Thread: Haul Road Caribou

Default Haul Road Caribou

Thinking of going up the haul road in two weeks to get some caribou. was wondering if any one had any suggestions for this area? Not asking for honey holes but really what i should be expecting. Its my first hunt up there and we are planning on using the snowmachines to get past the 5mile part unless one of us can come up with a bow. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers, it would be appreciated.

check your PMs

Read the hunting regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    we are planning on using the snowmachines to get past the 5mile part
    This is illegal.

Not only is snowmachining from within the corridor illegal, you will also need a Bowhunter Ed card if you plan to use a bow.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Its my first hunt up there and we are planning on using the snowmachines to get past the 5mile part unless one of us can come up with a bow. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers, it would be appreciated.
    As someone else already pointed out, using snowmachines is illegal up there. I wanted to add that "coming up with a bow" isn't an option either, as if you don't already have one, you're probably not certified to hunt in a bow-only area. To legally bowhunt in the 5 mile corridor, you have to have passed a shooting proficiency test and have the card to prove it.

Realistically, it looks like your only option would be to ski out the 5 miles. It's been done, but you'd better have good winter survival gear and know how to use it.

Default Illegal????

Ok thanks guys for the info. I suppose i was reading the DHCMA wrong. I was under the impression that you could use a snowmachine to go past the 5 mile corridor. As it states in the DHCMA:

A snowmachine may be used to transport hunters, there hunting gear, or parts of game across the management area from land outside the managment area to access land on the other side of the managment area.

Confusing to me, so i thank you all alot for saving me from getting in trouble. I was already aware of the bow certification as that wouldnt not have been a problem, the only problem was the missing bow.

A snowmachine may be used to transport hunters, there hunting gear, or parts of game across the management area from land outside the managment area to access land on the other side of the managment area.
    What that means is that you can traverse the 5 mile corridor if you start outside the corridor and are driving to the other side. It is a rarely used exception that, to the best of my understanding, is designed specifically for the handful of villages up there. So if you start on a snowmachine on the west side of the corridor, you can cross the corridor to the east...but you cannot start from inside the corridor and drive out. Clear as mud?

Default Thanks

Well thanks everybody, i guess i have to find other options or wait till spring bear season for some meat. I appreciate everything.

Happy outdoors

Default Know the law

and be careful. Heard of a couple guys up there last weekend that did most everything wrong.
    Can be a dangerous place if unprepared and I would guess that in most places up there if someone is watching you from the road, and you shoot a caribou with a rifle, you are probably not the required 5 miles.
    My advise is to just double check the regs and then somehow try to visualize how grueling it is actually going to be to trek in 5 plus miles and drag/carry you and your game back out.
    Good luck.

Default knowing the law

I always try to know the law, thats one of the reasons why i started asking questions because it was unclear to me and obvously i read the law wrong so i thank you guys for putting me in the right direction. I would have found out tommorow because i was going to fish and game anyways. Trust me i dont wont to get in trouble and loose the awsome privilage to hunt in this state.

joebut,

assuming you have your IBEP card, I'd start glassing at Galbraith Airport. You could see caribou in the chain-up area on the north side of Atigun (or anywhere from Finger Mountain northward) but the safe bet is Galbraith to Kuparuk River. Caribou overwinter in the upper Kuparuk uplands.

They're there but not necessarily visible from the road when you show up.

Bring a compass. Ice fog can persist for days up there. Batteries fail, LCDs freeze. Mr Murphy honors simplicity.

I second what Erik said about the caribou not being visible right away. In October we pulled into a truck stop just north of Toolik lake and sat there glassing while making coffee. About a half hour went by and then all of the sudden there were 30 or so caribou cresting the hill right in front of us. Was pretty cool to see.
    Anyway point being glass for a while and you may find em where you didn't see em ten minutes ago.

Joebut,
    When you get set up to go up the haul rd. check out this thread. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=35107 This is the thread for the haul road report.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine