Thread: Kodiak spring bear results

Default Kodiak spring bear results

Just looked at the drawing results for the 2010 Spring Kodiak hunts and found it ironic that of the 53 permits listed only 5 were Alaska Residents.
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/permi...iak_unit23.pdf

Post Random...

Organized "random" drawing to favor the economic value of out of staters I believe is at play...I'm sure numbers would show that there are more non-residents putting in for those hunts but not to the point of these drawing numbers...Bull elk hunts in some units in Arizona were having similar results for some draws...those were due to trophy units being saturated by Outfitters/Guides putting in for clients...AZ nipped that in the butt by limiting the percentage of nonresidents that got drawn...Outfitters/Guides didn't like it much...I felt it made sense, a perk of being a resident I say...

AZinAK

I think this is because most spring 2010 resident hunt were drawn in the previous draw. I know what I applied for in December was spring 2011 kodiak hunts. All because ADF&G changed the draw time frame yet again.

All the hunts listed for is drawing are non-resident hunts, check the supplement. Of course more non residents applied, they are all n on resident hunts with a registered guide. Evidently the four from Alaska have not yet met residency requirments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    All the hunts listed for is drawing are non-resident hunts, check the supplement. Of course more non residents applied, they are all n on resident hunts with a registered guide. Evidently the four from Alaska have not yet met residency requirments.
    That would make more sense - the title of the list threw me off - it says nothing about Non Resident or Resident it simply reads "The Spring 2010 Kodiak & Unit 23 Brown Bear Winners List is now available. (PDF file 12 K)" That added to the fact therew was a few Alaska addresses.

Thanks for the clarification

I still find it disgusting that an Alaskan resident can put in for 10 years to draw a Kodiak bear hunt and not get it, but each and every year 50 or so non-residents do get it. Just a reminder why I plan on leaving state this year, man things are really back asswards up here anymore!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I still find it disgusting that an Alaskan resident can put in for 10 years to draw a Kodiak bear hunt and not get it, but each and every year 50 or so non-residents do get it. Just a reminder why I plan on leaving state this year, man things are really back asswards up here anymore!!
    Ha! Just wait until you get to the lower 48. Just do us all a favor and talk Alaska down so people don't show up with you when you return.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ha! Just wait until you get to the lower 48. Just do us all a favor and talk Alaska down so people don't show up with you when you return.

Dont worry I will!

Default Eliminating non-residents - a quick look at the numbers

1. Resident spring 2010 Kodiak bear permits were awarded during the spring 2009 draw.
    2. From the 2010 supp, for Kodiak bear, roughly 286 people competed for 134 non-resident permits in 2009 - about 47% chance of being drawn.
    3. From the 2010 supp, for Kodiak bear, roughly 3983 people applied for 321 resident permits in 2009 - about 8.06% chance of being drawn.
    4. Assuming a) the state allocated all Kodiak bear permits to only residents and b) and this additional allotment of permits did NOT result in more resident applicants i.e. the only same number apply again (big assumption), the chance of being drawn as a resident only goes up to 11.4%. But in reality, more permits would likely mean more applicants, so the draw rate would possibly even be worse than it is now. Furthermore, this is just looking at the permit numbers as a whole. If you wanted to more accurate about it, we would do a weighted analysis by permit because since you can only apply for 3 permits/species so people weight their efforts towards specific areas. Some Kodiak areas have a very low draw percentages and eliminating the non resident allocation would hardly make a difference, just as 5-10 more Delta Bison tags wouldn't matter either.
    5. Resources are supposed to be managed for the benefit all Alaskans. 134 people x $15000-20000/trip going into the economy benefits a lot of Alaskans. A resident hunter can easily hunt Kodiak for between $2-3K/trip or less. So even though resident Alaskan Kodiak bear hunters enjoy a 2.4/1 permit ratio over non-residents, as whole they put less money into the economy with their bear hunts. Don't have time to review the hunt reports, but I suspect non-residents also have a higher "DID HUNT" percentage as well.
    6. All in all this probably a fair trade - the state allows a small percentage swing in draw selection rates to allow for economic opportunity/impact, while still providing for resident hunters and managing the bear population. And to head off the "its all about money" counter arguments - a) everything in life is, to some extent, b) if it was "only" about money, everyone would be required to have a guide to the max extent possible, while still meeting pop management goals, or the bear lock tag fee would be higher for residents, or both.
    7. For residents - draw success and harvest success are not synonymous - non guided Kodiak bear harvest is less than 50% - again, depends on the area.

Default price of resident hunts

I feel you have underestimated the price of a resident going to kodiak to hunt Bear, I spent about 5 grand without buying much new gear, Ak ferry tickets, hotel rooms, air charter meals in kodiak and supplies add up quickly. Also putting in for who can remember how many years without getting drawn. I also am waiting for a rug back from a local taxidermist so a few more bucks when that is finished. When can I put in again !!!!

Default Kodiak Costs...

Tags and license are every year regardless...
    Gear is bought and paid for, begged, borrowed or stole...

Ferry ticket for ford explorer plus driver $179.
    1500 lbs of gear Air taxi out $1500-2500. (depending on distance)

Kodiak Spring Bear hunt with your dad and brother... PRICELESS...

Yes - Resident hunters can hunt Kodiak fairly inexpensive.

One thing to consideer in all of these statisstics is that to apply for a Kodiak bear hunt, a non-resident must have a signed guide-client agreement. Most guides are not going to sign agreements that will result in having more hunters then they can possibly handle. (of course a coupe MIGHT). That's the major reason the non resident drawing success is so high. Although I could never afford it, I would love to have a guided hunt over there, the guides know the area better than I ever could, making it a higher chance of success.
    I do agree with WinMag!!!