Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry License---Get it or not?

Default Carry License---Get it or not?

So us and Vermont...only citizens that can carry concealed without a permit.

Do you get it or do you not? If not, I guess you are exercising your constitutional rights seen by and granted by the state. If so, you get a good class on the hows/whys/wheres/do's/dont's...

Other pros/cons to both?

If you have it why did you get it. If you opted to not and carry, why no license?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    So us and Vermont...only citizens that can carry concealed without a permit.

Do you get it or do you not? If not, I guess you are exercising your constitutional rights seen by and granted by the state. If so, you get a good class on the hows/whys/wheres/do's/dont's...

Other pros/cons to both?

If you have it why did you get it. If you opted to not and carry, why no license?
    Only reason I see to get a permit is to be recognized in other states with reciprocity. Otherwise, its money and time that I can better use elsewhere.

took the class, didn't waste the $$ on the permit...if I had it to do again I wouldn't waste the $$ on the class either...I'd rather spend the $$ on some more ammo and practice...any of the class info can be found in an evening of casual internet browsing...but I'd certainly get a permit if the law required it though...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Get it and carry legally in other states. You might even learn something new while you sit in class for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    You might even learn something new while you sit in class for a few hours.
    you could take a basket weaving class and learn something too......would you want to devote an entire weekend to attend? especially with little guys at home, every weekend is valuable time to spend with them...you are correct though, a guy should leave the class with a few new tid bits of knowledge, hardly worth the cost of admission and time....

...one thing is you won't leave the class any dumber.....so if you have the time and the curiosity (like I did) to see what's offered in the class, have at it, the folks that taught the class were good guys...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Back when it started here I did all the classes for free and even furnished the targets

Not. Because my fists and feet are weapons too. I don't have to register them, nor remove or declare them for travel.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

RMK

Default There are two reasons..and they were both covered

There are two reasons that were already covered but merit being mentioned again.

1. Reciprocity. If you want to legally carry in other states, a permit will open up more places to you.

2. Training. When it comes to guns and responsibility, this is pretty darn important. If you're going to carry, it's paramount that you understand the laws.

I still think they charge too much to obtain an ACHP.

If you never plan on carrying concealed in the lower 48, and you're responsible enough to learn the law, then save your money.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I got the permit when it was needed in Alaska for CC. I got busy, and let it expire, but now I don't need it here in the Greatland.

I found the class to be very informative. I learned essential things that I would not have learned elsewhere.

I highly reccommend taking the class. Everyone who even contemplates CC needs it, and I daresay, you won't regret it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I got one in Arizona when they first came out. When I moved here took the class within a month and had to hold the paperwork till I had been here long enough. Learned something from both classes and feel they were time well spent, I know what I can and canít do in both States. Alaska and Arizona is about the only places I go and I keep my Alaska permit just for when I go to Arizona. If you travel to other States you better know the CCW laws there as they are not the same, like banks are a big no-go in Arizona but fine in Alaska.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I learned that you can use deadly force on someone who is trying to sabotage the pipeline.

This led to jokes about dragging people you didn't like up to the pipeline.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Not. Because my fists and feet are weapons too. I don't have to register them, nor remove or declare them for travel.
    Know what you meen.Its nice to now be able to put my hands in my pocket on cold days without being arrested

Default Too much information

Too much information is not always good. A person with a CDL who gets caught violating the vehicular laws is usually held to a higher standard (and fined more) because they should have known better. I have heard the same for a concealed pistol permit. I had one in New York, but never had to take the now, mandatory course.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Below is a link that might help you make up your mind. It is the NRA Right to Carry site.

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I got mine to have the reciprocity for other states when I travel and as a few of the troopers I dealt with say: "It's a good guy permit". Having one while on search & rescue ops, even it's not required, helps keep some people at ease.

The training was good and I recommend it, regardless if it's required or not. Joe Nava did a great job here in Fairbanks.

Default Not for me

I spend 99.9% of my time in this wonderful state of ours, and I decided to just take the time to read the regs. concerning where and when CC is prohibited rather than get a permit. If I do plan on spending any amount of time out of state in a place with reciprocity I will take the time to obtain a CC permit. Until then I don't have much use for it, I just make sure I follow the rules and let all peace officers and home-owners know I'm packing a weapon on my hip before they even ask!
    -J

Default CCW Training

I am getting my permit for reciprocity when I travel. I would think that if I ever had to use my gun and found myself in court defending my actions the formal, state-approved training would weigh in my favor. Hope I never have to find out though...

Smile From the Bunker In Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I've never carried in my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against handguns, I've just never felt threatened I guess, mainly because of what Aksoldier says. If you feel like you or yours are threatened, I have no problem w/ you being strapped, I just know myself, I have been in many precarious situations in my 47 years as an Alaskan, but have never felt threatened, I know if a gun was brought into the mix I'm sure I couldn't say that. As this place gets more infested w/ vermin (gangs and thugs) from all walks of life, because they're searching for the easy money of Alaska as the lower 48 economy slips further toward the brink of hopelessness, I'm certain I'll be carrying we have to watch each others back as Alaskans I know that.
    Fellow Alaskans---- LOCK AND LOAD!!

People mentioned reciprocity, good point.

Better point is the duty to disclose when in contact with the cops. What sounds more assuring:

Hi Officer, I have a concealed pistol, what would you like me to do?

or

Hi Officer, I have a permit to carry and my pistol, what would you like me to do.

Think with your mind on that and not your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    People mentioned reciprocity, good point.

Better point is the duty to disclose when in contact with the cops. What sounds more assuring:

Hi Officer, I have a concealed pistol, what would you like me to do?

or

Hi Officer, I have a permit to carry and my pistol, what would you like me to do.

Think with your mind on that and not your heart.
    Great point Ken. I know it shouldn't matter, but being on the other end of the flashlight it is certainly more reassuring when the driver's license, registration and proof of insurance is accompanied with a permit and the words "it's on my right hip, what would you like me to do" versus "uh...dude, I got a piece stuffed in my pants; do you want me to pull it out?" (true story).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast