Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillingham

Quote Originally Posted by LarBear View Post

all these new words I've never heard of. How's about Bushchik, or Noogiegrip, ...... ya know, words that make sense.

Here's another one you may not have heard of, but might fit your criteria...

The Chilikadrotna river from Twin Lakes down to the mouth of the Stuyahok would be a good kayak trip as well.

Nothing wrong at all with your original choice...Just offering alternatives....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by LarBear View Post
    I like this bunch. BTW, it's a Radio Flyer not a Red Ryder, and I keep a pic of my MOMMA on the deck of my kayak..
    The ability to pick on one's self is a good measure of character. From what I can see, you are well stocked on character

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you, even though you don't know shet about BB guns and wagons. Post and post often.

Asking questions here as well as the fishing/flyfishing, gear, canoeing, etc.. forums should get you more than enough info to plan your trip. Be mindful that more folks canoe the route you are looking at than kayak, so be sure to start a thread in the canoeing forum. I am sure you would get some info in doing so. The Wood-Tikchik and Kenai Canoe Trails are popular routes with canoe folks.

Something I often do when planning float trips or trips to areas of Alaska I am not familiar, use the search feature. For example, search one of the many specific lake names in Wood-Tikchik. Search the rivers name. Search Wood-Tikchik of course. Things like that. Then go back and read any old forum posts related to these searches. When you read a post and the guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about, shoot him a PM (click on his name). I find 80%+ of folks on this forum are more than willing to share info with like minded individuals. Good luck with your search for info and don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you hit a road block.

Read this..

http://www.swakcc.org/followingrainbows.htm

Buy this...

(article on page 46)

http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar...3/9_03_toc.htm

Lastly, if you don't flyfish, learn how now! Shoot me a PM and we can talk about it if applicable. Much easier than most folks think.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another thing to do when visiting an area you are not familiar, look up weather patterns and historical averages for said area. I use wunderground for this. Go to that site, the select "travel and activities" up top, then choose "trip planner". You enter dates as your trip, like Aug 10-20. Then you enter the town nearest your destination, Dillingham pehaps for this trip. It will show you around 10 years worth of highs/lows, wind, rain, etc.. for that area. Great way to decide what sleeping bag rating is needed, clothes, likelyhood of rain, wind, amount of liquor to take, etc.. A valuable tool indeed

http://www.wunderground.com/

Also, be sure to download Google Earth (free) and use it. View the river and lakes, plot the route you are taking and use the distance tool to determine exact mileage. Fantastic tool!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default email sent

email sent

Thank you everyone for all your valued inputs.

lar

Default My backyard

First, I've spent the last 6 years living and working on this system for work, fishing, hunting and general goofing off and some things need cleared up. I love this area like no other I've ever had the privilege (yes...it is a major privilege) to get to live and work in.

It's LITTLE Togiak Lake, and yes it's amazing. Look for pike in the bays off the right as you line up the short but swift connecting river to Lake Nerka (Second Lake). I just say this so folks don't confuse it with the actual Togiak Lake which lies at the top end of the Togiak River which flows 50 miles south to the village of Togiak. (this is about 80 miles west of Dillingham and although pretty, not even remotely connected to Little Togiak Lake)

The top Lake In the Wood system is called Kulik (also fifth lake) the fourth (Michaulk) is a small connnector between the top river (Wind) and the second (Peace). Kulik has some really nice pike in some areas and also a few stream mouths with a mix of char, grayling and rainbows. I would suggest flying up there with Rick Grant with a rented Kayak strapped to the floats....and it is only a put in and then you paddle down to Alegnagik where there is a road and he will probably pick you up. And it is nowhere near 3800 dollars for that trip. He can tell you to the penny how much it will be but I'd say with current rates you will be less than 1,000 dollars. Heck, once I'm back up there, you can pay for my gas and I'll run you up there in my jetboat....then I can mosey my way back down. (This would cost around 300 dollars). If you want to line it up the other rivers and save the airfare (not suggested) it would be lots more work and downhill is always a nicer way to run.

There is NO refuge in that spot. There is the Togiak National Wildlife Refuge to the west (and it's huge) but it does not overlap with anywhere you would be going. Instead call the rangers at the Wood-Tikchik State Park in Dillingham (Aleknagik, the vilage at the lake) is where they actually live. Nice guys Jonny and Bill, they will give you the skinny.

The bears there are heavily hunted, to the point that few of my bear pictures come from the Wood River system and none of my bunghole puckering stories. They usually run pretty hard and fast. Don't worry about a bear fence, but bring a gun or bear spray....kinda like wearing a seatbelt, when you need it you need it. These bears are mighty scared of humans, and if you are there during the salmon run, they could care less about you and will walk right past...they have better things to do and eat than mess with you or eat your spam.

Yup, the fishing is great, the water is gin clear, and there is little development. THere are some squatter cabins of sorts spread around but there is also lots of good camping. (some areas have just a few really good ones depending on water level but Rick once again can show you on the map where the best ones are.) I'd suggest leaving the cabins alone as they are on private land or native allotments and while general use in an emergency situation is completely understood, it would otherwise be kinda a trespass. But, there is very little private land in general and if you cleanly camp on a beach that happens to be an allottment and you didn't see the sign...you are probably less invasive than some of the locals that go up there and will have no problems.

The Nushagak also offers some nice floats but most of the mainstem is very wide and not as scenic. The koktuli, stuyahok, iowithla, and upper nushagak by harris creek are some good options and then either paddle all the way to Dillingham (not suggested due to 20 miles of rippin ride water) or get picked up by floatplane again. I'd suggest the Wood River system, it's the best way to really enjoy the real Alaska as Sayak stated.

So, feel free to PM me on more for this. I posted all this to clear up some of the confounded and well meant but wrong information already posted. None of this is rocket science, bring good gear and a relaxed mind, no need to overplan. The wind can blow pretty good in spots as stated, but being prudent and waiting it out in the many protected spots will work just fine.

Regarding food, if you have a need or preference for backpacky type foods, just mail them up there as was suggested, you can get the other basics at the stores and indeed expect to pay more....2-3 times as much. But, you can keep all the char and pike a man can eat, and even rainbows are allowable to take in some areas...just don't let the guides see you do it.

ps, do not buy your booze there if you can help it. A case of Budweiser is more than 40 bucks. A fifth of Beam is 32 last I checked. Plus, if you are picky, selection is limited. Also, they are closed on Sunday so if that's your day to get ready, booze will not be available.

Greetings! I realize this thread is 10 years old but I am planning this very trip and am curious about present conditions. I see Rick Grant is still flying and would like to be dropped in Kulik and paddle back down. I want to take plenty of time, My Wife and I like to fish and hope the conditions are still as fabulous as they seem. My questions are many, a few this time: I am planning to take a Folbot unless more experienced persons advise against it. I am planning to take both bear spray and firearms for defensive purposes. Catch It, you suggest they are human wary, that was ten years ago. Has the situation changed much? I have many more questions but want to connect with the experienced for advice. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by duteman View Post
    Greetings! I realize this thread is 10 years old but I am planning this very trip and am curious about present conditions. I see Rick Grant is still flying and would like to be dropped in Kulik and paddle back down. I want to take plenty of time, My Wife and I like to fish and hope the conditions are still as fabulous as they seem. My questions are many, a few this time: I am planning to take a Folbot unless more experienced persons advise against it. I am planning to take both bear spray and firearms for defensive purposes. Catch It, you suggest they are human wary, that was ten years ago. Has the situation changed much? I have many more questions but want to connect with the experienced for advice. Thanks in advance.
    When do you plan on coming up? Ive only made it up to second lake so far. Spent a weekend bear hunting/camping near the end of May. We were too early for the bears and the trip was more of a camping/scouting trip with a friend. Spent a day on little Togiak and I loved it so much, that I planned a trip to fifth lake to work my way back down to the landing with my dad. He blew his knee out, so we're waiting for him to heal up.
    There are plenty of bears in this area, and though incarry a handgun or shotgun or 45-70 with me out there, you would
    be done without one i believe. I know a group of teachers that did a kayak trip to third lake without a gun. They saw two bears though they were visited by one.
    I plan on doing the trip this summer with my family. Except we will be taking the surface
    drive up and using the kaboat for our exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    When do you plan on coming up? Ive only made it up to second lake so far. Spent a weekend bear hunting/camping near the end of May. We were too early for the bears and the trip was more of a camping/scouting trip with a friend. Spent a day on little Togiak and I loved it so much, that I planned a trip to fifth lake to work my way back down to the landing with my dad. He blew his knee out, so we're waiting for him to heal up.
    There are plenty of bears in this area, and though incarry a handgun or shotgun or 45-70 with me out there, you would
    be done without one i believe. I know a group of teachers that did a kayak trip to third lake without a gun. They saw two bears though they were visited by one.
    I plan on doing the trip this summer with my family. Except we will be taking the surface
    drive up and using the kaboat for our exploring.
    Hello Yukon C, thanks for the reply... I was planning for Summer of 2018, work and circumstances may push it out to Summer 2019. I'm not a hunter, really, have nothing against it just been a cheechako for a long time. Went sheep hunting once in the Alaska Range, got nothing but cold and wet, but that was 40 years ago! Enjoy eating Moose, Bison, waterfowl, you name it... I've just been more of a consumer than a harvester. I lived up there for about ten years, went outside one Winter... met this girl... (she is a now-retired Art Teacher-ceramics) went to College... am a Tech Ed. Teacher... and here I am, about ready to retire. I gave my Wife the Nickel tour for a month this past Summer and she just loved it... finally understood my obsession! Anyway, she's an outdoorsy-positive type and not afraid to go camping, Kayaking, etc. This past summer we fished the Tangle lakes, the Kenai River around Coopers Landing and did a multi-specie charter out of Homer. Had a fantastic trip! 80lbs of fish in the freezer. We have firearms and are not afraid to use them. I carry frequently back here in New England but my "two-legged critter" arms are under sized for Alaska. Our thoughts were that she'd carry the bear spray, I'd carry the 45-70 and .44.am not as proficient with them as I should be and plan on working at the range a lot this winter. Did these Teachers go UP-stream to the third lake? What is the "surface drive up" that you're speaking of? Anyway, thanks for your discussions, it's all good, helps with my preparations.

I'm considering a soft-sided Kayak, a Folbot. How cautious do I need to be regarding critter-chewing? I always bring a patch kit, but it would be a bummer to wake up and find it shredded... That bear fence as a gear-pen looks like a darn good idea!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12