Thread: Alpenglow at Arctic Valley

Default Alpenglow at Arctic Valley

Snow is here!! and Alpenglow is OPEN! Last weekend was simply awesome! (12/30 and 31) and this weekend looks to be even better. This is Alaska's Best Kept Secret and I'm letting you all in on it. The main lift is a HUGE T bar and palmalift (either be drug up the mountain by a T bar with 2 riders or a round pad attached to a bar that you put between your legs and it pulls you up), but half day starts at 1 and that is when the 2 chair lifts are usually running. This helps spread out the riders and keeps some fresh runs availbable all day. I was doing fresh turns in knee deep snow on sunday at 4pm when the lifts closed. Not as many people go there as go to Alyeska, so pressue is less and the snow lasts longer. It isn't groomed so it is very similar to backcountry skiing. I'd say it is similar to the top portion at Alyeska but not as steep. Given the variable snow I'd say it's harder than alyeska though.
    There is a NEW webpage for the resort so check out the countries ONLY volunteer run ski resort!!
    Here is the link..... http://www.skialpenglow.com/?q=home

Default It's SNOWING!!

Yep snow is in the air and falling. This makes me very, very happy!! Why? Well Alpenglow at Arctic Valley is ONLY open Sat and sunday. That means all the snow that falls between now and sat will be waiting for me!! Ahhhhh fresh tracks. Can't beat that with a stick.