Thread: To tunnel or not to tunnel

Default To tunnel or not to tunnel

As is obvious by my other posts, I'm getting a Jon boat. What are the pros/cons of getting one with a tunnel (running with a prop but may upgrade to a Jet later).?

a tunnel for a prop and one for a jet are two different things and dont work well for the other. jet tunnel is smaller. so if you must get one get the jet tunnel so you can use it when you change over. but it would be smart just to make up your mind early on.

With a tunnel jet, the foot sits slightly higher thus protecting it a bit more. (In theory)
    A properly built tunnel/boat setup will run some pretty skinny stuff, like the Wooldridge's.
    Good luck.
    BK

Default Good question

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    As is obvious by my other posts, I'm getting a Jon boat. What are the pros/cons of getting one with a tunnel (running with a prop but may upgrade to a Jet later).?

I used to have a 16' Roughneck tunnel hull with a 90 hp jet. It always felt like I was sitting on a hill when I wasn't running. The tunnel (especially a big one) takes away alot of bouyancy. The additional weight of the larger motor didn't help either. If I was to do it all over again, I would go for a flat bottom with as small of a tunnel as possible and maybe no tunnel. Even with the 90 hp jet, I felt was I was underpowered in certain situations. Minimize the weight in the boat as much as possible (it is hard to do), go with a smaller outboard and do without the tunnel.