Thread: Carry laws

Default Carry laws

I saw this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law..._note-akref1-4 and it says something interesting:

Some city ordinances do not permit concealed carry without a concealed carry license, but these have been invalidated by the recent state preemption statute.[5]

I read the other posts/arguments about it. Did anyone ever get concrete on it? Is APD and the AST acting in accordance with it?

Just curious. The reading here got fast and furious and I don't feel warm and fuzzy about it. I know I can't take them to work. One would think that they'd like everyone armed at work. That'd pretty much put a quick end to any disgruntled employee going on a free-for-all eh?

Anchorage went along willingly and is no problem at all. Palmer kicked quite a bit but is also complying now. The State law overrides the local laws and if you do happen to find a cop that gives you grief just comply and go see the DA or judge on the matter and they will educate the cop about the matter. I doubt there are any cops still out there that don't know that the town ordinances were superseded in the State law by now. Donít forget to immediately tell them you have it and let them secure it if they want.

The law as explained by the State.

The law as written
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

RMK

Default The danger of relying on Wikipedia

That Wikipedia information is out of date.

You no longer need a permit to carry concealed in Alaska. I can't believe any cop was not aware of the state law. Maybe in the valley anything is possible?

Changes in state law (especially big ones) are distributed to all LEOs. Having said that, there are plenty of things that people do that result in a gun being seized, or a citation issued.

The authorization to carry comes with some rules. Make sure you know them. It would be smart for anyone who plans to carry a concealed weapon to read the misconduct involving weapons statutes very close. For instance, if contacted by police for any reason, you better tell them you're armed. If they figure it out on their own.....say bye bye to your gun, and hello to your citation.

Alaska statutes are so screwy, you can carry a concealed gun legally, but be arrested for carrying a gravity knife.

Default Question

What is a gravity knife ? and why is it illegal to carry ?

This may not be a subject for the shooting forums, but to answer the question, a "gravity knife" is a knife that usually, but not always has the blade housed in the handle so that when a button or latch is operated, the blade will slide out of the handle point first and latch in the extended position. This has to be done with the blade pointed down as "gravity", or the weight of the blade, operates the extension of the blade.
    Part two, they are unlawful to posess, transfer, or sell in the state as they are classified as an "automatic" knife like a spring operated switchblade.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

RMK

Default Thanks bugs

I guess I should have explained better what the knife was. The point I was trying to make, is that the law prohibits certain weapons from being carried concealed like big knives, brass knuckles, etc. Yet you can carry a gun. It just seems a bit goofy.

You are more or less limited to one of two things. You can either carry an "ordinary pocket knife," or a gun. Go figure.

Default Switch blades

Although not about guns if you research it, dates back to 1958-59 and the laws were written to prevent punks from carrying them. You can use them with certain restrictions, special ops., tactical teams, handicapped people.....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Are you guys sure the knifes are still illegal and werenít made legal when the laws were redone for gun carry? I have read all the weapons statutes and saw nothing about switch blades, stilettos, and the like. Anyone have an Alaska statute number or is it Federal?

Stupid law anyway since a folder with a thumb knob or hole is every bit as fast and usually stronger so a better weapon too boot.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

RMK

Default Misconduct Involving a weapon in the 5th Degree

The knife laws weren't affected by the gun laws.You can Look it up. (AS11.61.220 Misconduct Involving a Weapon in the 5th Degree)

I agree with you about the speed of a side opener. I actually practice with my Spyderco, and I can get it from the pocket and open in about a second and a half.

You are allowed an "ordinary pocket knife," but not much else. Of course there are several exceptions to the rule that I won't bore you with here. I'm not talking about walking around on your own property, or hunting, fishing, or trapping.

I'm talking about the average guy roaming around Anchorage.

I see it now, it's AS.11.61.220.a.5 and I read right over it somehow. The way I read the rest of it you could have a sward down your pants as long as you tell a LEO just like a gun. The ordinary pocket knife part is exempt from the duty to inform a LEO you have it, it’s not classed as a deadly weapon. That's the way it reads to me anyway.

When I was in high school in Arizona we took a class trip to Mexico and all us dumb kids smuggled switch blades back. We all thought we were cool and were practicing quick draw with them at a lunch stop in Tucson on the way back. Well one of the boys tripped the latch in his front pocket as he was drawing it, the dull blade hooked under his belt and it guided it into his gut as he was pulling it up. At the Tucson hospital the teachers gave us all the third degree till we surrendered our contraband knifes and I was ticked about losing my knife. I was smart enough to see from that the knife was next to useless as a weapon and more dangerous to the user than an attacker. But it was still a cool novel toy I wanted to keep and I’m still somewhat ticked at the kid that rated me out as having one.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

RMK

Default You are on to it now

Some weapons are cool as long as you tell a LEO you have them. Some are not allowed no matter what. (Switchblade or gravity knife) If you're under 21 you can't have any of it.

I stick by my original assessment. Gun legal....gravity knife illegal = goofy

Quote Originally Posted by RMK View Post
    Some weapons are cool as long as you tell a LEO you have them. Some are not allowed no matter what. (Switchblade or gravity knife) If you're under 21 you can't have any of it.

I stick by my original assessment. Gun legal....gravity knife illegal = goofy
    If your under 21 you cant conceal them.

RMK

Default that's what I said

That's why I said if you're under 21, you can't have any of them.

Of course there are some exceptions. If the under 21 person is in his own dwelling or on his own land or engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping where the weapon is needed for protection then it's fine.

The whole thread started with a question about carrying concealed, so I thought it was clear that what was being talked about. Sorry for any confusion. It got a little off topic with the subject of knives added to the discussion.

Default knives

I know we're straying a bit off-topic here, but this laws concerning "gravity" knives are just ridiculous. My Spyderco Endura, Cold-steel AK-47, Cold-Steel Ti-lites, and other pocket-opening type knives are faster than any gravity knife and most automatics as well, and they are perfectly legal!

There are so many everyday situations where a normal law-abiding working-man needs a knife to open easily with one hand, I think that the laws concerning automatic and gravity knives are totall overkill.

Keep felons and kids from getting their hands on them for sure, but let responsible citizens use the pocket knife of their choice, regardless of the opening mechanism. Just my stinky two cents,
    -J