Thread: 98 Mauser magazine for .375 H&H

Default 98 Mauser magazine for .375 H&H

I picked up a new threaded and chambered douglas premium barrel in .375 H&H at the gun show Sunday for the Browning FN action I'd discussed in a previous thread. I've got a bolt so all I need now is a trigger guard / magazine long enough to handle the .375 H&H length case. It appears it would be a real lot of work to modify a standard guard assembly.

Any ideas on picking up a trigger guard / magazine assembly for this project? i don't want to sink too much money in it as this a budget / challenge project.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I would watch Gunbroker, I have seen some pretty nice hinged bottom metal from Interarms MKXs go for under a C note. Those will probably be the most common form of 375 length bottom metal for a 98.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I picked up a new threaded and chambered douglas premium barrel in .375 H&H at the gun show Sunday for the Browning FN action I'd discussed in a previous thread. I've got a bolt so all I need now is a trigger guard / magazine long enough to handle the .375 H&H length case. It appears it would be a real lot of work to modify a standard guard assembly.

Any ideas on picking up a trigger guard / magazine assembly for this project? i don't want to sink too much money in it as this a budget / challenge project.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Thanks but..

No luck with those guys.

I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thinking back on a .375 H&H from Fn, I remember the action to be a modified action for length. 1. there is a notch on the forward receiver bridge for the bullet nose. 2. the underside of the action bottom is cut away for the ctg length. As I look at a stripped FN deluxe action by my PC that is all I can remember being done to the FN for the long ctg from many years ago that I had to bed the stock for. I know that is not a project I would want to get into. I do know of a place that has bottom metal that would work for you, but it cost around 3 to 4 hundred bucks.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I picked up a Mk X H&H bottom metal about 6 months. It was like new and I think I may have paid a tad much for it ($150) but sometimes when the market is dry you pay what ya have to. GB and auction arms once in a while have them and I'm not gonna buy a top of the line piece for this project I'm eventually gonna get to.

Default Long action Browning

Al-

This particular action is from a Browning Safari which was of course made by FN. It has the Browning bolt release / ejector instead of the standard Mauser type.

Action is the standard length and the receiver will drop into a standard mauser stock. The trigger guard / magazine assembly wil of of course be longer in the front only; the rear was already maxed out.

I'm thinking of cutting off the magazine part of the trigger guard assembly and use a sheet metal assembly like Remington 700s, Mdel 70s, Weatherby Mk Vs and Sakos use as the easiest and least expensive option.

Another option is to just extend the magazine box above the bottom metal and use the standard floor plate and bottom portion. I could cut up an old guard to get the forward portion and weld or braze it to the old bottom metal.

I need to check some of my of Sharpe or Dunlap gunsmithing books and see what they suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Thinking back on a .375 H&H from Fn, I remember the action to be a modified action for length. 1. there is a notch on the forward receiver bridge for the bullet nose. 2. the underside of the action bottom is cut away for the ctg length. As I look at a stripped FN deluxe action by my PC that is all I can remember being done to the FN for the long ctg from many years ago that I had to bed the stock for. I know that is not a project I would want to get into. I do know of a place that has bottom metal that would work for you, but it cost around 3 to 4 hundred bucks.

What does Remington use on their 98 Zastava's in 375 HH? Their add says its solid steel with hinged floor plate and trigger guard. I am not sure about the length though.

Default Remington 798

Remington sold the 798 in .375 H&H but they no longer show any parts for sale for the 798 on their site. I've got to give them a call and see what they tell me about supporting the 798 with spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    What does Remington use on their 98 Zastava's in 375 HH? Their add says its solid steel with hinged floor plate and trigger guard. I am not sure about the length though.

I just looked on egunparts and saw a lengthened magazine/triggerguard.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

I called Remington about getting one to use for a custom build and they either don't have any or won't even sell them to one of their repair centers.

Default Link

Thanks -

Got a link for the part - I couldn't locate it.

I just looked on egunparts and saw a lengthened magazine/triggerguard.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Thanks -

Got a link for the part - I couldn't locate it.
    Here ya go:
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...70&catid=11950

Default Thanks but..

The military guard lengthened to 3 1/4" is for .30-06 length cases instead of the shorter 8x57. You need around 3 3/4' for the .375 H&H.

Default Here you go

Bottom metal made by Duane Wiebe... I got some for a 1917 and it is some of the best bottom metal yet and I think it is better than blackburn metal. www.soundmetalproducts.com

Default Thanks

Looks like some great stuff - I'll keep it in mind if I ever build a custom rifle and spend a load of money on it.

Ths project is going to be a low budget workable rifle only - I've got most of the parts very inexpensively so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Bottom metal made by Duane Wiebe... I got some for a 1917 and it is some of the best bottom metal yet and I think it is better than blackburn metal. www.soundmetalproducts.com