Thread: Boat length and speed

Default Boat length and speed

I know that a longer boat will have a higher hull speed when not on step. Is the same true for two boats on step... all else being equal (load, outboard HP etc.)?

I was talking to a boat salesman, I was looking at a 14' boat and he is steering me toward the 16' model (same beam) because he says that my motor will push the longer boat a little faster. This makes sense to me when running "off step" but I have a feeling that my already slightly underpowered motor for the 14' boat will have an even harder time getting the longer (heavier) boat on step. Does this make sense?

buy the boat you want and the motor to match it. sell what you dont need. or you never are going to be happy with the combo of mixed matched parts. and will spend more time and money trying to make it work which it never will.

A longer hull should be an advantage, all else being equal. You will have more planing surface and a larger footprint on the water to spread out your weight.
    BUT, don't think you can load more crap in it just cause you have gained two more feet in boat length. You will instead appreciate how much quicker it jumps up on step plus it will stay on plane at lower RPM's thus saving wear/tear on the motor.
    I'd go w/the longer boat if the bottom's are the same width.
    That being said, DO NOT UNDERPWER either option as you will regret it.
    BK

The longer hull will plane easier and quicker as well as attain a higher speed. Long and narrow is the fastest hull design, sailors figured that out thousands of years ago.