Thread: 375 Ruger vs 375 H&H

Default 375 Ruger vs 375 H&H

Howdy to the Alaskans:

Curious: is the 375 Ruger getting legs there over the 375 H&H? I am rebarreling a SS action to go into a synthetic stock for general use bad weather and am considering one of the two.

I'd like to hear from you about ammo availability and experiences with the round.

Thanks!

Jeff

I know of quite a few guys who have picked up a 375 Ruger Alaskan and love them. Seen a few moose and bear killed by them, work as advertised. It seems like a new comer round that will stick around from what I can tell.

KK

But still, the history and tradition of the old 375 H&H. What a classic.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

It is a darn shame about this type of round. There are a lot of wildcat ctgs that do the same thing as the .375H&H. It 's not hard to beat out this 100+ year old ctg, and it has been done long before the .375 Ruger in standard actions. The fight was on for a long time to get a ctg that would work the same as the long old .375H&H in a standard action. Now you have a big name corporation that has come along with something not so new and companies a (New)? ctg that takes the place long ctg that only worked in a long action before and now works in a standard length action just as well in a standard length action. The principal thing to remember is that the .300H&H and the .375H&H came about in the days of cordite for powder and not the much more modern types of powder we use today. Yes the .75 Ruger works as well as the older .375H&H and does it in a standard length action.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I've got one that I like rather well. Works as advertised in a rifle thats priced well below what you can generally get a H&H chambered in. A guy could spend about $1000 and get a new rifle, scope and a box of ammo and be ready to hunt well beyond anything in N.A.

Negatives are the pressure it operates at is fairly high and that could lead to problematic extraction. I've never had an issue but there are a few stories floating around.

Ammo availability is often touted as a concern but I've found it every time I've looked, but I've never looked for it way out in the boonies either. Of course, I go with the expectation that ammo will be non-existant out there too.

In the field though I'm convinced there really isn't a lick of difference.

The 375 Ruger is certainly claiming a portion of market share here in AK. How much is hard to say. They are not common, but I've seen a few at the range and in the field here in the bush. It is a useful cartridge and performs as advertised, in so much as it duplicates H&H velocities in an '06 length action and a 20 inch barrel. There is no question that a 270 grain at 2700+ fps or a 300 grain at 2500+ fps is effective in the field, regardless of the cartridge that fires it.

As for your question concerning ammo availability, in Anchorage finding 375 Ruger may not be an issue--I can't say as I've not looked for it. I can say that if you land in Dillingham without ammo for your 375 Ruger you will not presently find any for sale. H&H ammo is available in Dillingham (270 grain Remington Core-Lokt). It's pricey, but available.

If I were choosing to build a rifle with an action long enough for the H&H I would definitely use the H&H, but in an '06 length action the Ruger would be an excellent substitute IMO. An often overlooked advantage of the H&H is its tapered case that eases feeding and extraction. The H&H also operates at a bit less pressure which also contributes to reliability. Both of these characteristics are definite attributes in a DGR or when you are hunting many miles from a replacement rifle.

It lasted longer than the 480 Ruger so time will tell

I bought the 375 Ruger for the short length, the price, the availability (it was on clearance at a going-out-of-business Sportsmans Warehouse in Nevada) and the ballistics were impressive.

I often hear people talk about the length of the action etc - my honest question (because I don't have a clue) is: Why is the standard action 'better'? Doesn't it just amount to how much further back you have to cycle the bolt to chamber a new round? Is that small distance a big deal or something?

I've bought my ammo online because I don't mind waiting to get the same ammo for less money than what the stores are selling it for, and am wearing down the wife to let me start reloading!

I should post some questions about reloading, since I'm completely new at that too...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It lasted longer than the 480 Ruger so time will tell
    I'm not too sure we've seen the last of the 480 Ruger.

Tim call and check with Ruger.The 460&500 S&W were just recived to much over the 480.Over on the Ruger forum are some kinda insiders.

If you want the full 375 ruger for alaska, by the african version with 23" barrel and restock it. I get 2800-2825 FPS with factory 270 ammo and 3/4" at 100 yard 300 shot and 1.5" 3 shots at 200 yards.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I have the African version and love it. I had the factory walnut stock glass bedded and an extra cross bolt installed inside the pistol grip to help keep it from splitting from running hot loads. I also added a decelerator recoil pad to replace the factory pad.

The gun flat out shoots! It's easily one of my most reliable rifles. If there was only one rifle in my safe that I could count on to hit exactly where I want, it's my .375 Ruger. Loaded stout with a Barnes 270 grain TSX at somewhere near 2800 fps it's really tough to beat in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Tim call and check with Ruger.The 460&500 S&W were just recived to much over the 480.Over on the Ruger forum are some kinda insiders.
    Yes I know about it, but I think the 480 Ruger has a lot going for it and it wont ultimately die. One of the major benefits of the 480 is that it was available in a much less obnoxiously huge revolver than those "boat anchor" X frame S&W's. I do beleive that some day Ruger will wake up and chamber that 480 in a Black Hawk and the public demand will be huge.

I remember when the 10MM died off and no gun makers were chambering a pistol in it. But then Glock and Kimber started to chamber it and now it is hugely popular as it should be--I'm willing to bet that some day, the 480 will have a new life too.....

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    I'm not too sure we've seen the last of the 480 Ruger.
    I love mine. If I lost it, I'd buy another. The cartridge has great benefits, it just never took off. It's got a big hit without the need for muzzle brakes. It won't tear your arm off. It's not too good out past 75 yards, but it is a pistol! I do think the .460 and .500 are quite the round, but holy cow, if you use that thing out in the wild without earplugs, at least you won't have to listen to your buddy snoring at night! Heck, you can shoot a .475 Linebaugh and shoot .480s when you're "plinkin".

That .475 Ruger is a dandy. I think it'd really be great if you reloaded your own.

Thumbs up 375 Ruger Alaskan

Really like mine a Ruger AK in 375 Ruger put a Leupold 1.5x5 with Warne QR rings and Harris Bipods and I shoot handloads of Reloader 15 @ 76.0 with 260gr Accubonds ...........what a accurate rifle.

[QUOTE=Tim Sundles;687270]obnoxiously huge revolver than those "boat anchor" X frame S&W's. And here I thought I was the only one that thought a handgun should be smaller and lighter than a rifle.

I commented in another post. I have the Alaskan and it shoots lights out!