Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-06 & 115 Ballistic Silvertip vs Buck Antelope

Default 25-06 & 115 Ballistic Silvertip vs Buck Antelope

Just thought I would post this thread for your viewing and reading pleasure.

This buck was shot @ 280 lazered yards. The rifle is a Sendero 25-06 that I purchased used. The load is 55 gr of RL17 pushing a 115 Ballistic Silvertip at about 3405 fps according to my chrony. Win brass and Fed 210 primers. <I just shot the same load out of some Rem brass and got about 30 fps more velocity.> The rifle and load shoot a fairly consistant sub.5 MOA out to 427 yds. The rifle is topped with a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 scope, and zeroed to 300 yds.

I spotted this herd of about a dozen antelope with 4 bucks. None of them were real big and this was about the biggest of the bunch with 12 1/2" horns. I had to sneak up behind a low rise of ground and belly up the last 10 yards or so to get into a good shooting position. I ranged the near and far goats in the herd to get the general range and scoped the 4 bucks to pick out the best. The terrain was sparsley covered with grass and some low growing sage brush. In short, very little cover. One of the bucks detected me lying prone, from 300 yds although I was very still, just barely moving my scope back and forth. He watched me for a couple of minutes and then went back to grazing. I picked a buck and settled the crosshairs on the seam of the shoulder, about mid body and broke the trigger. I heard the thwap and the buck took of immediately to my left at full speed like he wasn't hit. Almost right away he started into a right turn away from me and ran in a about a 30 yd circle and piled up at about the spot I hit him. To bad I had procrastinated in buying doe tags until they had been sold out. The herd stopped when the buck went down and I could have got at least another doe, maybe two.

Here you can see the entry hole in the seam of the shoulder.

Here, I have turned him over and you can see the exit which shows it was a slightly quartering toward shot. TYou can also some blood and lung material on the ground where he was laying before I turned him over. A very nice exit hole IMO. I was very surprised he went anywhere let alone as far as he did.

Rifle with speed goat.

A view of the entry hole just under the hide. As you can see, expansion was very quick. I figured the impact velocity at about 2800 fps. The blood shot appearance was only surface deep. I lost almost no meat on this buck and it was very tasty to my surprise. I figured it for a sage buck but it must have had a good source of hay.

A view of the exit hole, slightly larger than the entry at about 1 1/2 - 2". I was very happy with the perfromance of this bullet in this instance, and very surprised the buck didn't go right down.

Hope you enjoyed the presentation

Yes sir, that right there is as about as good as it can be done. He was dead on impact whether he new it or not. I would say your round matches the critter very well.

Nice job!

Thanks EKC, Antelope hunting is a lot of fun. It's great for spot and stalk hunitng. And shooting a 25-06 is a whole lotta fun too. Especially out of a rifle like a Sendero.

Awesome shooting! That is a smoking load out of your 25-06! Looks like you ahve found a perfect antelope rifle! Scotty

Default Might be careful with the 115 BST

I shot two caribou at 480yds with this same bullet and had similar results. My 257 Weatherby Mag smokes those things out of the barrel at a similar 3400fps. The BST is not rated for impacts above 3100fps and in that I made a mistake. I took a third caribou at 40FEET with results that looked like he was hit with a hand grenade. A shot in the sternal notch, dead center, did not penetrate the sternum--the Ballistic Silvertip exploded, along with the right side of his chest. The result was a LOT of lost meat.

Nice shootin' no matter what!

Cheers,

IceKing02

Eastern Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by beretzs View Post
    Awesome shooting! That is a smoking load out of your 25-06! Looks like you ahve found a perfect antelope rifle! Scotty
    Thanks Beretzs, the rifle makes it pretty easy. It is sweet. Yup, RL17 gives my 25-06, 257 Wby ballistics. It's 400 fps faster than factory loads and 200 fps faster than Retumbo and H1000 which were the next fastest loads, and great accuracy too. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    I shot two caribou at 480yds with this same bullet and had similar results. My 257 Weatherby Mag smokes those things out of the barrel at a similar 3400fps. The BST is not rated for impacts above 3100fps and in that I made a mistake. I took a third caribou at 40FEET with results that looked like he was hit with a hand grenade. A shot in the sternal notch, dead center, did not penetrate the sternum--the Ballistic Silvertip exploded, along with the right side of his chest. The result was a LOT of lost meat.

Nice shootin' no matter what!

Cheers,

IceKing02
    Yeah, I hear ya about the 115 BST's Iceking. They are essentially the same as a Ballistic tip which is a highly frangible bullet and I also knew about the 3100 fps upper limit. I shoot very few speed goats inside 200 yds so that's helpful. I like the higher BC bullets for flatter shooting and longe ranges and there isn't a great selection of high BC controlled expansion bullets in the 25 cal. Nosler is coming out with a new 100 gr E-Tip which should have a descent BC and good expansion characteristics. I would expect 3600-3700 fps with that bullet out of this rifle. GS is also supposed to be coming out with a new LR line of bullets and their bullets have a very good rep for killing. It should be a very intertesting year.

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    Eastern Montana?
    Yup, SE Montana near Alzada.

Default Nice antelope

MontanaRifleman, nice shooting and good pictures of that antelope. Been a while since I was antelope hunting and always in Wyoming. They sure are fun and sometimes frustrating to hunt. Sounds like you have that 25-06 tuned right in, great job.

Nice pics, good story and good shooting.

That NF scope is the same model a buddy of mine is putting on a 6.5X47 Lapua. Nice optics and well suited for your cartridge.

Is that electrcial tape covering you muzzle? Do you shoot through it or pull it off prior to the shot. If you shoot through it have you ever tried shooting groups to see if it affects the shot. I haven't used tape but I imagine the blast gets rid of it prior to the bullet exit.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I haven't used tape but I imagine the blast gets rid of it prior to the bullet exit.
    That would be correct; the escaping gases that precede the bullet traveling down the barrel cut/perforate the tape before the bullet reaches the tape--it has no effect on your bullet.

I hunt near Redig Sd out of Buffalo. My brother shot a nice buck this year with his 25-06. Here is a pic of my from further east. Of course after I shot this 14.5" and went back to archery mule deer hunting I see a nice 16" bucks the next two days.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    MontanaRifleman, nice shooting and good pictures of that antelope. Been a while since I was antelope hunting and always in Wyoming. They sure are fun and sometimes frustrating to hunt. Sounds like you have that 25-06 tuned right in, great job.
    Thanks Markopolo, a gal friend of mine calls me that Yup, antelope hunting is by far the most fun hunting I have ever had. You can often get multiple tags and when you're out with a few friends there's usually a lot of action. Have taken away several truck loads of goats over the years after one or two days of hunting And yeah, it can be frustrating too. Just before seeing this herd, I had seen a nice buck by himself as I was driving down the highway to another location. So I pulled over, down the road and worked up to a spot about 400 yds from him and I had to crawl under a fence, in plain view of the buck to get any kind of a shot on him. I moved slowly and carefully, keeping my eye on him and got under the fence and just about in position when he looked up and looked back behind him and there were three more bucks a few hundred yards behind himi hadn't seen them but they sure saw me and the jig was up. The lone buck trotted back to them and I was trying to range them but the LRF wasn't cooperating in the sun and snow and they all trotted off. Then of course, there's the *****ly pear I used to always come home with multiple spines in me and man were they a nusance.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Nice pics, good story and good shooting.

That NF scope is the same model a buddy of mine is putting on a 6.5X47 Lapua. Nice optics and well suited for your cartridge.

Is that electrcial tape covering you muzzle? Do you shoot through it or pull it off prior to the shot. If you shoot through it have you ever tried shooting groups to see if it affects the shot. I haven't used tape but I imagine the blast gets rid of it prior to the bullet exit.
    Thanks Marshal, I love that scope, and IMO, it's the best possible scope I could have for my style of hunting. I thought about getting the 3.5-15 instead but settled on the 5.5-22 and am very happy with it. Most of my hunting is open country and with a little practice, it's not hard to bring that scope up on target, on the 5.5x setting. I had it dialed to 10x for this shot. On 22x, I can see 30 cal bullet holes on paper targets
    @ 427 yds. On 5.5x, I can easily line up on softball size rocks and such at well over 1000 yds.

Like 1 Cor said, no problems with shooting through the tape. I started doing it a couple of years ago and I cant tell that it has had any affect. I have probably shot through tape about 5 times now at game with no issues and no misses. I remeber a few years ago, negotiating a steep mountain slope covered with snow and lodgepole. Snow came falling down on me and the rifle constantly and I slipped a few times. result, snow got down the bore a few times and the temwas such that it melted in the sun and froze in the shade. Not a good thing to shoot with ice in the bore, or pine needles or anything else. I was basically taking a walk that day with my rifle. The hunt was over the first time snow got down the bore. I would like to shoot a group with it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    I hunt near Redig Sd out of Buffalo. My brother shot a nice buck this year with his 25-06. Here is a pic of my from further east. Of course after I shot this 14.5" and went back to archery mule deer hunting I see a nice 16" bucks the next two days.
    That is a nice buck! I got a 14 1/2er last year. A Texas heart shot at about 180 yds. We dont get too mnay 16 inchers in Montana.

All of this 25-06 talk is putting me in a bind. Mother says no more guns until we recover from our income tax way-laying. BO took alot of my $ and sent them to his buddies in New Orleans that ain't got jobs and ain't fixen to get one either. He thinks he's a modern day Robin Hood but Robin Hood never stole from the poor to give to the lazy! There is hope as one of my snow pushing/firewood buying customers just handed me $500 cash that momma don't know exists. CDNN is advertising in Shotgun News that they have I-Bolts in camo/silver weathershield in 25-06 flavor for $450.

One of the guns that I let get away that I really wish I had back was a custom 25-06. I kept the dies and 4 full boxes of 85 grain Noslers in .257 caliber knowing I'd have one of those magical 25-06's again one day.

We have no speed goats around here but the coyotes seem to be getting smarter every year and hang up just out of range. Seems to me the thing to do would be to extend the range. Should I ?????????

Do you shoot many coyotes with that rig MR?

EKC, I have never really got into coyote hunting but I want to fix that. Below is the only coyote I have ever shot and I got it this year with a very similar outfit... Sendero with the same the very same scope, only the cartridge was a tad bigger... 300 RUM shooitng a 210 Berger @3150. I was elk hunting and this coyote came along so I decided to take a shot at it. His left year leg was just dangling and had a real bad case of mange. His tail looked like a rat. He was trotting along stopping for a couple of seconds now and then but not long enough for a steady shot. The sage was too high for a bi-pod but I was next to a tree that had branch that made a good rest. I got him in view in the scope as he was loping along about 120 yds away (lazered) and led him about a half a body. He disapperared from sight and when I walked up to him, I saw that I had hit him right in the head. I would say it was about 90&#37; luck.

You know I'm gonna say, yeah go for those long range yotes. I saw a video of a guy who shot one at 700 yds and have read a lot of reports of guys shooting them well past 500 yds. With a good fast, flat shooting load, 500 yds is about the limit for good first shot reliability using just holdover IMO, and it helps to have a good range finder. I've read some good stories of shots out to 1000 yds and better, but the farther you go the more invlolved it gets. 600-700 yd shooting is fairly easy with a good set up and range finder, and a scope with target turrets or graduated reticle is essential for drops at those ranges as I'm sure you know.

But I say, heck yeah, go for it! It's a blast. Pick a spot with a good view and call'em in. And since I know you love cats so much, here's a great idea a friend of mine told me. Get yourself cat - a real whinner. And stick it in a kitty carrier and put it out there on the prairie and let it whine and scream. He said there ain't no better coyote call than that.

I think the 25-06 is about the best sweet shooting, LR coyote cartridge there is. Now of course, my rifle (26" barrel) and load shoot like a 257 Wby. If I was going to develop a LR coyote load, I would use 115 Berger VLDs (BC of .466) being pushed out of my Sendero at 3400 fps. That gives me bullet expansion out to 900 yds plus, at my elevation. With a 300 yd zero, the drop at 400 yds is 7" and at 20" at 500 yds. If you want fast, flat and reach, the heavier high BC bullets are the way to go and RL17 kicks butt with velocity.

I just remebered that 3400 fps is too fast for the regular or "hunting" VLDs. The thicker target VLDs are needed for faster velocities.

Nice outfit, but the scope does look a little huge for the rifle

Quote Originally Posted by R Walter View Post
    Nice outfit, but the scope does look a little huge for the rifle
    Thanks, the scope has a 4" sunshade on it which is very useful

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Sendero with the same the very same scope, only the cartridge was a tad bigger... 300 RUM shooitng a 210 Berger @3150.
    I just picked up a box of 210 VLDH's last week. Getting ready to work up a load with RL25 in the 300RUM. What are you loading over to get 3150fps from a 210gr Berger, that's pretty fast for weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast