Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 106

Thread: Rossi new Director of Wildlife Conservation?

  1. #1
    Member Oak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    96

    Default Rossi new Director of Wildlife Conservation?


  2. #2
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Is he a member of SFW,,Sportsman for wealthy???

  3. #3
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Question Any Idea....

    Is it possible to make any predictions concerning Rossi new position and any anticipated suppport (or not) for the DNR Guide Concession Plan? Supportive? Non-supportive?Or...apples and oranges different?
    And is Rossi the Alaska connection to to SFW?
    dennis

  4. #4

    Wink

    It will take some time to undo the mess we are in, but he has the ability to correct all the wrongs, if we allow it. And.....NO he ain't gonna give us all a Blackeye...to preempt the naysayers.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default i was gonna start a college fund for my boy...

    but now i am going to have to make wise investments so that he can afford a sheep tag when he is ready to hunt them...
    the average "joe hunter" in AK just got hosed in a big way, and all the suckers who were so willing to bend over for SFW are about to find out that they aren't even gonna get a reach-around.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  6. #6
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default ADFG has been corrupted by politics

    This is just as Ralph Seekins and SFW planned, and what Ralph told folks last week at the Denny's lunch, to get Doug Larsen out and remove the last real hurdle at the upper level that was protecting biologists and managers from what Valkenburg and Rossi have been doing.

    There are some very bad things happening right now within the Division of Wildlife Conservation. We have already lost some key good staff. I fear we may lose more key people.

    What has happened is shameful really, and for Denby Lloyd to allow it is a travesty. Yes, I'm saying this publicly...Denby you have set back the Department and really hurt the credibility of DWC...to allow Rossi to speak for the Department in support of the snaring and helicopter use in Unit 16 that he helped craft as the Alaska SFW spokesperson, was wrong. To allow Pat to further push the reclassifying of interior grizzlies and for the Department to advocate to have the public snare bears outside a predator control plan...against the wishes of Region III managers and bios...is wrong.

    For Pat to advocate to put "shock collars" on biologists who don't agree with this new extremist agenda from on high...is wrong.

    And for the Department leadership to craft this new "shut them all up" policy whereby biologists must now run everything through command central before speaking to the public, and then reprimand or otherwise threaten to fire biologists from doing what they have always done (speak to the public, answer questions from the public)...is wrong.

    The sick thing about all this is that Seekins and Crowley and SFW aren't doing all this in secret. They are doing it all publicly for the most part, threatening bios and individuals like myself when we speak out, trying to get people fired or moved to other positions, trying to split Regions and insert new staff amenable to their agenda.

  7. #7

    Wink

    It might be time for some to take a deep breath and regain their composure. If we allow ourselves to be blinded by our emotions and knee jerk reactions to redirection, we will never achieve what we hope for. There are several folks on the state payroll, that need to get gone and bygum that is what is going to happen. Some will hang on for as long as they can, hoping to get their pension and others will simply fade away or join up with the radicals. Obviously we can't continue on down the same path that has proven it's self to be disasterous and wrong in every fashion. The resources are in a mess because of past practice. Time for new direction. Unless a person has a monetary stake in the old ways, they would welcome and embrace the New Deal. There are a lot of Loose Cannons in the Old Regieme and it is way past time to reign them in or cull them out. Proof Positive of just how the Good Ole Boys have done their job, is the way they knowingly let a known pack of wolves remain loose and running around, that eventually ended up killing a School Marm over at Chignik. Things need to change.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    I happen to personally know a few of the SFW folks here in the valley and it's the same old "Corrupt *******s Club" only this time it is our hunting heritage that is being sold...to themselves and their wealthy friends!

    Statewide bear snaring is a STUPID idea, for so many reasons, I dont even know where to start.


    Edit to add:

    Yea, Res, the "good ole boys" had a plan to keep that pack of wolves intact and covertly funneled them money and training to attack innocent hikers..that is just idiotic, to say the least.

  9. #9

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I happen to personally know a few of the SFW folks here in the valley and it's the same old "Corrupt *******s Club" only this time it is our hunting heritage that is being sold...to themselves and their wealthy friends!

    Statewide bear snaring is a STUPID idea, for so many reasons, I dont even know where to start.


    Edit to add:

    Yea, Res, the "good ole boys" had a plan to keep that pack of wolves intact and covertly funneled them money and training to attack innocent hikers..that is just idiotic, to say the least.
    To each their own, but what I find to be "idiotic" is:
    Doing nothing with the thousands of bears that are killing off the Moose and Caribou.
    Doing nothing with a known pack of wolves, that end up killing a School Marm.
    Doing nothing......
    Doing nothing......

    At least now there is hope that Something will be done.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,395

    Default

    So Res, if in fact the wolves did kill the teacher in Chignik, that is the fault of F&G management?

    As for "nothing" being done about bears and wolves, take a look at harvest stats. Many thousands of bears are killed statewide every year, as are many wolves. Whether it is "enough" is certainly up for discussion, but your contention that nothing is being done rings hollow.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    fishhook, ak
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    akres- you should take a hard look at your "wolves in sheep's clothing" mentality and think about where it might truly apply. your huffing and puffing is tiresome to me and I am very new to this forum. woolly fleece doesn't really suit you.



    i will be optimistic that the governor elected this fall will have a long-term approach and embark on a "wolf" extermination program within our state ranks.

  12. #12
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Well look on the bright side homer, if you invest wise enough and make lots and lots of money you and your boy can both have a Sheep tag every year..

    If not well i hope you like hunting bunnies and birds..

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,085

    Default I don't believe it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Proof Positive of just how the Good Ole Boys have done their job, is the way they knowingly let a known pack of wolves remain loose and running around, that eventually ended up killing a School Marm over at Chignik. Things need to change.
    Wow, that's a new low. First off, it is still speculation that this woman was killed by wolves. The autopsy isn't out yet. I'm not saying she was or wasn't. The coroner will decide that.

    But your willingness to jump the gun and point a finger at some loose collection of "Good Old Boys" as being responsible for her death, if she was indeed killed by wolves, makes one question your motives. Are you that desperate to see predators eradicated that you'd blame a person for something a wild animal did? Do you blame those "Good Old Boys" when someone runs into a moose with their car and dies or is injured? Heck, you want to pump up moose numbers through intensive management. Should we then blame you for every moose/car collision that happens? 50 to 100 people a year die from bee stings. Do you boycott honey and fruits that are pollinated by bees and rant about the "Good Old Boy" beekeepers? It looks more like you have selective outrage for whatever fits your agenda.

    Your blame game doesn't even make sense. Here's from an article about the incident.

    " Chignik Lake, with a population of roughly 100, is on the south side of the Alaska Peninsula 13 miles from Chignik and 474 miles southwest of Anchorage.

    Unlimited wolf trapping is permitted in the area from Oct. 1 to April 30. Hunting regulations allow 10 wolves per person per day from Aug. 10 to May 25, said Fish and Game spokeswoman Jennifer Yuhas.

    "These are regulations set by the Board of Game and the liberal allowance of harvest denotes (an) incentivized program to harvest wolves in that Unit," Yuhas wrote in an e-mail."

    OK first, it was the Board of Game that set the limits, the same board that allowed bear snaring and private aerial shooting of wolves, not any biologist for the State. Second, it's a very liberal set of limits, so if the people of Chignik Lake have been worried about wolf activity, They could have been out there doing something about it. Nobody was protecting this wolf pack.

    If this lady did indeed die from a wolf attack, it's a sad thing. But it is also a very rare thing. It would be sad however she died.

    If there are any "Good Old Boys" operating in Alaska, It's SFW and their crew trying, successfully apparently, to take over management of Alaskan game with their radical and unscientific approach.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Bushrat, Out of curiosity and to be better informed,

    What threats were made to you?
    Did you report them to the proper authorities?

  15. #15
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Dedwuf, wasn't threats on my life, just about ruining my way of life <grin>. Won't go into it more than that.

    There are some bad people in SFW doing some very mean, nasty, unethical things. They have a lot of money, and some political power. They use it very effectively to shut people up, oust them from positions. All this is just a reenactment of what went down in Utah.

    I really can't believe so many Alaskan hunters have been conned.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Bushrat, seems like that would be hard to do (ruin your way of life) sence your
    in remote AK.
    Myself if someone was doing that to me, and I was to post it on the forum, I'd
    certainly want the members to know the details. thats just me though.
    I've had my telephone 'wired' more than once, because of 'unwanted' callers.

  17. #17

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    So Res, if in fact the wolves did kill the teacher in Chignik, that is the fault of F&G management?

    As for "nothing" being done about bears and wolves, take a look at harvest stats. Many thousands of bears are killed statewide every year, as are many wolves. Whether it is "enough" is certainly up for discussion, but your contention that nothing is being done rings hollow.
    So Brian,
    Yes. The local bio knew their packs boundries and numbers. You can take that to the bank. They should have been erradicated when detected. She would still be alive had this taken place. They didn't, so yes the blame is fixed on the one's that had the knowledge and ability to make a difference and failed to act.

    I digress...Too Little would be a better choice of terms if we want to be absolute. However, I use the term "nothing" loosely when talking about things like sex offenders, murderers, rapists, bears and wolves with respect to how we have collectively dealt with them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,085

    Default shaking my head

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    So Brian,
    Yes. The local bio knew their packs boundries and numbers. You can take that to the bank. They should have been erradicated when detected. She would still be alive had this taken place. They didn't, so yes the blame is fixed on the one's that had the knowledge and ability to make a difference and failed to act.
    You continue to amaze me. When it comes to moose, you tell us that the bio's know nothing and any info coming from them needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Now you tell us we can "take it to the bank" that the bio who handles the Chignik area knows the pack boundaries and numbers. And that the wolves in the area should have been eradicated. Exactly why pray tell should they have been eradicated? Is it just the Chignik pack that should be eradicated when detected? Or should all wolves be eradicated when detected?

    The blame should be fixed on the ones that had the knowledge and the ability to make a difference and failed to act? So the residents of the area should be blamed? They knew the pack was in the area. They had the right and ability to kill 10 wolves a day by hunting, and unlimited numbers by trapping. Yet they did nothing.

    PS Even if the bio knew the pack was there, it's not his job to kill them.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

  19. #19
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    like sex offenders, murderers, rapists, bears and wolves
    Since twodux addressed the first part, I felt obligated to point out that since you lump rapists and wolves together (with a wink..) I am assuming that something bad happened to you in the forest that shouldnt be discussed in this forum..maybe the best avenue is to sue the pack for reparations...you know, like the catholic church.

  20. #20
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Wink whoa, this is some funny stuff

    somebody here is a couple beers short of a six-pack, for sure...
    (and that's a 33% shortfall)
    just sayin'...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •