Thread: Klutina lake scare

Default Klutina lake scare

Well this hunting story all started at work.My brother was remodeling his new house when the plumber he hired over heard us talking about the upcoming spring bear hunts we were planing.
    I can tell you that day was very unproductive,when you get a old time Alaskan telling story's of his past,If your smart you will listen.He told us of his old moose hunting spot up at Klutina lake.He said there were bears every were.
    He wast last there fishing for reds the year before,and seen both black and grizz every were.He offered if we could make it there {he never went in the spring}we could use his two boats on the lake.
    After all the recent pressure on the road system,we chose to take this hunt as the first of the year.The next three months we stared at every map we could of the area and had a good game plan.We chose to stay around cranberry mountain for base camp.
    wess,duke jake and me loaded up fourwheelers and headed to coppercenter.Finally got to parking spot and road the 27 miles to the lake,thank god we brought the chains,It was wet and nasty.On the ride in we seen no fresh growth and thought we might be to early.
    Finally found the boats loaded up and headed to camp.Just got there before sundown,sleep came easy that night.Wess and Jake went one way and me and brother the other the next morning.we spent all day glassing the surrounding area and after eyeballs starting to hurt, I talked my brother into parking and checking for some sign.
    We were following the bank and came upon a dry creek bed that headed up to the mountain.We were walking up talking about if the old timer was full of it.Just then here comes the first scare......
    I am hard of hearing but am very alert.I seen my brother throw up hand to shut up and stop. we stood there and I could not hear but brother was pointing to the brush.All of the sudden i heard something running breaking brush,It sounded like it was coming straight at us.
    We stood there waiting for the worst,when just as fast as It started it stooped.Let me tell you, It took a little talking into but we went to investigate.We came upon a tore up section of woods and there was a big pile of dirt and sticks.I never seen such a thing and started to dig around,Here is the second scare.....
    There was a whole cow moose in a imposable position,with her whole nose bite off!!!after looking around seen a set of really big bear tracks and both thanked god he ran the other way!It was about dark and we hurried to tell wess and Jake of the find.
    We first asked them about there day.They replied they spent all day glassing and seen nothing,also walked around a bit and seen no fresh greens anywere.They asked us about or day and told of the find and the would not believe us.
    The next day we arrived to the spot wright at sun up.stalked in to the spot and nothing.We uncovered it the day before and seen it was covered up again.Now the believed us.We felt he was watching us.
    The next four days we all checked the spot morning and evening,Glassed all day around the lake and seen nothing.we were beginning to thank we blew the only chance.On the last hunting day,after a no bear spotting on the morning hunt Jake said he was going to stay and do some camp chores.
    We packed up and headed to the kill site.We walked up there again and nothing,we were thinking he was a old and smart bear and was out of this place knowing we were after him.we headed to the boat with nothing once again.
    For some reason I took on last look through binos and instantly seen a grizz.He was above the creek bed on the hill and after ranging him picked a spot were we think he will be in range.We quickly went up creek bed and got to spot were we thought he was going to be.We couldn't see him at the y in the creek were we thought he would be,thought he slipped us again.
    Well duke and wess went right I went left,I was walking slowly when I spotted him at 30yrds.I almost started yelling at wess and duke but looking through my scope set on three power, I felt confident on the facing on shot.I held for between the eyes,I don't know because of the short yards,my first shot hit low in the neck.
    The bear fell on his rear,then started to run circles back wards at full speed while roaring!!!I unloaded last two shots in the chest to no avail.Wess finally showed up wide eyed{this was first bear hunt}I said shoot!shoot!He got a good hit and changed his direction up the creek.Finally my brother showed up with the bear gun [470 nitro express]And got a solid shoulder shot.The poor thing reared up like a horse from the impact of the heavy slug.He still managed to take a few steps before tripping over a log.After coming down off the rush they made me poke it.Thats when we realized just how big he was.These are mountain grizz, and I know the have fish here but he is big!!!
    It only lasted 60 seconds and I know this is a rare event but that bears vitals were completely demolished,from five hits with heavy calibers,and still caused quit a scare.If he wanted to he could have tore us up!
    After collecting are selfs we realized no one had a skinning knife,our flash light and it was about dark,so we headed to camp in a hurry.Jake was standing on the shore holding His .300 he heard the shooting and i think he wanted to shoot us,I never seen him so mad.
    Well after the headlamp skinning,all we had to flip him, we skinned out and to measured him a 9'9"The carry out in dark through the thickest alder and willow you could we made it to camp and fell right to sleep.We woke up in the morning and I had to get out of sleeping bag and make sure we really had him rolled up under that pine.the next day made it to the truck and started long drive home....

Bear back at home {forgot camera}

I know good storys have good pictures but I forgot camera at home that trip,I only wrote the story because of a request of kodiakrain,so I hope hope you all enjoy

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us Kotton that is one huge interior grizzly! Sounds like you all had some not so comfortable experiences on that trip and learned just how much a bear can take. They are some amazing creatures thats for sure.

Nice job on whacking a moose eater. Go get a couple more!
    BK

Great story, congrats on the bear. Always fun to get the blood pumping like this, isn't it?

Thumbs up

Good Bear, for sure.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~