Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long of a drive - Anchorage to Haul Road Caribou?

Default How long of a drive - Anchorage to Haul Road Caribou?

How long does it take one to drive all the way up from anchorage to hunt Caribou on the Haul road?

18 to 20 hours......

From Anchorage to cold foot you can do it in 12 hours.
    Anigun pass from cold foot about 2 hours.
    from there to Dead horse the end of the road a couple hours. almost 300 miles.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Does one need to go to Deadhorse? How far do you typically have to go to get into Caribou? I'm moving to Anchorage in May, never been up there before so just trying to get a feel for what kind of distance I'm in for. I'd like to try and do a bow hunt in late July or August. And yes I'm getting my bow hunter ed certification.

I guess I am a slow driver; too much road hunting or sight seeing. .

Mossyhorn; I would recommend doing a search in the forum on the haul road archery hunts. There's a lot of information within the forum.
    You do not need to go all the way to Deadhorse; anywhere within the Dalton archery corridor (north of the Yukon river to Deadhorse) there could be caribou; they will be moving around.

july and aug I'd be focusing more on the north side though...

The problem with caribou is they are where they are and that can change in a hurry. You'll never see an animal walk faster then a caribou, no not even elk. (dont forget that when you are shooting at one LOL).

You COULD get into caribou in july or aug just north of the pass...likely they'll be up by slope mt or franklin bluffs, which is another 2 or 3 hours north of the pass depending on road conditions, maybe less, maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    How long does it take one to drive all the way up from anchorage to hunt Caribou on the Haul road?
    I leave from Wasilla which is 45min-hour (+/-) north of Anch. If I'm getting with it, 15 hours is doable to Deadhorse. If just moseying along, taking in the sights and all that, about 17-18 hours. If you plan on getting fuel beyond Fairbanks, it'll most likely be at the Yukon river bridge, Coldfoot, and Deadhorse. Bring a couple of 5 gallon fuel cans with you and you'll be alright. It's 200miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse. Most road speeds (depending on rain/mud and/or construction) will be about 35-45. A few paved spots will be faster. Not alot ammenities along the way.
    Have done the hunt over a dozen times, have only seen 6 caribou south of the Brooks during those hunts, all of which were in Aug. But, always be ready and keep looking once past the Yukon river, you never know. Odds are that you'll start seeing them once over the pass and down into the foothills, but again, maybe not. They have a nasty habit of moving without telling you. Good luck.
    Last edited by swampdonkey; 03-09-2010 at 15:52. Reason: content

Wink

Baby steps, bud, baby steps.

Take it one step at a time. Plenty of time once you get here.

Taylor

Default yukon

a bit off topic - but would it be possible to run up the Yukon a bit to camp and hunt off it rather than just hunt the corridor? Would a zodiac make it?

When you guys go up how many spare tires do you take? Plug kits? Is the road very bad as far as flats go?

but would it be possible to run up the Yukon a bit to camp and hunt off it rather than just hunt the corridor?
    Nope. No caribou in that area.

Three trips to the Haul Rd and the only flat I got was with an F150 with half bald tires. My 3/4 ton and E rated tires hasn't gotten a flat in two trips. I still carry two spares, a plug kit (high quality professional one) and a 12volt tire pump.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks guys for the info. I've done a bunch of searches through the forums for quite some time now trying to learn what I can.

Every fall I hunt elk and deer in Oregon, last year I spent 21 days chasing elk, mostly solo. This time of year I get to itching pretty bad to go hunting, looking forward to the fall. With the uncertainty of what to do this fall, knowing I probably won't get to hunt elk at home, I'm trying to figure out what I can do. I'm really excited to chase anything and it really is just a short ways a away.

Sitting here dreaming, researching, and strategizing is all I can do right now to satisfy the itch I've got.

Thanks for indulging me!

Riley

I live 150 miles south of Anchorage. i figure two days travel. try to make it to Yukon river first night. then drive in daylight thru the archery only area...esp first trip to see the sights. i like to look for bears and sheep.
    anc- fbks 360 miles, 60-65 mph
    1-2 hrs in fbnks for fuel, last minutes forgotten items and food, any more i usually eat at hilltop truck stop- ? 20-25 miles north of fbnks
    fbnks to coldfoot 240 miles
    1 hr there for food and fuel ( get there before 5pm unless you want to spend $18-19 for the tourist buffet) good greasy burgers and bkft
    coldfoot to deadhorse 240 miles
    reasonable speed once you hit the haul road is 45-50 ( no reason to tear up your vehicle)

BULELKKILER- zodiac would be fine for the Yukon, The guy i sold my 22 foot c-dory took it down river to Koyukuk another friend use to take his 24 foot bowpicker down there as well. As stated ....NO 'bou moose probably scarce. unless you get off river
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

boy flats...5 trips you get one, the next trip you get 5...gotta love it! Definatly dont go without a good plug kit (northern power sells the good ones, not the cheap plastic handled napa ones), and a way to fill'm back up.

Another good one for fuel, we used to carry gas cans till I picked up a super syphon (replace the hose with a cold weather hose at alaska rubber), and a 35 gallon poly in the bed. I havent done the trip since I've gotten a camper on my truck, without one it is snaztastic! No holding on to gas cans no spillage nothing. THe cold weather rubber doesnt turn to glass like the regular hose does that comes with it.

Get water at liven good and bring a filter.

This isnt a trip I'd do alone, fog is the biggy! Though I have and likely will do it alone again here soon. If you make a mistake here, you'll be hiking a LONG LONG LONG time!

Beware of trucks. If you see a truck behind you move over let him by.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Beware of trucks. If you see a truck behind you move over let him by.
    Yah, they own the road and it's primarily for them and they know it. Be courteous, don't ride their butts, don't crowd 'em, and don't high beam them, then you should be alright. I watched an F350 get absolutely thrashed because of their impatience with the truckers. Out of six windows, they had 2 left, a hole in their grill and a missing headlight for their drive back to Valdez. You can't outrun thier radios and they will rock the living @#*$ out of your rig if you're one of them types of drivers. It's ugly dude! Gotta play nice nice with them...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Yah, they own the road and it's primarily for them and they know it. Be courteous, don't ride their butts, don't crowd 'em, and don't high beam them, then you should be alright. I watched an F350 get absolutely thrashed because of their impatience with the truckers. Out of six windows, they had 2 left, a hole in their grill and a missing headlight for their drive back to Valdez. You can't outrun thier radios and they will rock the living @#*$ out of your rig if you're one of them types of drivers. It's ugly dude! Gotta play nice nice with them...

And on that note "You can't outrun their radios"...Get a CB!!! They're cheap and easy to install. They apreciate it when they can tell you theres a wide load coming or tell you theyre coming up behind you so move it on over.

Another bennifit; I have had them give me great information on where they been seeing animals. Twice I capitolized because of nice truckers saying "Hey there north bound 4 wheeler, you might want to get up to ice cut" (or something along these lines). Now I would NOT recomend asking, that might annoy them, if they want to talk to you they will when they see that antenna on your rig.

I went up there once (my first time) without and I never will again. I travel that road at least three times a year for the last six going on seven years and that radio has come in handy every time.

Hope that helps with your packing list
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Everytime I've been up there I've used my CB. The truckers appreciate being able to talk to you and like already said, it is their road. They can't stop as fast as you and they won't. I make every effort to get out of there way and be courtious. Sometimes they will even help you out on the CB!!
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

What CB channel(s) do they use?

Channel 19 is the norm, if a flag truck or grader or big rig need to tell you something it will be on 19.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

channel 19, there is a sign before going through Atigun that tells truckers to call ahead before proceeding, which is a good idea. Atigun can be a bit tricky at times.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast