Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead flies for SE in early May? Never seen a steelhead or SE Alaska.

Default Steelhead flies for SE in early May? Never seen a steelhead or SE Alaska.

Rented a cabin on the Karta River (POW) for the first of May. Steelhead is the goal, but some cutthroat would not offend me in the slightest as I have never caught either. Wondering if anyone would share insights on flies for these species. Thanks for any thoughts.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

don't know about the cutts but i've my favorite flies for steelhead no matter location for fall or spring are pretty similar.

Number one is a glo bug in a variety of all the natural colors. Also have had great luck with a baby blue glo bug or a mulit color (aka jerry garcia or dennis rodman) Honestly if i had nothing but glo bugs and beads i'd be confident anywhere in alaska at anytime for steelhead

Also have had great luck with articulated bunny flies in natural and flesh colors, small wooly buggers and intruders

Dan: You never seen a steelhead?

That's those bright chrome fish that'll tease you for a bit, smacking your fly while you keep missing the hit. Keep at it and you will accidentally hook in to one. If you are using a knuckle buster reel you will hang on while it heads for salt water while the crank is bloodying your knuckles. If you aren't able to slow him down or turn him around your line about that time will "TWING." You be standing in the creek going, WHAT HAPPENED! You will then excitedly tie on an other fly and start the process all over again........That is steelhead fishing.

In the spring I like dark leech flies, black, purple.

Have fun.

kingfisherktn

exactly what kodiak and kingfisher said:

I believe the rodman and garcia are also called "clown eggs", correct me if I'm wrong about this....

I'd throw in a few smolt type patterns too. Clousers or thunder creeks.

Maybe a couple polar shrimp too.
    Nice Marmot.

I agree with everything said so far... bring some glo-bugs in natural and not-so-natural colors, bring some leeches, and bring some smolt patterns for cutthroats. Also, bring a few medium to big stonefly nymphs - black or dark brown - for steel and cuts. And bring those woolly buggers you're always going on about. Black and chartreuse (e.g. the green butt skunk) are almost always a good bet.

I don't know if you can get your hands on the February issue of Fish Alaska, but there an article on spring steelhead on the Situk and flyfishing the Thorne River on POW. Something to get you a little more jazzed for your trip.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default some more

Don't forget your Eggsucking Leech (purple / orange or black / green is the #1 Steelhead fly period)

and some Hackle's ... sometimes the off colored ones like a Purple Hackle will pick up fish ...

Oh and the Skykomish Sunrise .... for a variety ...

Default here is what i am picking up

Dan,

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

I am picking up this which includes any number of the flies mentioned above. I will also be picking up some large 10-12 mm steelhead glow beads that have been recommended to me.

As most have said glow bugs are regarded as killer. Suspend them under the 1'' thingamabobbers for an effective presentation.

Last year on a steelhead trip we were having good success with a smaller nymph or ESL fished with a dropper glowbug. At one point I hooked a steelie on the glowbug and a native rainbow on the nymph simultaneously. I landed them both, it was one of the coolest fishing experiences I've ever had. That poor little rainbow didn't know what hit him while he was being drug around by an 8 lb steelhead.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    At one point I hooked a steelie on the glowbug and a native rainbow on the nymph simultaneously. I landed them both, it was one of the coolest fishing experiences I've ever had. That poor little rainbow didn't know what hit him while he was being drug around by an 8 lb steelhead.

Matt
    Now that is pretty cool.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default the 2 most fished flies on POW Island

The most famous fly in Alaska and rightfully so. The Black Egg Sucking Leech is particularly deadly on Steelhead.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

There are times when the green egg makes all the difference. A small twist on an old classic.

Default how are you fishing those ESL?

Muskeg,

Are you dead drifting those under an indicator of swinging them with a sink tip or split shot? Just wondering what you have found to be the most productive.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    swinging them with a sink tip
    You have to get things down where the Steelhead hang. Sometimes bounce it off their nose.

Spot and Stalk fishing at it's finest, in the clear water systems. Sneak and Peak along the bank ... I've even been known to use binos.

Steelhead will hit anything, seriously. That being said I love ESLs, battle creeks, franks flies, sparkle shrimp, and large stonefly nymphs for small water.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Dan:

Do yourself a major favor and spend $40 at Amazon on Dec Hogan's A Passion For Steehead

Way beyond which flies... I found the chapters on presentation, take, and line set MOST helpful.

It's worth a hundred bucks.

L

Gonna take one of your Ally canoe(s)? I betcha you'd enjoy it. If so, explore the shoreline, look for cruising cutts and Dollies (smolt patterns, period). A nice diversion, especially if the steelhead fishing is sketchy.

River's rocky. Take plenty of gear to prepare for snags.

Call Alaskaflyfishinggoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I don't know if you can get your hands on the February issue of Fish Alaska, but there an article on spring steelhead on the Situk and flyfishing the Thorne River on POW. Something to get you a little more jazzed for your trip.
    Dang it man, thanks!! It was in a pile on the coffee table. When I read through the mag, I had no idea I was going to POW. Just started planning this trip in the last 48 hours. Thanks for reminding me of that.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post

If you are using a knuckle buster reel you will hang on while it heads for salt water while the crank is bloodying your knuckles. If you aren't able to slow him down or turn him around your line about that time will "TWING." You be standing in the creek going, WHAT HAPPENED! You will then excitedly tie on an other fly and start the process all over again........That is steelhead fishing.

That is exactly what I am hoping for

Thanks for all the help earlier.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Don't forget your Eggsucking Leech..
    Will do man, thanks. That is the only fly I already have. Ha ha.. Although I will need to pick up some chartreuse headed black ones. Got some shopping to do

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Dan:

Do yourself a major favor and spend $40 at Amazon on Dec Hogan's A Passion For Steehead

Done. Thanks man. I am starving for info.

Any other suggestions on books or back issues of mags like Fish Alaska, Salmon Trout Steelheader, NW Flyfishing, etc.. let me know. I am pretty clueless on steelhead fishing and have 7 weeks to figure it out. The wife is new to flyfishing so I am preparing her as well. Point being, more info is better than less.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post
    Gonna take one of your Ally canoe(s)? I betcha you'd enjoy it. If so, explore the shoreline, look for cruising cutts and Dollies (smolt patterns, period). A nice diversion, especially if the steelhead fishing is sketchy.

River's rocky. Take plenty of gear to prepare for snags.

Call Alaskaflyfishinggoods.

Ha ha ha

You know me well...

Emailed the bush pilot wondering about what use I could get from the Ally on this trip. If any tidal fishing near the river's terminus is an option, the Ally would be quite handy. 10-4 on the smolts. Got a bunch of small clousers and decievers that were bought for blues and stripers here on Nantucket. Figure they would work well in the salt on POW as well.

As for Alaskaflyfishinggoods, I emailed Brad this morning

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast