Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Funniest, Craziest, and/or most annoying thing ever heard at a Gunshop!

Default Funniest, Craziest, and/or most annoying thing ever heard at a Gunshop!

Okay, another fun thread...

After reading about the Palmer show, and some of the comments about frustrations with a certain gunshop employee it reminded me of some of the FUNNY stories and frustrations I remember from working at a gunshop...SO:

What's the Funniest, Craziest, and/or most annoying thing ever seen or heard at a Gunshop counter!?
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 03-10-2010 at 21:20. Reason: Business name deleted...

The typical one that used to drive me crazy was when a customer would ask "is it loaded"? Right then I wanted to stop, sit them down, and give them a rundown on Coopers rules of firearms. But, in retrospect I realize a person HAS to start somewhere...but it's almost like EVERY GUN SOLD should come with an hour of classroom instruction.

Default Years ago I was in the gun shop in Muldoon when...

a guy in his early twenties came in and wuz looking around and talking to the shop owner at the same time...He said that he wanted a new lube for his minie 14 cuz his last trip in the bush he was attacked by a pack of wolves and as one was jumping at him his gun jammed and the wolf pasted over his head. He felt that the cold temps caused the lube to jam his rifle...I couldn't stop listening..The shop owner with a smile on his face recommended a grafite (spel?) lube....The kid went on to point at the some of the stuffed heads on the wall and was saying "I shot heads of game".. I shot heads of moose and shot heads of bear and I shot heads of sheep etc....The shop owner turned to the guy and said why didn't you shoot the rest of them...? Meaning you only shot their heads...Maybe you had to be there ..I thought it was very funnie

Yup, that's funny. It kinda makes ya wonder if there should be a licence required, huh? Or at least a mandatory "proof of life" brain scan...

We really DO need to get more folks involved with proper training, and of course signed up in the NRA.

"A 270 Winchester is all you will ever need for Alaska brown bear hunting."

Great advice from a new gun shop employee, recently moved up from the lower 48.

Perterson Publishing editor hunting down on the Kenai who was hunting moose with a guide...He shot a VARY large moose at close range with a .270 and had to shoot it 4 times and turned around to the guide and said...You do the math who says a .270 isn't enough gun for moose...I wonder what kind of math he was doing....long division...?

I get really tired of minimum wage workers lecturing me about guns, when I've been shooting them, reloading for them and building them longer than most of the clerks have been on this earth. Seems like $9/hr and a step behind the counter makes them an authority. If they'd shut their pie holes and open their ear holes they'd probably learn a few things.

But show an interest in standard firearms, and you should prepare yourself for Black Gun Sermon #137. I'm happy they're enthused about something, but hey, make a little room for other people's enthusiasm, too.

Gripe over.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I get really tired of minimum wage workers lecturing me about guns, when I've been shooting them, reloading for them and building them longer than most of the clerks have been on this earth. Seems like $9/hr and a step behind the counter makes them an authority. If they'd shut their pie holes and open their ear holes they'd probably learn a few things.

But show an interest in standard firearms, and you should prepare yourself for Black Gun Sermon #137. I'm happy they're enthused about something, but hey, make a little room for other people's enthusiasm, too.

Gripe over.
    I feel very similarly BB. Dedicated gunshops are somewhat better, but save fairly unique cases, the endless spout of knowledge is aggravating from behind the counter. I appreciate someone that knows their product, but that does not make them a general firearms expert or master guide.

The oddest thing I ever heard in a gun store??

Lady runs through the front door of the gun shop and yells, "I NEED A GUN NOOOOOWWWW." When you hear that in a gun shop you start to wonder why someone would be in such a hurry to purchase a gun. HMMMMMMMMM

I've told this one before but will again.

I was visiting the gun counter at a local farm and home store just looking to see what was new whilst mother was off buying stuff we really didn't need. This guy walks up dressed in a fancier suit than I got married in and asks to see the slug guns. Turns out he was a college prof. that just moved to town from the east coast. It was also very evident that he was on a budget. The guy behind the counter normally worked in the auto department and was like a fish out of water. He showed him one of those new Savage SXS's with the gold duck on the side in 20 gauge. I cleared my throat and said I don't think thats what you really want for a slug gun. They both looked at me like I was from outer space so I just shrugged my shoulders, bit my lip and watched the stupidity happen. The guy ended up buying a NEF single shot 12 ga slug gun and some 3" slugs. Then they were on to attaching a scope to it. They had it narrowed down to 2 different scopes. One being a 2.5X shotgun scope and the other being a 4X rimfire scope. Mr tight wad bought the rimfire scope because it was cheaper and it made things look bigger. I said nothing!

A week later I am finishing up my business at the post office and turn to leave and there in line behind me stands the tight wad college professor and he is sporting a big ole bandage just above his shooting eye and it is black and blue clear down to his cheek bone. I chuckled, looked at him like he was from outer space and left.

I was looking around at one of the aforementioned gun shops, and overheard a customer, who obviously needed some help and was a novice, talking about a handgun. After the customer left, the guy behind the counter (I THINK also aforementioned) starts ranting to the entire store full of customers about how he couldn't sell that guy a gun cause he didn't know what he wanted. Now the customer was a novice, but wasn't trying to spew any knowledge, he needed help. That belittlement of the customer after he left the shop made me promise myself not to buy anything there unless absolutely necessary. I don't care how knowledgeable somebody is or thinks they are, there is no cause for that. I think gun customers and salesmen alike need to take a big dose of humility, cause it just gives the whole industry a bad name sometimes.

Second oddest thing was when I was working in a gun shop, and a guy brings in a gun for trade. First thing I do is obviously check to see if it's loaded. That was the only loaded gun I encountered supprisingly enough, but what really took the prize is that the guy didn't see anything wrong with it. There was actually a round IN THE CHAMBER.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

A couple years back I listened to one Idiot tell me that he preferred carrying the now-discontinued 117g Aguila IQ ammo in his personal .45auto because, "it made his 1911 a couple ounces lighter on his hip." I remember thinking he was a couple ounces light in the brain.
    -J

Mid 70's Bill M. is working at GNG, guy walks in Say's where can I find a Bull Moose. Bill M. Say's I just saw one in the "KIMO" Channel 13 parking lot, next door and points up Tudor Road. Guy leaves GNG, shoots moose, season was closed, APD walks into GNG, Bill M. Say's, "I just give information, what they do with it is their business". (True Story)

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    The typical one that used to drive me crazy was when a customer would ask "is it loaded"? Right then I wanted to stop, sit them down, and give them a rundown on Coopers rules of firearms. But, in retrospect I realize a person HAS to start somewhere...but it's almost like EVERY GUN SOLD should come with an hour of classroom instruction.
    the only thing i can see wrong with asking if it is loaded, is the person should have just physically checked themselves.

My only real annoyance is "gun guys" behind the counter that seem to only want to sell guns to other "gun guys". I never was a big pistol fan historically though that is changing as of late. I wanted to get the wife a pistol since I am gone a lot but didn't know exactly what. I knew I wanted an auto with several safety features since we have young kids. Sure they are taught about guns and know not to touch them but hey a little insurance sets the mind at ease! I went into one shop and they kept telling the wife she needs a revolver. We told them at least 5 times that we didn't want a revolver, we wanted something with a slide, and at least 1 other safety feature preferably 2! After being shown 5 different revolvers against our will it appeared that the "salesman" was pretty annoyed with us for not understanding why we "needed" a revolver. We walked out of there and the wife was fuming over the whole experience. About a month later we walked into a shop in Wasilla to pick up some 44 ammo for a couple hours of target practice. An hour later we were walking out with a kimber ultra carry II and a VERY happy wife, so happy in fact she bought me my EAA witness 10mm at the same time. The compact 1911 made perfect sense for her, it has a slide that is too strong for my youngest 2 kids to rack and a struggle for the oldest, an actual safety and a grip safety yet my wife can have it ready to rock in seconds!
    Funny how you walk into a shop looking to buy gun and go home empty handed but try and pick up a box of ammo and the right shop will send you out the door over a grand lighter in the pocket with a big grin on your face!

Not exactly a true story.....but I always thought it was funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My only real annoyance is "gun guys" behind the counter that seem to only want to sell guns to other "gun guys". I never was a big pistol fan historically though that is changing as of late. I wanted to get the wife a pistol since I am gone a lot but didn't know exactly what. I knew I wanted an auto with several safety features since we have young kids. Sure they are taught about guns and know not to touch them but hey a little insurance sets the mind at ease! I went into one shop and they kept telling the wife she needs a revolver. We told them at least 5 times that we didn't want a revolver, we wanted something with a slide, and at least 1 other safety feature preferably 2! After being shown 5 different revolvers against our will it appeared that the "salesman" was pretty annoyed with us for not understanding why we "needed" a revolver. We walked out of there and the wife was fuming over the whole experience. About a month later we walked into a shop in Wasilla to pick up some 44 ammo for a couple hours of target practice. An hour later we were walking out with a kimber ultra carry II and a VERY happy wife, so happy in fact she bought me my EAA witness 10mm at the same time. The compact 1911 made perfect sense for her, it has a slide that is too strong for my youngest 2 kids to rack and a struggle for the oldest, an actual safety and a grip safety yet my wife can have it ready to rock in seconds!
    Funny how you walk into a shop looking to buy gun and go home empty handed but try and pick up a box of ammo and the right shop will send you out the door over a grand lighter in the pocket with a big grin on your face!
    Glad to here you stood your ground on your choice not to get a revolver. You got her the ultimate carry gun! Good job!

While getting groceries in did my usual wonder by the gun counter. There in the case was a $130 Hipoint. I had never seen one before and since there happened to be someone at the counter I asked to take a look, not that I had an interest in buying it. The guy takes it out and hands it over. After studying it a bit and realizing there is no way to take the slid off to clean it without driving out a roll pin in the plastic I am defiantly not interested in buying at any price. The guy takes it back and says something like "Yah, sure it's cheap but it is great to keep under the seat of your truck in case someone starts giving you attitude in traffic!" I just walked away shaking my head.

1985, northern California in a very large sporting goods store. Customer asks clerk behind the gun counter for a good 300 yard deer rifle. CLerk pulls down a Winchester 1894 chambered in 30-30 and proceeds to sell it to the customer. After watching this for about 3 minutes, the good Samaritan in me spoke up and said that a 30-30 was not a real good choice for a 300 yard deer rifle, but a bolt action, like that WInchester mod. 70 chambered in 270 Winchester, with a good scope, would be a very good choice. The clerk who was twice my age, proceeds to tell me that he's been doing this for 30 years and that he wrote several of the current reloading manuals and he understands all about balistics, etc.

As I walked away, my parting comment was, "doing something wrong for 30 years still wont make it right". He was very upset. I was sorry I said anything.

Phone rings at the shop, and I answer...expecting the question "do you have any .380auto" for the 2000th time that day.

Instead....

caller: "hello, I need to know how do you clean a gun?"

"what type of gun?" I ask.
    "a pistol" he replies.
    "what caliber?" I ask...getting ready to make sure we have proper cleaning kit in stock.
    "38auto" he responds.
    "Okay, let me see if we have a .38 cleaning kit" I say...pretty sure we do.
    "No, I mean how do you clean FINGERPRINTS and stuff off the gun" he says.

Long pause..as I wonder just what he's done......
    "Sir, you didn't just shoot someone did you?"
    <click>

15minutes later a guy comes into the store, Gang tats to include the teardrop by his eye, etc...and buys a .38 cleaning kit, and a box of 38auto ammo...(from the boss). That always bothered me. The boss didn't care who he sold to to make a buck.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast