Thread: Last ditch fox effort - tips?

Default Last ditch fox effort - tips?

I thought fox season was all over, but looking at the hunting regs I've still got until March 15th if I head up to Unit 13. That being the case, I think I'll give it another go later this week since our foray down to Homer has been put on hold. I'm still new to this calling gig. I blew like mad on my mouth call earlier this season and managed to coax a coyote in, but nothing since then.

Any fox-specific tips? I've got a handful of areas that have lots of hare activity and some fox tracks as well. How do I coax the little canines in?

Brian,

If it were me? I wouldn't even attempt it...This time of year their fur isn't the best. The last three we have seen have certainly left something to
    be desired and were left for next year.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Really? Huh. I wouldn't have expected that fur quality would start to suffer until mid-April.

Default go for it

whats it gonna hurt....hair should be ok in 13....i hung a coyote in 14 last week and the hair was better than the one i hung earlier...most canines are getting twitter-pated this time of year so keep that in mind....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Fox

Fur looks fine up here in the interior. Called in and missed a small RedFox last weekend at around 180 yards. As far as mouthcalls go, the RedFox I've always seen seem to like more calling as opposed to less. An eCaller with continuous playing sound has been most productive for me. They almost forget what they're doing at times as they come in. I watched one awhile back that came in from a long ways out. Then, on the way in, he just started mousing around and could care less about my dying rabbit on the caller. I cranked up the volume and he was back on the hunt for the rabbit. So, I'd say that if you stick with longer sound sequences on the mouthcall, that'd be a good thing. Just make sure they don't bust you coming in with too much hand movement on the call. Good luck, fur should still be good in 13 I'd imagine.

Fur quality is going to vary in the fox this time of the year some will be beautiful others will be rubbed or getting pretty rough looking in the rump area. Some of this will depend on location but some just loose their fur quality quicker than others. One of the ugliest fox I ever got was in mid Feb one of the nicest was the last day of season on March 31
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default same here

i caught a fox in january that had a terrible rubs on his hips.....i think maybe he had fleas....but in the same area i caught one this year three days before the end of season and it was gorgeous...i'm sure the individual animal determines hairy quality ...just like brown bears and rubs

Sharks,

If you caught a fox in January and both hips were "rubbed", it could quite possibly be a genetic problem that are in fox. Right now the name escapes me but maybe Rick E will chime in. We actually knew nothing about this and assumed a few of ours were rubbed too when it was explained to us that in fact it was a genetic defect and not rubbing.
    Fur this time of year might look fine when your away from the animal, but get up close and it'll have a cinged look to it. For the lack of a better term, almost like your wife with split ends. As daylight becomes more prevalent the fur only becomes more sun cinged.
    I don't expect everyone to agree, just like what brand of car you drive we all have different taste when it comes to quality fur.....Sure, you can find a nice one, but there's a reason we don't trap this time of year.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Supporting Member

Default Fox fur

Sharks,
    The genetic condition Huntress refered to is called "Sampson fox" and is prevalent in South Central and especially in the Mat-Su valley. The way to differentiate between a rub and a Sampson fox is the Sampson condition results in equal amounts of area on both sides (almost like a mirror image). If the area is a size of a quarter on one side and exactly the same on the other side, then odds are it is the Sampson fox genetics at work. Size of the areas will vary from fox to fox.
    The worst case I have seen was in a small female I caught about 5 years back. She had no guard hair (just the gray wooly underfur) from between her ears to the tip of her tail. Terrible site and it was -20 degrees at the time, so I felt like I had done her a favor by ending her days with a snare.
    Have trapped the same area for 14 years and because of the constant pressure on the population, I have seen a noticable decrease in the amount of fox I catch with the gene and in the severity of the condition in those that do have it. Hopefully it will continue to diminish as time goes on.

Default sampsons

i know of sampsons and have seen it several times...but since it is a genetic thing...the whole animal is affected hence from the ears to the tip of the tail...the animal just doesnt grow the guard hairs...i have heard of it in coyotes as well but never seen it first hand....the f n g and some others thought the same of some wolves shot in 16 and 14 but it actually turned out to be lice...the fox i mention have matching spots on the hips but i visibly seen fleas jump off...a friend of mine who trapped the area before seen the same thing....but not all the fox in the area have this affliction...only the large cross i caught last year had enough rubbed/chewed hair to consider the hide not good...but it's still hanging on my wall so i got up and checked it out....still could see solid guard hairs in the rubbed areas... i caught this fox early january last year...i do agree that right now isn't the best time to go after em....but hey...thats no excuse to get out there with a rifle just in case

Default start

huntress....when do you start trapping....opening day?...i can never seem to get my ducks in a row till december.....what what your final take this year?

If you want to go calling, go. If you get a fox that is rubbed, usually the front half will be OK. Skin the front half and give it to your taxi bro. He can make a perdestal mount for you, or to sell. (mounted fur animals are legal to sell).
    You can also sell the front half to other taxi's, sometimes for as much as 25 bucks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Sharks, yep we are the same way. December is usually a good time for us to get things set out. This year we didn't get the ball rolling until January.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    huntress....when do you start trapping....opening day?...i can never seem to get my ducks in a row till december.....what what your final take this year?

Well, it didn't work out. Today was my day to give it a shot, but some family things became the priority. Next year, I suppose.

Thanks for all the helpful info, folks.