Thread: Intruder in the night......

Default Intruder in the night......

I step on to the front porch of my small cabin and listen for the noisy approach of my night time intruder. I step slowly from the front step and move silently down the path through the woods. In my right hand is my old 44, a Smith & Wesson model 29, loaded with 250 grain Keith style hard cast lead. In my left hand is my SureFire Defender light.

I move silently down the wooded path, my feet search for the soft earth in the center of the path, avoiding the rocks. I hear the rustle of leaves from my intruder as he moves slightly to my left. Is he trying to flank me? I stop and listen. I turn my head to better locate the direction of the sound. He is closer now, not moving away, he's here for a show down. My pulse quickens as I listen. Is he moving to better his position? I check my own position. I'm in the open pathway, no cover, my silhouette protected only by a dark row of cedars behind me. I am unable to move to cover without giving away my position. The darkness is my only concealment. How could I be so stupid? He is closer now I hear his every move, there, slightly to the left. No! In front of me! He is close, it is now or never, I must make my move.

The light is held high, above my head and out a little left, the big forty four comes up in one smooth easy motion, eye level. My left thumb punches the soft rubber cover on the light switch and a world of light beams before me. The kind of light for an actor on a stage, but where is the actor. The orange-red insert in the front sight picks up the light and is easy to see. It settles quickly in the rear notch. Where is he?

A second passes then two. There! Slightly to the left, I see his distinctive armored hump. The front sight settles in the middle of the hump, my right trigger finger already holding the trigger back more than half way. I steady the gun. The forty four barks in the still darkness. A flash of fire and the light shows the intruder. In just a fraction of a second, I see him go down and roll over as the shot echoes across the creek bottom. The threat is gone! I relax and move forward slowly with my spot light on his last position. A quick sweep to the left and right to check for his back-up. Nothing. I move in and find the big bullet has done its work. A gaping hole in the middle of the armored torso of my nocturnal intruder. One less armadillo, one more training scenario completed. Time for a cold one!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

and many less holes in the lawn! Sounds like a good night.

Sheesh! About half way through that story I had my mind made up that Murphy was gonna off a bad guy.

Man my life sucks!!! We got no bears, mooses, pronghorns, elk and now I find out that there is one more shootable that we ain't got none of! I gotta move! Heck we've even run plumb outta cats!

Things might be looking up! I snuffed an opossum in the back yard last night! Think I'll put some bait out might be anudder one or two in the neighborhood.

Thats a good one Murphy reminds me of offing those pesky things with my 10/22 by maglight in Georgia.

Where's the trophy pictures?!

we get alot of moose beddin up along side the house....you can hear em chewing their cuds......very annoying....they get in our apple tree and yes a bb in the butt does em much good medicine......and also makes em crabbier than the apples....moose are a grudge holdin lot if you ask me.....ive the same cow hold a grudge against me for runnin her outta my garden for a whole summer! she would wait for me and my dog on the edge of a thick willow patch in the sand pit by our home...bluff charge sometimes and once she snuck right up behind me, if not for the dog id have never known she was there!..gave us many scares! shes still around the neighborhood too. i hope i get the good fortune of seein her hit by a truck.

Release Lake Trout

So you bagged a Hoover Hog! Question is, will you eat it as many people did during the Great Depression?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    we get alot of moose beddin up along side the house....you can hear em chewing their cuds......very annoying....they get in our apple tree and yes a bb in the butt does em much good medicine......and also makes em crabbier than the apples....moose are a grudge holdin lot if you ask me.....ive the same cow hold a grudge against me for runnin her outta my garden for a whole summer! she would wait for me and my dog on the edge of a thick willow patch in the sand pit by our home...bluff charge sometimes and once she snuck right up behind me, if not for the dog id have never known she was there!..gave us many scares! shes still around the neighborhood too. i hope i get the good fortune of seein her hit by a truck.

she must of liked your soap that you used..

had that happen with a bull that we owned on the farm and i hated that bull for a long time when it came time to kill it ..i did not know that my dad was walking behind as i was shoveling shells into my rifle and saying your going to get your now you------------ piece of ---------- ..my dad grab my shoulder as to say wait and let hold on for a second and here comes my uncle danny running at a full speed for the fence and saying bad word here and there make to the fence and cross the fence a like high school running back going into the endzone and the bull stops a couple of feet from the fence as to say it my yard .. my uncle danny grabs my rifle and is going over the fence after bull to kill it ..when my dad says to no one about us holding grudges for beening chase across the fence in pasture areas a few times by the bull ..he did taste good after he was done up right ..

that bull a couple of times just came up behind up and just did that snort and it was on to the fence ..

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I step on to the front porch of my small cabin and listen
    WELL written! Thanks Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ..moose are a grudge holdin lot if you ask me
    LMAO!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I grew up in Missouri, and there wern't any armadillos, at least we never heard of any. I thought they were only found way down south in desert country.

BUT, they gott'em down there, now. When my beeg brother told me, I was amazed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Big bore Armadilla shootin'.

Sounds like fun Murphy, While I have probably shot at least a hundred of them things in my childhood days, I can't reliably say I ever used anything bigger than a 22. Did see a cousin shoot one with a bow once, when the Dilla started thrashing around, the links between his shell plates bent the heck out of that aluminum shaft.

Thumbs up

Good suspenseful writing... enjoyed the read.

Default good story, great writting

I was thinking some sort of boar.
    Wonder how many different critters were folks thinking of when reading it.
    Didn't even know they had that sort of critters in those parts.

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    I was thinking some sort of boar.
    Wonder how many different critters were folks thinking of when reading it.
    Didn't even know they had that sort of critters in those parts.
    I was thinking coyote because I have been there done that. Armadillo never crossed my mind since I had no idea they had infiltrated that far north.

At my cousins house near Hico Texas I learned to just walk up behind them and pick them up by the tail. They explode into a run when touched but if you have fast hands you can grab the base of the tail and rip them up fast. They relax in no time but if the feet feel something they think may give them traction they explode into action all over again. They are nearly blind, don’t hear very well, and don’t seem to have a ‘nose’ even, but sure can feel heavy footsteps through the ground. It got kinda exciting once when one my cousin was holding got away from him inside the cab of my truck at 60mph, picture a bowling ball hurling its self at you as you try to stop.

I dined on a lot of them when visiting, they are fair eating but in the 80s it was discovered they do contract and may carry leprosy . . . I've not partaken since!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

[QUOTE=ADfields;689072]I was thinking coyote because I have been there done that. Armadillo never crossed my mind since I had no idea they had infiltrated that far north.

At my cousins house near Hico Texas I learned to just walk up behind them and pick them up by the tail. They explode into a run when touched but if you have fast hands you can grab the base of the tail and rip them up fast. They relax in no time but if the feet feel something they think may give them traction they explode into action all over again. They are nearly blind, don’t hear very well, and don’t seem to have a ‘nose’ even, but sure can feel heavy footsteps through the ground. It got kinda exciting once when one my cousin was holding got away from him inside the cab of my truck at 60mph, picture a bowling ball hurling its self at you as you try to stop.

i see you family is like my family when it comes to useing a Armadillo a as roadside bowling ball on people from a moveing truck or hay wagon ..

my wife got so mad one day from them tearing up the garden she was a little nuts out there with a shotgun blasting everyone she could find that day ..

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I step on to the front porch of my small cabin and listen for the noisy approach of my night time intruder. I step slowly from the front step and move silently down the path through the woods. In my right hand is my old 44, a Smith & Wesson model 29, loaded with 250 grain Keith style hard cast lead. In my left hand is my SureFire Defender light.

I move silently down the wooded path, my feet search for the soft earth in the center of the path, avoiding the rocks. I hear the rustle of leaves from my intruder as he moves slightly to my left. Is he trying to flank me? I stop and listen. I turn my head to better locate the direction of the sound. He is closer now, not moving away, he's here for a show down. My pulse quickens as I listen. Is he moving to better his position? I check my own position. I'm in the open pathway, no cover, my silhouette protected only by a dark row of cedars behind me. I am unable to move to cover without giving away my position. The darkness is my only concealment. How could I be so stupid? He is closer now I hear his every move, there, slightly to the left. No! In front of me! He is close, it is now or never, I must make my move.

The light is held high, above my head and out a little left, the big forty four comes up in one smooth easy motion, eye level. My left thumb punches the soft rubber cover on the light switch and a world of light beams before me. The kind of light for an actor on a stage, but where is the actor. The orange-red insert in the front sight picks up the light and is easy to see. It settles quickly in the rear notch. Where is he?

A second passes then two. There! Slightly to the left, I see his distinctive armored hump. The front sight settles in the middle of the hump, my right trigger finger already holding the trigger back more than half way. I steady the gun. The forty four barks in the still darkness. A flash of fire and the light shows the intruder. In just a fraction of a second, I see him go down and roll over as the shot echoes across the creek bottom. The threat is gone! I relax and move forward slowly with my spot light on his last position. A quick sweep to the left and right to check for his back-up. Nothing. I move in and find the big bullet has done its work. A gaping hole in the middle of the armored torso of my nocturnal intruder. One less armadillo, one more training scenario completed. Time for a cold one!
    Next time hit one midsection with a 30-30, it will blow them cleanin two. I've done it on several occasions.