Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you hunt with one in the chamber?

Default Do you hunt with one in the chamber?

I hunted in December with a fellow and his son from the East coast. They carried their guns in the field with a bullet in the chamber.
    I was always taught to never put a load in the chamber until I was ready to shoot.
    What are your thoughts?
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default I all depends.

I think it depends on the situation. Walking into my bait stand or somewhere I might encounter a brownie, then yes.

Climbing a mountain to get close to a goat, then no.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Chamber

I started hunting in the sixth grade, about 45 years ago. Before I was allowed to touch a gun my dad had instilled a great respect for the gun and every possible safety rule. Hunting whitetails in the U.P. of Michigan if you didn't have one in the chamber 95% of the time you wouldn't have meat on the table. I always have one in the chamber as do all of the men I hunt with and have never had a problem. And yes, I have one in the chamber of the ole .45 at home. that is just my two cents. Thanks all.

I do, but it kind of depends on who and how many others I am hunting with. I don't like the idea of sneaking around some trees or climbing over a hill to find a monster animal 20 yds away and I have yet to charge the chamber. It is one less noise that I want to make when trying to be quiet.

The bear issue is also on my mind. It would be much faster to click off the safety and fire a round than having to run the bolt under the stress of a charging land shark!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

99% of the time I do not have a hot chamber.

Default Chambered round?

If I'm travelling, no. If I'm hunting, yes.

Like most other guys said. It just depends. Stand or still hunting yes. Climbing up the mountain, no. Floating in a boat, no. Driving on the atv, no. Busting the brush, definate yes. But.... there's always one in the chamber anyway right?!?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have always had one in the chamber as long as I was walking around outside. Always unchamber the round before getting into a vehicle or putting it in the gun boot on the 4 wheeler. I like to have all the bullets that I am going to use in my rifle and mine only holds 4 with one in the chamber. (although, I have only needed one shot for each of my 3 kills up here in alaska)

My dad accidently shot the truck from having one still in the chamber and then remembered while he was driving down a logging trail. He clicked the safety off and guesses he accidently tapped the trigger and it went of only inches from his ear (gun was pointed up). Luckily the bullet made it through the seat.

I was taught a gun is always loaded and should be treated so. Anyways...

When my rifle is inside a gun boot or case I do not carry a round in the chamber but when the rifle is pulled out of either or there is a round in front of the bolt.

Thumbs up

Out in the field , yes .
    Like most others NO when entering a boat ,ATV,Truck ETC.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

NEVER NEVER NEVER, thru thick brush its not loaded, walking, hunting, hiking, stalking, you name it. i load it when its time to shoot. if i am walking up on a gut pile i guess i load up but thats about it.
    i figure if my guns loaded and easy and handy to shoot if something jumps me, i'll probably shoot. but what if i didn't need to? then i just wasted a life and a bunch of my time screwing with something that didn't need to happen to save a half a second. or i'll be wishing it was loaded....odds are, i'll be wishing it wasn't though.
    most of my clients want to load up, but i wont let them. they load up, i go home. simple. no gun has ever accidently went off with no round...
    rather be sitting on the ground patching holes in my legs or head, than wishing i hadn't just blown my buddies knee caps off...or my foot.

I'm actually suprised at what alot of folks have posted about loaded guns...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default happens all the time

I saw this video and yes tripping happens all the time. While out in Delaware a few weeks ago on a white tail hunt with friends, I noticed they all carried a bullets ( shot gun slugs) in the chamber, I was not used to this behavior. No dangerous game in Delaware, and fairly open woods by standards, I had no idea why you would want to carry one loaded and ready. I pushed the barrel of one of the guys I was with away twice, He just didn't care to be careful where the muzzle was pointing, they use Shotguns out their due to the flat land and hunting near houses etc.
    Does this happen often.. ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IomTWKNkzH0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJ0ymap404
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

yes because I'm flushing birds usually. If I'm doing something dangerous (crossing an obstical etc.) I put the safety on. If I'm somewhere that I can't shoot or its before shooting hours or I'm doing something iffy (climbing a cliff) I unload. I always keep my gun pointed ina safe direction if something should go off. I also hunt with a side by side shotgun, whit a pump action I keep it half pumped so i can pull up and shoot in one motion.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I never ever load until its time to shoot,thats basic gun saftey

Wink

Yes I do when i'm hunting, with the safety on until i'm ready to shoot. But i'm paranoid about keeping the barrel, handgun, shotgun or rifle, in a safe direction! This includes an unloaded weapon. Bill.

Default odd

When hunting in AK, and for things like sheep and goat in the lower 48 I will not have one in the chamber. I fully understand why. Maybe a few times if there is a chance at an attack.

However growing up in Ohio everyone does. In 20 years of hunting I do not think I have ever met a hunter who does not, in Ohio, WV, PA, IL, Iowa and MI. It is the norm here. Fast quick shots can happen. I normally treestand hunt and do not load until I am up, and unload coming down. But most guys walk, many deer taken would not be taken if they had to load.

At first for a brief second I was surprised when I began reading about hunting in the mountains and in AK where no round in the chamber was common. Immediatly I realized why, no reason and it is safer.

Yes, in all my hunting in the Maine woods I have only killed a buck once over 30 yards the rest were all close up and personal. We have very thick woods and it is rare to see over 50 yards. If there wasn't a bullet chambered I would get half of those deer. Thats why you have a safety on the gun. You keep it on until the moment you need to shoot. It is a lot quieter then chambering a round. Gun safety is always making sure the safety is on and even more importantly making sure the gun barrel is always pointed in a safe direction.

Did I read one of the posts right? I can't believe they allow a loaded gun in your vehicles up there. In PA where I was born and raised you cannot even lean a loaded gun against a truck and in Maine if you got into your truck with a loaded gun you were going to get a fine.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Default ditto BRNBEAR

I can't honestly think of very many situations up here where I need to have one in the pipe while rifle hunting. Most of the Alaska big game animals aren't nearly as skiddish as whitetails to the cycling of a bolt...why take the risk?

Powder Monkey - please tell me I misread your post about putting the safety on when you're crossing something...the safety should always be on until a bird is flushed for the shot.

Default Basic firearm saftey anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I can't honestly think of very many situations up here where I need to have one in the pipe while rifle hunting. Most of the Alaska big game animals aren't nearly as skiddish as whitetails to the cycling of a bolt...why take the risk?

Powder Monkey - please tell me I misread your post about putting the safety on when you're crossing something...the safety should always be on until a bird is flushed for the shot.
    Exactly the saftey sould ALWAYS be on...This i like the first thing i learned about firearms,kinda disturbing that some dont follow that simple rule

The only time I have a round in the chamber is when sitting, on final approach while stalking, or walking into a very dangerous situation such as a kill in griz areas.
    I will not hunt with anyone who walks around with a round in the chamber in a rifle. It is very easy to cycle the bolt as you shoulder the weapon.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast