Thread: Eye Issues with Cataracts!

Default Eye Issues with Cataracts!

So at forty years young, I find my self with cataracts in both eyes. Left eye, it's not to bad. Cataract is in the top of my eye and doesn't affect the vision in that eye at this point. Right eye is a whole different story. The cataract is in the center of my eye affecting the vision. In fact, looking through my scopes it seems as though my scope is dirty when it's not. Problem is, I'm right eye dominate. Doctor says it won't be an issue to correct it but then I'll need glass for reading or looking at anything up close.

Guess, my question for all of you that has had this issue,

How has it affected your hunting?
    Shooting with a scope and open sights?
    How has it affected you shooting a bow with a peep?

Thanks for the info.

Get the operation done. Lots of us have to use glasses for reading. It is ok. Sorry but it will work out but go to a good doc. J.

Quote Originally Posted by bkuuz1 View Post
    So at forty years young, I find my self with cataracts in both eyes. Left eye, it's not to bad. Cataract is in the top of my eye and doesn't affect the vision in that eye at this point. Right eye is a whole different story. The cataract is in the center of my eye affecting the vision. In fact, looking through my scopes it seems as though my scope is dirty when it's not. Problem is, I'm right eye dominate. Doctor says it won't be an issue to correct it but then I'll need glass for reading or looking at anything up close.

Guess, my question for all of you that has had this issue,

How has it affected your hunting?
    Shooting with a scope and open sights?
    How has it affected you shooting a bow with a peep?

Thanks for the info.
    1. have not had the surgery, but, I know a bit about it
    2. scope absolutely no problem; open sights--peep no problem, rear open iron may be a bit fuzzy, but, no different for someone with far sightedness
    3. again peep should be no problem

I'm not quite there yet, but, may need it in the future.

My biggest question has been..........is an artificial implanted lens less stable in the eye than the real thing, in other words do we have to be worried about recoil?

I will find out and post the answer.

Default Due

I am due to have it done in June. Both eyes.

The cataracts are small but it affects my night time driving, henceforth, my quality of life. Since it is a QOL issue it is covered by my insurance. AND, the good part is, it is going to be done with a LASER so the opt. is going to correct my vision at the same time. For the first time since the 3rd grade I will not need glasses (maybe)

Problem is: 1. Pre-op one day. 2. Come back night before and have to stay 2 days for operation. 3. Wait one week and repeat number 2. For someone in Valdez it is a lot of traveling. I may fly. My insurance covers one trip over for the procedure so good for one trip there. The other will be interesting. Good thing I have a wonderful woman that will come over to drive me back the second trip. Going to be a little down time for me and I work construction in the summers.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My biggest concern was how it would affect my shooting. I wore glasses and contacts for years before I had lasik. Lasik was one of the best things I ever had done. I sure wish I could have gotten more years out of it before there was a need for glasses again.

When it comes to my eyes, it's always a scary thing since you only have two and they are such an important part of your life. I have always tried to teach my kids that fact so whenever we do something that could endanger our eyes we wear safety glasses or they don't participate.

Thanks for the info.