Thread: Redding Competition Seating Dies

Default Redding Competition Seating Dies

Would a Redding competition seating die work for both 22/250 Rem. as well as 22/250 AI ? Thanx

I think the seating die will work.

Are the competition dies worth the extra money? Anyone using them? thanks. J.

I have many of the Redding comp seater dies. Are they worth the money? I can't say, depends on your particular needs. Most folks fail to prep the bad shots from their brass and in that case no, they won't help much. The are what all seaters should be. They maintain the case in perfect alignment with the bullet pusher and that prevents one problem with seaters. You can make MOA ammo with any seater die. It is that low two's and three's that require something special. Oddly enough, there is a greater advantage of using the Redding comp seaters for the straight cases, 45-70, 45 2 7/8", 40-70 SS, 38-55, etc, than for the modern bottleneck rifle cases. Also custom seater bullet pushers help with the soft lead

To the question; The Ackley version will have a larger diameter body at the shoulder area and a AI fired case won't fit into the sliding sleeve to give it the alignment needed. The sleeve will hit the 40 degree shoulder. You may be able to seat a bullet with it but it would be more like a standard seater. The standard seater will seat for the AI version as it is a generic one-size-fits-all die body and a bullet punch to fit most nose designs. This applies to RCBS, Lyman, etc as well.

I had a smith friend of mine machine out a duplicate sleeves for the AI's, one for each of several calibers. Cheaper than a custom made comp seater.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    Are the competition dies worth the extra money? Anyone using them? thanks. J.
    I got them for the reason Murphy stated. They (allegedly) do a better job of aligning the bullet. I don't have a runout gauge yet, but it's on the list. As Murphy said, it's all in what you're looking for. Having said that, I'm going to get one of Hornady's New Dimension seaters to compare it to the Redding. It's similar to the Redding and a good bit cheaper. You can get a micrometer stem for them for a little more, but still cheaper than the overall Redding price. However, the Redding micrometer dial may be a little more accurate. This all remains to bee seen but the Hornady New dimension dies look very interesting.

-Mark

I use Redding exclsively

I use one for 556 and 45. Easy to adjust, repeatable, if I write down the settings. They are nicely made.

I don't shoot well enough to note a difference.
    I am sure those 8's offhand at 200yds are me, the 7 high and right at 600yds and even the miss at 50 yds with the 45....

Default Redding

Am willing to spend the money for the correct Seating die. The Redding sight shows a listing for " 22 250 Rem. improved 40 degree" (PN 55406) but no listing for 22 250 Ackley improved. Would the 22 250 Rem. improved 40 degree, be the same as 22 250 Ackley improved? Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4951tomm View Post
    Am willing to spend the money for the correct Seating die. The Redding sight shows a listing for " 22 250 Rem. improved 40 degree" (PN 55406) but no listing for 22 250 Ackley improved. Would the 22 250 Rem. improved 40 degree, be the same as 22 250 Ackley improved? Thank you for your time.
    The two cartridges are certainly similar, but as with any wildcat or improved chambering there are no SAAMI standards and the dimensions can show considerable variation. The best course of action is to contact Redding directly and speak with a tech about your rifle and the proper die. You'll find them very willing to help, or I should say, they have always been very gracious with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    They (allegedly) do a better job of aligning the bullet. I don't have a runout gauge yet, but it's on the list. Mark
    Mark I have a Neco but it doesn't solve the issue, only measures run out. I bought the Hornady tool, works great.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Ammunit...ntricity-Tool/

I generally don't have run out issues unless I load very long with short necks. Even then just .0025-.003 worst case. This tool allows you to see it and adjust to <.001 if you choose.

If you thinking about one of these I'm sure you will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Mark I have a Neco but it doesn't solve the issue, only measures run out. I bought the Hornady tool, works great.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Ammunit...ntricity-Tool/

I generally don't have run out issues unless I load very long with short necks. Even then just .0025-.003 worst case. This tool allows you to see it and adjust to <.001 if you choose.

If you thinking about one of these I'm sure you will be happy.
    That looks very interesting Marshal. Have you seen this one by H&H?

http://www.benchrest.com/hnh/index.htm

The Hornady is cheaper and if it works as good, it might be the way to go.

Default Redding

Went ahead and called Redding, quick and informative......They said Ackley improved and Rem. improved are indeed the same, that the difference in terminology is due to copywrite issues. Thank you for your time.

Yes the "Improved 40 degree" is the AI. There is also a less popular 28 degree but that is custom. I have a 250 Savage Ackley Improved 40 Degree and a Redding custom Comp seater for it. It was expensive.

I can buy Redding at dealer pricing and can quote you a delivered price if you want.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Went ahead and called Redding, quick and informative......They said Ackley improved and Rem. improved are indeed the same, that the difference in terminology is due to copywrite issues. Thank you for your time.
    No problem, sounds like you'll be in business in no time.

The price would be $99.00 with shipping, but will be a wait as my supplier is out of stock. Figures!!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    That looks very interesting Marshal. Have you seen this one by H&H?

http://www.benchrest.com/hnh/index.htm

The Hornady is cheaper and if it works as good, it might be the way to go.

Looks as if it works on the same principle. Your link shows a product that is probably made to better tolerances but the Hornady works great.

Default Redding

Murphy, thanks, would gladly purchase from you, but dont feel like waiting (with back orders you never really know). Went ahead and ordered from Midway, $121.00 shipped. I have not loaded for the 22 250 AI and am curious about the best procedure for getting started. Would I be better off buying factory ammo and fire forming it, or should I reshape new standard 22 250 brass with the 22 250 AI dies? Any other "doos & don'ts" basic tips would be appreciated. Thank You For Your Time

You won't be able to "reshape" .22-250 brass into .22-250AI with just reloading dies. You'll have to fireform the cases, whether it's with factory ammo or .22-250 ammo you've loaded yourself.

I run three different "AI" chamberings. For fireforming, I like to seat bullets to touch the lands. While not necessary in a "proper" AI chamber, the practice keeps headspace issues at bay with no concessions. I choose a fireforming load towards the upper end of the of spectrum for regular .22-250 loads, not starting loads. Fireform loads are often extremely accurate, so don't waste your time and money by deliberately choosing "cheap" bullets for fireforming duties. Pick a bullet you'd usually shoot anyway, and load 'em up just like any other quality handload. Shooting fireforming loads is just as much fun as the full bore AI loads. Enjoy!