Thread: Primer crimp removers?

Default Primer crimp removers?

I bought one of the hand-held military crimp reamers and it lasted for about 50 rounds before it was worn out.

How are the RCBS deals that look like a die. Do they work better?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I've used an RCBS pocket swager from time to time over the years, and it works fine. I do think the Dillon swager might be easier to use from the looks of it though.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I bought one of the hand-held military crimp reamers and it lasted for about 50 rounds before it was worn out.

How are the RCBS deals that look like a die. Do they work better?
    FP,
    What brass are you doing? I have a Dillon de swagger and it works great but bulk work gets to be a bit much. I have a guy I send 223 to now that has a commercial machine that does full processing of 223 for $30.00 per 1000. This includes sizing, removing the primer/crimp, trimming to whatever you want and cleaning. I have him do 2000 at a time for me and am very happy with his work. If you want (on anyone) I can send you his contact info.

Will

Military primer crimp removal for 5,56mm, 30-06, 45cap and 9mm.

But after reading the reviews of the RCBS, the $96 Dillion seems the way to go... OR I could just buy commercial brass with that $96 and save myself a big head ache....

I bought the RCBS swage that you're describing in the 1960's, and in the years since I've used it who knows how many times. Not fast, but very uniform results. I guess I never bothered to get around to thinking it was a PITA, cuzz you only do it once per case. Kinda calming on the mind to sit down and do a couple hundred an evening for a while. I don't use the full ram stroke, and you get into a rhythm. Doesn't take an hour to do 200.

Looks like RCBS has a swage type and a cutter type. the cutter had very bad reviews.

I have not seen how the swage type works...

I have a RCBS swedger for 223. The most common comments I found about them be for I got mine was that the directions sucked, the rods were easy to bend, and that they worked well once you figured them out. So far I am still figuring mine out, but I have to agree.

I have bent the rod twice and I just bent it back but eventually I am sure that will break it. It does work well and fast and I think the rod would be less of an issue if doing brass all from the same production lot. However, my brass is mostly range found. I have sorted by make and that helps but still things will be going good then suddenly I will get a case that it did not remove the crimp well. If I take the die apart I find the rod bent. I think what happens is the case before will have had a little thicker head which will bend the rod causing cases after it not to swedge.

What I think would help is put a stop on the ram before it reaches the top of its stroke, where the leverage goes very high. That way the stop on the ram would set the swedging depth, and if a case had a thicker head I would not have the leverage to bend the rod. The down side is it would take more force to swedge. I noticed that my Rockchucker has a hole in the ram linkage I can use to install a stop, if I have time I will play with it this weekend.

I have an old rcbs swager and it seemed to work fine. I got it in the 70s when all I could find was mil brass for the 223. Now that I have a few thousand commercial cases I don't mess with it any more. It's been so long since I've used it that I forgot just how it works.

Interesting on the bent rods. Makes me wonder if they went to a different alloy or something. I've still got the ones that came with mine, and never bent one.

I have the RCBS swager and primarily use it on milsurp .30-06. It's always worked fine for me. I've even used it on Speer .45 auto brass that had tight primer pockets.

Mike

I started with the RCBS (it worked ok but seemed like a slow process), but moved up the the Dillon as soon as I could afford it. I've done a lot of mil 06 and a smaller amount of 556 and the Dillon is great.

If you're only doing a few cases, either will work, but if you're going to do several hundred (thousand) at a time, the Dillon will be a blessing.

the RCBS crimp remover die set works OK, slow. I always seemed to stick cases on the tool and bent a few rods. Then I read the directions.
    The Dillon crimp remover tool works better and faster for me
    The Dillon 1050 removes crimps during the reload process
    Best for me, was to send a 5 gal bucket of 556 to River Valley Ordanance. I still had to bevel the case mouth, but the cases were FL sized, trimmed, and crimp removed.

I started off using the wilson tool or a pocket knife for a box or two of cases.

Let me see, I have the old RCBS that is two dicks a large and small that swage the primer pockets from the outside, I've had this from the early 60's. I have the Dillion machine also. I have a hard time finding any of these since I got m RL 1000 or 1050. They do it as you load ammo. I have the Dillon trimmer also and the dies to set them up with. I ain't spending any more money to prep brass.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson