Thread: Barometric Pressure?

Default Barometric Pressure?

I've heard that barometric pressure has to do with the bite. Is that true?

Thumbs down

I personally think it is an unfounded myth. I have watched and fed fish in an acquarium for years. I have not witnessed a change in their feeding habits, as a result to highs and lows.
    I have caught fish on sunny days, during storms and when storm were blowing in. I do think that they move up and down in the water column, but that is all.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I am trying to see if the predictions from this site are accurate but don't have any real data to make a conclusion.

http://www.solunarforecast.com/

The product looks like this:

I like to know where the moon is so I know just how dark it is going to be.

Mike

Barometer definitely affects the bite. Pike are very prone to barometric change- it seems the worst times are when we're mired in an extreme low or extreme high. As soon as it begins to move the bite will improve, with a fast falling barometer being the best.

I think early in the year for ice fishing it really doesn't matter. The fish are all pretty aggressive. But when you get into February it helps alot to see what your up against.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Even a minor barometric pressure change affects a fish's swim bladder. The general theories are that when the barometric pressure rises, it exerts pressure upon the bladder, thus affecting their behavior and appetite.

When the barometric pressure is dropping, there is less pressure on the fish's bladder, which means there is less pressure squeezing on the bladder, causing it to expand. When their bladders expand, fish feel the discomfort and don't concern themselves with feeding as much. When the barometric pressure is steady and holding at around 30.00 inches for at least 24 to 48 hours, either after a high or low-pressure system has passed, the fish become stabilized and begin feeding aggressively. During this period, the weather is usually fair, winds are light, and may remain that way for several days, or until the next low pressure system moves into the area.

Just before a low-pressure system is about to move into an area, the fish can sense that the barometer is about to drop. Since they know that it won't be long before their bellies will begin to ache, they will often go on an intense feeding binge until the pressure drops.

Thanks for all the info, I will try to do a little reaserch on this now.

Talking hogwash

If you put 100 chickens in a coop with a randomized automatic feed dispenser and leave them alone for a week, when you come back each will be doing all sorts of goofy things because they have associated the dispenser releasing food with whatever action the bird was doing at the moment.

Fishermen are sometimes similar. When they happen to catch a fish, they will attribute it to whatever external factors they might come up with at the moment.

The idea that atmospheric barometric changes have any affect on the fish's bladder and might give them a "belly ache" is about the most foolish of these random fishing theories I've ever heard. The changes in barometric pressure are extremely small. Water pressure variance by depth is huge. The change in water pressure at any given depth due to a barometric change would be nearly immeasurable to a fish. They will get more of a pressure change on their body by going from 10 feet deep up to 8 feet deep.

Fish eat stinky food when it presents itself. That's the only thing that matters.

Belly aches. Gimme a break.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Smile

I ice fished walleye on lake huron for 12 years almost every day in the winter and studied fish behavior with an underwater camera for 4 of them. You may see as many fish when the barometer is falling or rising but the fish are way more agresive when the barometer is hovering around 30 or just before a storm when it begins to fall. This was only an observation on walleye but I am a firm believer that barometric pressure effects the bite.

Perhaps... did you see any of them popping Tums for their "belly aches"?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

The solunar tables were dead on this last weekend. If anyone is watching them.

I sort of watched them. Said we had some average days over the weekend, which was about right.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Just got off the phone with another "die harder" and he along with me, and others I have talked to ALL got skunked or had very little luck this past weekend. Hope it all changes THIS weekend...

Not to rain on the weekend but.....

Barometer:29.37 in and falling