Thread: Good river runs for a novice

Default Good river runs for a novice

I'm looking for some good river runs to try out this summer. The water can't be too skinny because I'll be limited by a prop this year. I live in Kenai but would like to explore something a little more out of the way than the Kenai River.

My setup this year will likely be an ATEC Sockeye 1648 with a Yamaha F20... so I can't do anything that would require monster horsepower (that and my boat handling skills aren't finely tuned just yet).

Thanks

Default Big Su

You should be ok on the Big Su after the river level come up. I am thinking that you are a little short on hp. Another 10-15 hp would be very helpful depending on what you have in the boat and if it is a tiller. You can run down the big su and fish the Deshka or go all the way down to the Yentna and head up to the Yentna Station or even Lake Creek if you really want to burn some gas.

Default how far

how far is intersection of Yetna and Su by boat? How far up to the station?

Can it readily be run in a prop job after the water is up?

You could probably do the little su as well.

Post tiller...yup...

run every river u come across/extra props/pins etc.... LEARN... run with jet latter... a year or two ....and U will post on what/ how the rest should drive/best ways....welcome to the proud and few/wantabee's
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    how far is intersection of Yetna and Su by boat? How far up to the station?

Can it readily be run in a prop job after the water is up?
    It can be run rather easily with a prop after ice out and into mid summer or so. Depends on the summer rains and if the summer is a warm one. It fluctuates all year long and the channels/sand bars move too. There's a barge that runs from the Deshka down to the Yentna (approx. 20 miles) and up to Skwentna (not sure the mileage, maybe another 20miles +/-??) when the river is open, pretty much year around. BUT-they know that river as good or better than most and they use twin engines w/ props and charts. I've also seen that barge flipped over and upsidedown too a few years back. If your just breaking out, a little more power will be appreciated, especially when returning back up river against the current or with a load. A jet will definately buy you a little space when you turn where you shouldn't have. On the Su, it's not always a single channel to follow and knowing which channel to take can/will make or break your run. Good luck...