Thread: 4 Stroke OB Oil

Question 4 Stroke OB Oil

There may already be an earlier thread on this, if so, please advise. I am curious to know your opinion on synthetic vs organic oils in your outboards. Does the performance of synthetic justify the price? Personally, I use regular detergant oil with the SAE rating reccomended in the users manual. Am I shortening the life of my ouboard by being a cheapskate?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Amsoil

I am a firm believer in Amsoil. Been running it in everything for years as my parents have been doing the same and no problems to this date. It's not cheap.

BK

Due to the issue of moisture and long storage periods, IMHO it is most important to frequently change your oil.

In my truck I use synthetic oil because of cold starts in low temps and to increase my distance between oil changes, though I change the filter out at the recomended mileage for dino oil.

On my boat I just change the oil every season, even though I typically run it far under the recomended hours per change. I haven't seen a reason to run synthetic in my o/b as I don't have the cold start issue nor do I plan to run extended time between changes.

Default Cheap Insurance

I run synthetic in everything (usually Mobil 1) and do filter and oil changes every 3000 (I have a 06 Tundra and a 07 Sequoia) I change the Outboard oil at the end of the season (again with new filters) and about half way through the season. Compared to the price of the outboard $25.00 or so in oil and filter is way cheap.

Same with the Trucks, Yamaha ATV and even the lawn mower

Default If you change at recommended interval....

Or every season if your not putting that many hours/miles on, of course the synthetic folks won't ever have a problem but neither will the dino oil folks. I've put about 300,000 miles on a couple of Honda Accords running nothing but Castrol 5w-30 dino oil in them with 3K to 5K oil changes (going over 3K only when long trips happen...), and never had an engine problem related to oil. In fact, they still had factory compression with that many miles on them. Used up a lot of tires though

I never put over the change interval on my Honda boat motors in a season, so just change the oil every season, using Honda oil. I would bet my engines will last as long as anyone using synthetics, I'll spend a lot less money, buy yeah, if it's only once a year and you are worried about it, buy the synthetic, Mobil needs the cash and it's not that much anyway!

I say use what ever turns your crank as long as it has the NMMA FC-W® rating. I believe that Amsoil produces an oil designed for outboards.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have a Suzuki and they recommend using Suzuki brand oil for it, so that's what I use. Is it more $$, I don't care. It's changed when required and it's a helluva lot cheaper than a new motor.

Unhappy What is behind it?

Not ever having had it explained to me, I have always wondered if there isn't more hype than science behind the push for synthetic oils. What makes synthetic oils distinctly different in performance, and how much of a difference is there? I don't want to blindly spend my scant (my wife might be reading this) boating funds on expensive oil just becuase "so and so says it's the best thing since bread and butter". I'm naturally a skeptic, and sometimes that goes against me, but it would be nice to know exactly what the benefits are.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

[QUOTE=swampdonkey;686439]I have a Suzuki and they recommend using Suzuki brand oil for it, so that's what I use. Is it more $$, I don't care. It's changed when required and it's a helluva lot cheaper than a new motor.[

same here
    Boatless

synthetic oils are more slippery so cause less friction, which translate into longer engine life and better gas mileage although by a small amount. most tests on cars show it pays for itself in longer time between oil changes needed and slightly better gas mileage.
    most all if not all boat motor companies do not make oil and just put their name on someone elses package. although certain ones may have additional additives specified.

For what it's worth. From Honda's website.

"Honda engines are developed, tested, and certified with petroleum based motor oils as a lubricant. Any motor oil used in our engines must meet all oil requirements as stated in the owner’s manual to include the recommended oil change intervals."

Who makes Suzuki oil? Yamaha oil? john Deere oil? go ahead a pay for a label, because I would be willing to bet a six pack that Suzuki doesn't have a it's own oil production plant
    I have 1300 hours on my Yamaha F150 and no problems and it's only had Yamy oil in it twice. I do change it every 100 hrs and at the end of the season along with the filter.

The single most important factor when it comes to motor oil is; Change it regularly and be sure it meets spec.

I have been a professional mechanic for 21 years, driven every vehicle I have owned well in excess of 100k miles, a majority of them over 200k miles, with no major repairs simply due to the fact I stayed on top of preventative maintenance. All natural petroleum products unless otherwise required by the manufacturer.

PM is the least expensive form of insurance for any machine and is always far less than the cost of repair.

When i was in the Marines a buddy was a mechanic on Harrier jump jets. All he ran in his bike were sythetic. i asked him why> Thats all they used on the jets. If in a combat situation and it was an emergency he told me they could use regular oil but they would only get half the life out of the engine. I have always used sythetic and changed every 4000 miles and have always gotten well in excess of 250,000 out of my trucks before i sold them. they were always running great when i sold them and never had an engine problem.

Default Actual proof, not just talk...

Autoshop demonstration: Motor has a spinning bearing attached to a torque wrench arm. The torgue wrench can be levered down to stop the motor (presses against the spinning bearing being turned by the motor -acts like breaks.)

OIL is applied to the bearing and the torque wrench measures how much pressure it takes to stop the motor.

The results were-
    BEST: Pennsoil and Quaker state
    WORST: Slick 50 and Valvoline
    All others inbetween these.

...You should have seen it.