thanks for all your input. wish there were someplace near fairbanks to try one on.

shane
    It's just my opinion, but I think the Bora lumbar support is almost perfect. The Bora packs are not the lightest among their peers, but to me, it's like wearing a lounge chair as you hike. My Bora 80 is about 4 lbs heavier than my lightweight Gregory Z pack, but I stopped using the Gregory on my 2-3 day backpacking trips in favor of the Bora. The Bora is waterproof (unless you dunk it in a stream for more than a minute) and the extra weight is IMO more than offset by the fine way the Bora melds to my back, and the Bora can be adjusted in countless ways for a perfect fit.

I fear the coming rolled eyes, but I carry my rifle in a safari sling in front. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23
    It balances out the pack; allows shooting with the pack on; and works very well for me. Unlike in the linked pic, I generally have the muzzle pointing somewhat downward.

Marinehawk,

How does that safari sling work when hiker through dense alders and whatnot?? Looks like a similar design to the Kifaru gun bearer that folks have raved about, but I personally can't get myself to buy into.

sdrhunter,

I know its small but in my avatar pic I am sporting a Arcteryx Bora 95 on that snowy sheep hunt. The rifle is strapped in the same manner that I use on my current pack. The butt end off the stock is placed inside the side "water bottle" holder and the rest of the gun is strapped in with anywhere from 1 to 3 compression straps depending on how secure or readily I need my rifle. I personally like the rifle out of my way completely while hiking as I usually spot and stalk my animals from a ways out and have plenty of time prior to getting within rifle range to get my rifle out.

The Arcteryx Bora 95 is setup for mountain expedition not hunting. Mainly what this means is high volume relatively low weight gear such as high loft sleeping bags, jackets, pants, and what not. While they may carry 80+ pound loads better than other backpacks they do not compare to a properly fitted hunting backpack that is designed to haul heavy loads of meat out. However, thats not to say that they can't get it done as myself and a couple others on this forum alone and used them to haul out meat. But if you are mainly backpacking and occasionally going on backpack hunting trips then it just might fit the bill.

Actually here is a big version of my avatar pic showing where the gun is strapped to the pack:

Wow. Awesome picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Marinehawk,

How does that safari sling work when hiker through dense alders and whatnot??
    AL, nice pic.

On my pack-in hunts, I have not yet had to hike extensively with my pack on through brush. I wear my "deuce" gear, which is a cartridge belt supported by a harness with all kinds of essentials on it. I generally drop the pack when entering thick brush. Even if I don't, with the safari sling, I can just lift the rifle off my body and carry it when in the dense stuff.
    But I've never hunted Alaska yet. I assume that if you're hiking for long periods through dense brush, you might want other options.

I completely defer to you on the merits of the Bora 95 relative to other options, as you have used one and also used the more hunt-guide-specific packs, which I have not, and used them in a more relevant environment than have I. The most pack-intensive hunting I have done was in Colo at near treeline, where there's rarely brush so dense that one can't conveniently walk around it.

Just for my curiosity, does anyone know what the USMC did to "modify" their Bora 95? I get the impression that they mostly made it green, compatible with their particular hydration system, and made it so you can hang certain stuff off of it--rather than reinforcing and changing the basic structure of the pack. Does anyone know?

[QUOTE=Alaska_Lanche;688553] years and just sold it due to finding bliss with another brand of pack

Luke, Who is the new love in your life? I think you were looking into "MR" if I recall.. Which Flavor? When guys with your amount of expierence talk I tend to listen.. Thanks, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post

Luke, Who is the new love in your life? I think you were looking into "MR" if I recall.. Which Flavor? When guys with your amount of expierence talk I tend to listen.. Thanks, Ken
    HAHA my new love??? Well the whole transition to my new pack wasn't fair at all to my Arcteryx. First I went to a Barney's pack, but for the life of me couldn't get the darn thing to feel comfortable regardless of how much I adjusted it, I was glad I hung onto my Arcteryx Bora 95 because I sold my Barney's and kept the Arcteryx while I was still out playing the field looking for a better pack for hauling heaving loads. Yes I went with MR for both my wife and I and we love them, but this thread is about Arcteryx so I was just my .02 about what I know about them after using my Bora for several years of backpack hunts.

Honestly, at the ripe age of 26 and only having 11 years of backpack hunting under my belt though I am hardly an authority, but I don't mind sharing what little I've learned in the field in that time truth pain on the shoulders from a improperly fitted pack, to tossing some $$$ away to finding which packs worked for me. I figure if I can save someone some shortcuts on those than I'm glad to help.

Default Bora user

I'm the die hard Bora 95 user. I just don't know any better honestly.

It works and I've hauled critters around in it.

I also like my older model of Badlands pack. It's essentially the same top load design as the Bora but fits me really snug and is no frills performer.

I've worn through some stiching on the Bora, torn the fabric in places, and removed plenty of little tidbits that were useless trying to reduce weight.

I've also worn the fabric off the suspension system on the bottom and had to repair that.

I use it, care for it, and it in return hauls home the meat.

MR looks good too. I've tried the Barney pack once.

I have a titanium fixation device on my Right Clavicle.....I joke it's a supporting rod for ultra heavy packs. A heavy Bora really does ride heavy on the shoulders unless you get that waist belt straped down so tight it has to ride heavy on your pelvis. I usually pull it so tight the buckles break when setting it up for a long and heavy hump.

It's a good one and will see another season of use in 2010. Happy Haulin!

Here is how I load mine, that's a Sendero and scoped it probably weighs 13 pounds- I like to be able to knock em' down from a long ways off. I have put a lot of miles on this pack loaded like this. It's an older ArcTeryx Khasimin 65. In the pic, it's loaded for a three day elk hunt. I have packed quarters in it but there are better packs for that. There doesn't seem to be a perfect pack for what we do. I wish somebody like ArcTeryx or Osprey would step up and design something specifically for carrying a rifle, but that would probably anger their primary customer base. Good luck. I have been happy with mine.